ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers vs. Pelicans Summer League Game Thread 7/8 7:30 PM PST (Practice Updates+SCRIMMAGE VIDEO PG 2)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Who will be the leading scorer for the Lakers?

D'angelo Russell
62%
Brandon Ingram
15%
Anthony Brown
3%
Larry Nance Jr.
3%
Ivica Zubac
13%
Jabari Brown
1%
Zach Auguste
3%
Other
1%

Total votes: 78

Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Re: Lakers vs. Pelicans Summer League Game Thread 7/8 7:30 PM PST (Practice Updates+SCRIMMAGE VIDEO PG 2) 

Post#361 » by Tee212 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:31 am

nance has great help defender ball instinct. you can see what his body allows him to do this game vs last years play
KingKyrie1
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Re: Lakers vs. Pelicans Summer League Game Thread 7/8 7:30 PM PST (Practice Updates+SCRIMMAGE VIDEO PG 2) 

Post#362 » by KingKyrie1 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:29 am

I'm jealous of you picking Zubac, he could have helped the Cavs so much but they keep trading picks.
Zubac is the real deal.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#363 » by yitur » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:58 am

ROballer wrote:Image

Marc Gasol as a senior in HS (18 yrs old)

He's the definition of a late bloomer ...most guys didn't even think he could become a top C going forward, at that age especially
He really broke through at 22-23 yrs old( drafted at 22 yrs old as well)
I mean ****, he was nicknamed "The Big Burrito" in HS :lol: :lol:

So Zubac's definitely got the edge over him at the same age ...let's hope he has the same steep improvement Marc had

Is that Brandan Wright on the background??
chefy12
Junior
And1: 78

Post#364 » by chefy12 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 10:29 am

I want to be 6'9 tall with 7'4 wingspan in my next life
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#365 » by yitur » Sat Jul 9, 2016 11:05 am

By the way where can I find the full game??
MrWaffles
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#366 » by MrWaffles » Sat Jul 9, 2016 2:41 pm

Great game. Saw some great things from our core. Some notes

-D'Angelo clearly started off trying to do way too much. He was forcing passes and being careless while driving into the lane. Once he settled down, the game became easy too him.

-Ingram: WOW. I don't know how you take Simmons over Ingram. His length, his IQ, his defense, his ability to shoot and drive. He's got an amazing future. He's clearly our face of the franchise now.

-Nance : He needs to retire a Laker, bottom line. He does all the little things and seems to be growing more and more confident with his offensive game. Out of all the current Lakers, Nancy and Ingram are untouchable IMO.

-Zubac. WOW. He looks really polished for only being 19. He can move his feet, he can block shots, has shown he can score, and seems to be well rounded on defense. He told Nance he loves playing for the Lakers. Ryan West and the scouting department deserve a raise for this draft pick. Glad he fell to us. I would prefer Zubac over Mozgov at this point, but that won't happen.

Brown - this kid can clamp down on defense. that's what he was projected to do in this league and he displayed it last night. He looks very awkward at creating his own shot and shooting alone, but i'm sure that will come.

Great game, great core. Now only if Randle and Clarkson were playing.. we could have our whole starting five out there lol.

Let's beat the sixers tonight.
nba_rant
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#367 » by nba_rant » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:05 pm

For the first time playing together, our boys were as smooth and as cohesive as I would have thought. DLo started off slow, but got into a groove later. Ingram is gonna be a star, I can just tell, his length and skill is just going to be a nightmare to defend. Not even worried about his process of bulking up and strength gain. He's only 18. For some reason I thought we would jack up more threes, but regardless the offense was much more fluid than last season. Ball movement is light years ahead of last year, and these are the rooks!!!

"Zubee" played out of his mind and I could tell his excitement making plays, that grin with his braces shining out was like a 16 year old kid that just passed his driving exam. It's been mentioned here quite often, but Ill say it again and concur that "Zubee" really reminds me of a younger, MUCH more athletic Marc Gasol. I just hope he's not the next Travis Knight..jk LOL!! What a bright future. Reminds me of the summer of '96. :D
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#368 » by dockingsched » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:43 pm

Tom Penn was unbearable, besides the Russell stuff, it was annoying to hear him say like 3-4 times that lakers better be doing well cause this is the lakers regular season lineup and that this possibly their starting lineup.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#369 » by Landsberger » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:59 pm

Zubac was the most impressive to me. For his position in the draft he showed the most. If the team would have actually passed him the ball he would have had 20 last night. 11pts on 4 shots and 5 post touches.

Ingram looked good too. He needs some weight on that stickman frame by the time the regular season starts however. Teams are going to be physical with him. He has the ability to create shots and space for himself to work. He looked the part last night.

I've never been a big Russell fan and last night's game reminded me why. Too lackadaisical with the ball, focus for 1/4 of the time and ball handling is still not quite there for his position. His results looked good in the box but he didn't look like last years number 2 pick should playing against a bunch of guys who will be in City League ball next year. Most of his points don't happen in the regular season against a coordinated defense. He still has a ways to go and not sure he'll get there. Can't keep blaming Scott this year.

Nance looks like a 5 year vet. He plays within himself and actually knows the game. Zubac likewise has a high BB IQ.

Brown looks like he will be at best the 14th guy this year. On a 30 win team he'd be cut by now.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#370 » by Slava » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:09 pm

Just finished watching the game on tape delay. Russell looks ready to take the season by the scruff and Ingram showed a ton more explosiveness than I'd expected to see from him and he's uber naturally smooth.

Having said that the competition is utterly weak and tomorrow's game against the 76ers might be a more adequate test.

Zubac impressed me with his help defense whcih I didn't think he had and his timing plus tenacity was a pleasant surprise on some blocks. His game is still very raw and forced a couple of shots.

Anthony brown keeps disappointing even in a game that was heavily in our favor. His defense was however impressive.

More than anything else though, there is finally some joy, ball movement and passion in the team and that I treasure most.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#371 » by iamworthy » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:20 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/drewgarrisonsbn/status/751630674512060416[/tweet]

:lol:
BLITZ976
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#372 » by BLITZ976 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:05 pm

iamworthy wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/drewgarrisonsbn/status/751630674512060416[/tweet]

:lol:

Yes I remember this from last night. The announcer looks over to see if Jim could hear him speaking..then continued talking trash about him lol.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#373 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:21 pm

I really felt bad for Jim Buss last night. The front office has made some real trash decisions the last 4 years, but at the same time so has 80% of front offices in the NBA. Teams in the NBA will go through 10 year droughts of just bad draft pick after bad draft pick. Then after that, they become mediocre and hold on to an all star for too long and build around them with minimal improvement perpetuating the "treadmill"- not good enough to get to a conference finals and not bad enough to get a good player in the draft.

The dude has this magnified LA drama surrounding him (no thanks to Jeannie). Looking at the talent our front office has brought in through the draft and the health dose of reality that has hit them like a ton of bricks (as seen with this year's free agency) I'm not upset. Sure, they could have done better, but they're back on track of out-performing 80% of the front office's in the league again. JIM AND MITCH GOT ROBBED BY THE LEAGUE IN THE CHRIS PAUL TRADE. We had a clear direction to continue the path of Laker greats for another decade through that trade and then through free agency. The result of "basketball reasons" destroyed the realtionship between Pau and our front office and the constant shopping of Gasol hurt us big time in terms of trade value in the long run. We went to plan B and got Dwight through trade which was a decent move, but in the long run it sure as hell wasn't the same as getting an all-time great pg like CP3.

The Nash trade still is hurting us today, but hell every front office makes a garbage decision at some point. The amount of money they gave Kobe was painful, but I get it. We don't want to be that franchise that let's a legend go, rather we want to send a bold message of sending them off right. We're going to see what making the opposite decision does for a franchise in MIami over the next couple years.

Anyways I just want to say yeah the front office has had a real bad stretch and made terrible decisions the last 4 years, but at the same time so has the majority of all the other front offices for decades. I'm so happy summer league is back and I can't wait for the NBA season to start cause I'm tired of reading about the whispers of drama that beat writers are putting out there to keep us "entertained". This is basketball, this is a game that people follow to find joy in life. If I want drama I'll watch a soap opera. Let's watch these kids grow and enjoy the journey starting from the bottom back to the top. It's going to take a few years, but it's coming. That's a lot better than the treadmill teams out there (Suns, Blazers, Jazz, Rockets, Heat, Mavericks, Raptors, Pacers, Grizzlies, Wizards, etc. seriously the list is 80% of the league)
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#374 » by Fat » Sat Jul 9, 2016 5:50 pm

you guys keep drafting players i like, i might have to start watching lakers basketball lol. D'angelo was my guy last draft, and ingram was my guy this draft. Both look good, Ingrams length alone is something to be excited about he's going to be good especially if he puts on some weight.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
AGAVE
Junior
And1: 65

Post#375 » by AGAVE » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:19 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:It just hit me how much Ingram looks like Sam Perkins. One of my sneaky favorite Lakers from back in the day.

At least someone else sees what I see.
The Big Smoothe
Respect Elgin Baylor
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#376 » by Jakay » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 am

AGAVE wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:It just hit me how much Ingram looks like Sam Perkins. One of my sneaky favorite Lakers from back in the day.

At least someone else sees what I see.
The Big Smoothe

Thin Smooth might be more apt.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#377 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:11 am

what would jack bauer do? wrote:I really felt bad for Jim Buss last night. The front office has made some real trash decisions the last 4 years, but at the same time so has 80% of front offices in the NBA. Teams in the NBA will go through 10 year droughts of just bad draft pick after bad draft pick. Then after that, they become mediocre and hold on to an all star for too long and build around them with minimal improvement perpetuating the "treadmill"- not good enough to get to a conference finals and not bad enough to get a good player in the draft.

The dude has this magnified LA drama surrounding him (no thanks to Jeannie). Looking at the talent our front office has brought in through the draft and the health dose of reality that has hit them like a ton of bricks (as seen with this year's free agency) I'm not upset. Sure, they could have done better, but they're back on track of out-performing 80% of the front office's in the league again. JIM AND MITCH GOT ROBBED BY THE LEAGUE IN THE CHRIS PAUL TRADE. We had a clear direction to continue the path of Laker greats for another decade through that trade and then through free agency. The result of "basketball reasons" destroyed the realtionship between Pau and our front office and the constant shopping of Gasol hurt us big time in terms of trade value in the long run. We went to plan B and got Dwight through trade which was a decent move, but in the long run it sure as hell wasn't the same as getting an all-time great pg like CP3.

The Nash trade still is hurting us today, but hell every front office makes a garbage decision at some point. The amount of money they gave Kobe was painful, but I get it. We don't want to be that franchise that let's a legend go, rather we want to send a bold message of sending them off right. We're going to see what making the opposite decision does for a franchise in MIami over the next couple years.

Anyways I just want to say yeah the front office has had a real bad stretch and made terrible decisions the last 4 years, but at the same time so has the majority of all the other front offices for decades. I'm so happy summer league is back and I can't wait for the NBA season to start cause I'm tired of reading about the whispers of drama that beat writers are putting out there to keep us "entertained". This is basketball, this is a game that people follow to find joy in life. If I want drama I'll watch a soap opera. Let's watch these kids grow and enjoy the journey starting from the bottom back to the top. It's going to take a few years, but it's coming. That's a lot better than the treadmill teams out there (Suns, Blazers, Jazz, Rockets, Heat, Mavericks, Raptors, Pacers, Grizzlies, Wizards, etc. seriously the list is 80% of the league)

That bad stretch had to do with Jim Buss getting sick and people in a rush to get back to contention. Heck if that cp3 trade was never vetoed we'd all be thinking Jim buss and Mitch are geniuses. I like the moves we have made and our draft picks that we secured the last few seasons. This next season should be fun. Expectations are high because I think we have a chance to make the playoffs if dangelo keeps climbing the ladder.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#378 » by myersia » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm

ROballer wrote:
myersia wrote:Wow. For those saying Russell is going to break out this season...might have to lower expectations a lot

Are you seriously saying this after a meaningless SUMMER scrimmage? I mean, for real

Sarcasm. You should know by now. :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers