Russ mans up.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,392

Re: Trading for Russell Westbrook 

Post#242 » by Danny Darko » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:42 am

cool... He's a FA again by the time we will know if which of these youngins are panning out. If it's not Dlo then Russel will be in play, we'll have a product worthy of joining, and Russell will have been a guy who didn't run away from the challenge before him.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#243 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:43 am

As disappointed I am about this as a Laker fan, my level of respect for Westbrook went up infinitley as a result of this.
Formerly lakerRD
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#244 » by slifersd » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:03 am

Another opportunity lost on getting a top level player. Jimmy and Mitch are like, 0 for 100, at this point on luring major players now. I really don't know why they are all still around. If we wanted to do nothing more than draft and tank, then we should've gotten Sam Hinkie.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#245 » by larry14r » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:37 am

slifersd wrote:Another opportunity lost on getting a top level player. Jimmy and Mitch are like, 0 for 100, at this point on luring major players now. I really don't know why they are all still around. If we wanted to do nothing more than draft and tank, then we should've gotten Sam Hinkie.

Oh please stop your crying because the Lakers never had a chance, and I don't blame them because we're not trading our youth for rentals remember they have to tank to undo the damage done with the Nash and Howard trades. So next time think before you run your mouth.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#246 » by Slava » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:54 am

Bigger joke is Danny Ainge making jokingly derisory bids and failing with another star player trade. Lakers don't have the resources to trader for Westbrook AND subsequently convince him to stay.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#247 » by slifersd » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:19 am

larry14r wrote:
slifersd wrote:Another opportunity lost on getting a top level player. Jimmy and Mitch are like, 0 for 100, at this point on luring major players now. I really don't know why they are all still around. If we wanted to do nothing more than draft and tank, then we should've gotten Sam Hinkie.

Oh please stop your crying because the Lakers never had a chance, and I don't blame them because we're not trading our youth for rentals remember they have to tank to undo the damage done with the Nash and Howard trades. So next time think before you run your mouth.

Never had a chance in terms of what? And how do you know that? Were you one of the guys who "knew" there was "no way in hell Westbrook stays with OKC" a couple of weeks ago? Seeing as how Westbrook is willing to commit to an OKC team that has no chance at a championship anytime soon, I would think we had a chance at keeping him had we traded for him.

The Nash and Howard trades did do major damage, but to put all the blame on that and completely ignore the fact that Jimmy and Mitch did absolutely nothing to help the team in the last three years other than drafting is, well, inaccurate. So now, because we lost two trades, we are just gonna sit on our hands and not do this trade thing any more? It's draft or nothing? Youth is good, but the risk is also very high. Many teams built good teams through the draft, many others failed even though early returns looked promising. Careful what you wish for, a full blown youth movement led by Jimmy could lead us into the Sacramento Kings territory for the next decade.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#248 » by iQon » Thu Aug 4, 2016 11:17 am

IDK why people are so butthurt over this. I urged as many Lakers fan as I could not to get too invested in this guy coming here. The whole "he's from LA"-angle was always a crock and not any sort of cache to secure him.

Folks, this is our new reality. We are not hitting homeruns anymore. The last 3 or 4 years should be proof of that. We aren't even getting meetings at this point! Wake up and join us in 2016.

All hope is not lost. We do have a new coaching staff and a decent group of young men. There's quite a few lottery teams that would kill for our roster. They're seriously that bad. It's not the end of the world. Relax.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#249 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 11:38 am

so basically we're on our way to becoming the new timberwolves, well thats a lovely thought then.

I really hope the kids can pull through i really do otherwise this is a huge waste
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#250 » by ak7 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 12:27 pm

iQon wrote:IDK why people are so butthurt over this. I urged as many Lakers fan as I could not to get too invested in this guy coming here. The whole "he's from LA"-angle was always a crock and not any sort of cache to secure him.

Folks, this is our new reality. We are not hitting homeruns anymore. The last 3 or 4 years should be proof of that. We aren't even getting meetings at this point! Wake up and join us in 2016.

All hope is not lost. We do have a new coaching staff and a decent group of young men. There's quite a few lottery teams that would kill for our roster. They're seriously that bad. It's not the end of the world. Relax.

:crazy:

We've had some type of meetings with every major free agent in the past 4-5 seasons except for Durant - and he joined a super team due to his desire to win in the moment. Stop reaching.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#251 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 1:34 pm

You all know that he has an Opt out after the first year right?

So really all this does is make him vastly more tradable. Now teams aren't stuck crossing their fingers on this '1 year loan' thing. Now they have 2 years to convince him. This also gives the Thunder a little time...and increases their options.

The 2 scenarios I see are this: A)Nobody is willing to trade a bunch for Westbrook since its a roll of the dice. OKC convinced him that if he signs for just 1 more season...suddenly the flood-gates of opportunity will open for both sides. Which is prob the truth.

B)Westbrook did actually want to give this a try, but OKC was like "look...we cant walk away screwed next season. So we're trading you unless you give us SOMETHING in the way of commitment". But with his future right in the same boat next offseason, how can they expect to sign guys to 4-year deals to come play with him?

So I dunno......to me this whole thing makes it look like he is more likely to be traded. I think this makes Westbrook look good. It gives both sides a chance to not do anything rushed and panic-stricken.....but more than anything else, it make him much more attractive to other teams.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#252 » by larry14r » Thu Aug 4, 2016 1:51 pm

slifersd wrote:
larry14r wrote:

Never had a chance in terms of what? And how do you know that? Were you one of the guys who "knew" there was "no way in hell Westbrook stays with OKC" a couple of weeks ago? Seeing as how Westbrook is willing to commit to an OKC team that has no chance at a championship anytime soon, I would think we had a chance at keeping him had we traded for him.

The Nash and Howard trades did do major damage, but to put all the blame on that and completely ignore the fact that Jimmy and Mitch did absolutely nothing to help the team in the last three years other than drafting is, well, inaccurate. So now, because we lost two trades, we are just gonna sit on our hands and not do this trade thing any more? It's draft or nothing? Youth is good, but the risk is also very high. Many teams built good teams through the draft, many others failed even though early returns looked promising. Careful what you wish for, a full blown youth movement led by Jimmy could lead us into the Sacramento Kings territory for the next decade.

At first I thought he going to leave and we get him in free agency next summer, but I didn't realize that OKC wasn't done yet. As for us sitting on our hands part the answer is yes and no and the trades we should be making it to get expiring contact and draft picks because we're going to need them especially what we are going to lose in the next three years.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#253 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:39 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:You all know that he has an Opt out after the first year right? .

That was my understanding. Theres alot to interpret there. Unless that is not the case. No option after 1st
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#254 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:59 pm

OKC is absolutely DONE without KD. You do not lose a top dawg like KD and not feel the pinch. Those are the facts. Westbrook will get the message after a full year without him. Hopeless is the feeling after looking around and seeing who he has to pass the ball to. Then the options kick in....
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#255 » by dockingsched » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:22 pm

Very happy to see this happen, his career trajectory isnt in line with the lakers timeline and now some fans don't have to have the worry about the front office pulling a potentially disastrous move of trading for Westbrook.

Also, not sure why Westbrook is getting all this praise as if this isn't a move that maximizes his potential earnings in addition to providing security of immediately guaranteeing years. some are making it seem like it's 100% about loyalty.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#256 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:26 pm

Slava wrote:Bigger joke is Danny Ainge making jokingly derisory bids and failing with another star player trade. Lakers don't have the resources to trader for Westbrook AND subsequently convince him to stay.

So Ainge was supposed to give up a ton of assets for a player he had no guarantee would stay in Boston beyond this season? OK!!!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#257 » by dockingsched » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:40 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Slava wrote:Bigger joke is Danny Ainge making jokingly derisory bids and failing with another star player trade. Lakers don't have the resources to trader for Westbrook AND subsequently convince him to stay.

So Ainge was supposed to give up a ton of assets for a player he had no guarantee would stay in Boston beyond this season? OK!!!
the joke for me is how Ainge and/or ownership always seem to publicize that they pursued certain trade targets and wash their hands of any blame /responsibility for not being able to finish the deal.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#258 » by iQon » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:56 pm

ak7 wrote:
iQon wrote:IDK why people are so butthurt over this. I urged as many Lakers fan as I could not to get too invested in this guy coming here. The whole "he's from LA"-angle was always a crock and not any sort of cache to secure him.

:crazy:

We've had some type of meetings with every major free agent in the past 4-5 seasons except for Durant - and he joined a super team due to his desire to win in the moment. Stop reaching.

Yes, because after Durant, Mozgov and Deng were the 1B every team was vying for. Do you pout when a girl rejects you, as well?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#259 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 4, 2016 4:08 pm

dockingsched wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

the joke for me is how Ainge and/or ownership always seem to publicize that they pursued certain trade targets and wash their hands of any blame /responsibility for not being able to finish the deal.

Yeah, Wyc Grousbeck does have a pretty big mouth, I will give you that. However, backing away from a deal where they don't feel comfortable giving up assets for a rental is something hardly worth ridicule.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#260 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Aug 4, 2016 4:30 pm

Spens1 wrote:so basically we're on our way to becoming the new timberwolves, well thats a lovely thought then.

I really hope the kids can pull through i really do otherwise this is a huge waste

Oh man, I think the TWolves are in great shape. They have a great young core and a proven coach. Their 2 best players, KAT and Wiggins, are better than anyone on the Lakers right now. I'd switch places with the TWolves in a sec.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers