ImageImageImageImageImage

What route do we take with Ingram?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

What route do we take with Ingram? 

Post#1 » by XtotheDeezy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:41 am

I doubt he will be a starter until at least a month or two into the season, but I was mulling a different approach. I don't think Walton should give him minutes for the first week or two of games. Let Russel/Clarkson/Randle show their cohesive development without having to incorporate Ingram into the mix. Let Ingram watch the game from the sidelines and start developing an outsider looking in approach from the bench. Then we bring him in spot minutes/garbage minutes. Let him get a feel for all parts of an NBA game.

I think around Jan, he would be coming off the bench but getting more minutes than Deng. Then he's a full time started after the All-Star Break.

What do you guys think?
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Re: What route do we take with Ingram? 

Post#2 » by NYCLaker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Honestly, if our record sucks by midyear, I would imagine we would indirectly tank to get the top 3 pick and just play Ingram and Zubac as much as possible.

I feel neither are ready to be key players, however, if our season is already going down the drain, record wise, we might as well.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#3 » by TylersLakers » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Ingram off the bench to start the season, playing between 24-28 MPG. Deng playing 26-30 MPG in a starting role.

Clarkson, Russell, Randle will be between 32-36 MPG. Nance between 24-28 MPG.

Add in Mosgov, Williams, Jianlian, Calderon and that's a solid 9 man rotation. Zubac will be brought along the same way Bynum was.
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#4 » by TwoStarz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:30 pm

How giving a top 2 pick several dnp to start the season a good idea....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using RealGM mobile app
cambomvmt
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#5 » by cambomvmt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 am

what better way to instill confidence in your 18yr old rookie by not playing him at all
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:12 am

I think you've gotta throw him in there right away so he doesn't have time to overthink things. It will be interesting if he doesn't start as traditionally a top pick does so, but I think Deng will. I think he might be the type like D'Angelo to start off slow and then sort of get comfortable and confident and then really catch on. The good news is he had that Select Team experience and that will be invaluable in expediting the learning curve.

We do have a lot of guys who will all have a new responsibility on their shoulders. A new coaching staff and a new system. It's going to be a lot to juggle for everyone involved to start things off.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#7 » by Goudelock » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:34 am

cambomvmt wrote:what better way to instill confidence in your 18yr old rookie by not playing him at all

man up.

Anyways, i'm all for having Ingram come off the bench, as long his minutes don't change like the direction of the wind.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#8 » by AcecardZ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 am

I'd be surprised to see Ingram get more than 12-15 mins a game before the all-star break. He's 19 and likely going to be physically outmatched for another 8-12 months.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#9 » by SashaTheMachine » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 am

off bench.
PICKnPOP
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#10 » by PICKnPOP » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 am

#2 pick...he will have to earn the spot as a starter but it's his to lose IMO. Russell started right away and so did Randle despite all the holes in his game. I don't see why they would treat Ingram any different.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#11 » by Slava » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 am

Given our poor SF depth, I can see him getting plenty of playing time. He should be penciled in at SF when we go small with Deng at the 4.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Post#12 » by WVlakerfan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 am

PICKnPOP wrote:#2 pick...he will have to earn the spot as a starter but it's his to lose IMO. Russell started right away and so did Randle despite all the holes in his game. I don't see why they would treat Ingram any different.

Difference is we didn't just pay 18 mill a year to a guy that plays the same position as Russell and Randle. As soon as they decided to move Kobe to the 3 and JC to the 2 Russell was the best point guard on the roster. You could argue that Randle was not better than bass but we used Bass as more of a 5.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#13 » by PKABOOICU » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 pm

Im not as excited for Ingram as I was for Russell last year. I knew Russell was going to be really good, and he's shown strides of improvement. Im not really feeling the same thing for Ingram yet, although Ingram did have a better Rookie SL than Russell did. Im more excited about Zubac because I see a lot of Marc Gasol in him.
PICKnPOP
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#14 » by PICKnPOP » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:50 pm

WVlakerfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:#2 pick...he will have to earn the spot as a starter but it's his to lose IMO. Russell started right away and so did Randle despite all the holes in his game. I don't see why they would treat Ingram any different.

Difference is we didn't just pay 18 mill a year to a guy that plays the same position as Russell and Randle. As soon as they decided to move Kobe to the 3 and JC to the 2 Russell was the best point guard on the roster. You could argue that Randle was not better than bass but we used Bass as more of a 5.

I think they signed boozer during Randle's rookie year and Lou Williams during Russell's (they already had Clarkson capable of playing the 1). The obvious answer to why they signed players capable of playing the same position as their high draft picks is to bring them along slowly. I think that's true, but I also think there is more to it.

I think they also chose these players to help gauge how good their rookies are. Fully expecting the rooks to be able to compete for that starting spot. If they prove that they cannot beat out career sixth men, or former stars on the backside of their prime, they already have a built in excuse as to why the rookie isn't starting (bring them along slowly).

Deng got 18 million because the market value for starting caliber NBA players went up. I'm sure he is aware that the starting Job isn't guaranteed, especially knowing they took a small forward with the number 2 pick. He said it himself that he thinks his best position going forward is the 4, and I think we all know he's not playing there over Randle and nance.

I think deng was promised consistent minutes and that's all. IMO even if he starts for the first month or two of the season, he's here to play that Andre iguadala role. IMHO

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#15 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Ingram should start, not because he's one of the two best forwards available, but because he's clearly the best "shooter" available.

The Lakers need shooting. The lineup that most of us have starting (Randle, Mozgov, and Deng) lacks shooting.

Randle and Deng can and will play together, but, for tone-setting purposes, to start games, a shooter needs to be inserted.

He's super, super young and has a body like an eight year-old, but Brandon Ingram is the best available shooter ... and should be the starter on that alone.
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#16 » by NYCLaker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Deng is not really good anymore at SF if you watched the Heat.

I asked the MIami forum their opinions on Deng now and for the future, and the consensus is that Deng is now a fulltime PF and plays a lot older than his age on paper...

So, by default, if Deng plays the 4, Ingram should start. However, watching him in Summer League and his difficulties, I would not start him... He is a good shooter, but in SL, he shot 4-16 in 3s... So, 41 percent for fgs and 25 percent for 3s... It's a small sample, however even at Duke, he really excel after he switch to a 4 in a small ball offense.

Which is why we should of signed a 3d player
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#17 » by gts1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Giving he didn't exactly dominate summer league play and considering his size (or lack of) coming off the bench early on isn't going to hurt him as he learns the NBA game. plenty of time for him...
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Post#18 » by WVlakerfan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:09 pm

What ever decision Luke makes on this is going to piss somebody on this board off. Personally i would rather Ingram be brought along slowly just like i thought that Russell should have been as well. Russell did much better his second time around as a starter and i think that was mostly just getting acclimated to the speed at which the game is played. Him struggling early against starters hurt his image outside of Lakers fans in my opinion. Look at the narrative of Devin Booker vs Russell. They have similar stat lines but booker was brought along slower and is now looked at with a completely different outlook(1st team all rookie) to what Russell is. Booker averaged 12 mins a game in OCT. and NOV. and 19 in Dec.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#19 » by One Love » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:48 am

Booker analogy is interesting... I like Deng at PF & Ingram at SF but I don't see that happening until the All Star Break... Watching who finishes games, will be interesting...
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#20 » by Karmaloop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:53 am

TwoStarz wrote:How giving a top 2 pick several dnp to start the season a good idea....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using RealGM mobile app

Is the OP Byron Scott?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers