ImageImageImageImageImage

What route do we take with Ingram?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Re: What route do we take with Ingram? 

Post#21 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:39 am

The beauty about Deng is nobody expects to him to do anything more than 10 pts, 5 rebs, and to play hard on the defensive end. We already know he's on the decline and he's not a delusional player thinking he's going to suddenly be an all-star again at his age.

He's going to be given the chance to help us win some games early and if we do, great. If we don't, Deng isn't the kind of guy to hold Ingram back. He's the kind of teammate that'll want to push him to become a star. I'm sure if he never left Chicago he'd rather play with Jimmy Butler and win with him than be on a losing team. Deng has an opportunity to shine here in LA alongside Ingram and the rest of the young core.

People praised Battier for years for playing at the same level Deng plays at now. Igoudala went through a similar transition himself as well.

Anyways there no need to worry about Ingram's development he's too talented and gifted physically to not get minutes by the second half of the season. And I really can't see Deng holding him back.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#22 » by LakersLegacy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:55 am

I would start him!

He is the most NBA ready rookie the lakers have had in a long time.

I don't understand the Deng signing because he is old and will use almost 20% of the salary cap. I hope Ingram starts over old Deng. Deng should play the 4.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#23 » by TKainZero » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:25 am

It's good to always remember Kobe came off the bench for 2 years.

Ingram is so young he is going to take a couple years just to get a nba body. Starting him right away isn't a major issue. However, the lack of any other starter-rotational level of sf on the roster is, which makes it seem like Ingram will get many mins at sf

I would guess deng starts, but that isn't going to go well.

Spacing will be an issue with deng at sf, which also leads to Ingram being used more at sf

He is going to play more than he really should.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#24 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:34 pm

TKainZero wrote:It's good to always remember Kobe came off the bench for 2 years.

Different time, different roster. 13th pick compared to 2nd pick and a player fresh off of high school when the NBA still was not used to it.

Generally, you don't pick in the top 2 without the intention of starting the player and giving him major minutes. The Deng signing puts a wrench into things. I just hope it isn't for too long.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#25 » by dipstick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
TKainZero wrote:It's good to always remember Kobe came off the bench for 2 years.

Different time, different roster. 13th pick compared to 2nd pick and a player fresh off of high school when the NBA still was not used to it.

Generally, you don't pick in the top 2 without the intention of starting the player and giving him major minutes. The Deng signing puts a wrench into things. I just hope it isn't for too long.

The era is not really the point though. Can Ingram start? Sure yeah... Why not?

Should he start? That's something that probably can't be answered correctly except in hindsight. However, the Kobe example only proves that you don't have to start right away to develop correctly and that's something that should be true in any Era.

With that being said, there's nothing wrong with a player earning his playing time rather than everything being given to him.

We only have to look at D'Angelo last year. He clearly wasn't ready. And Byron was correct in benching him for a while. Would D'Angelo be working so hard this off-season without those struggles or if he knew he would start regardless of how he played? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd prefer that these young guys realize that they have to work to get to where they want to be rather than be entitled just because they are high draft picks.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#26 » by iamworthy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Almost every NBA analyst or NBA personality has said at some point Clarkson will be coming off the bench. If people really want Ingram to start that bad then Let Ingram start at the 2 and deng at the 3.

Russell
Randle
Mozy
Deng
Ingram
chefy12
Junior
And1: 78

Post#27 » by chefy12 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:10 pm

lets not overthink this..let him start! if hes got it..hes got it, no need to play head games. i dont want to say shuda cuda wuda if he becomes darko milicic 2.0
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#28 » by Kilroy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm

I guess you guys didn't watch summer league or the USA Select footage... He clearly doesn't have it yet.

He's got all the skills and the length, but he's lacking the physicality and the pace... Throwing him in against the best near-7'ers in the league isn't going to do him any good.
And more importantly, it's not necessary for him to start right now.

Let him come off the bench when the pressure isn't as high and build some confidence, then move him to the starting lineup if he's destroying second teams.

Honestly, I think he's about a season away from 'NBA-Ready'... Meaning, I think he can play now, but he'd get beat up and worn down if he played big minutes.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#29 » by NYCLaker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Kilroy wrote:I guess you guys didn't watch summer league or the USA Select footage... He clearly doesn't have it yet.

He's got all the skills and the length, but he's lacking the physicality and the pace... Throwing him in against the best near-7'ers in the league isn't going to do him any good.

Let him come off the bench when the pressure isn't as high and build some confidence, then move him to the starting lineup if he's destroying second teams.

Honestly, I think he's about a season away from 'NBA-Ready'... Meaning, I think he can play now, but he'd get beat up and worn down if he played big minutes.

Good points and I agree completely. Ingram doesn't look ready at all...And the idea of playing him +32mins a game, seems only realistic in an indirect tank, which could happen in the second part of the season. At Duke as well, Ingram wasn't able to create sep. much unless it was due to some mismatch, but even than, he had difficulties throughout the season.

If i was the coach, I would literally use this coming season for him to bulk up and play minutes very sparingly, since I imagine him to be a key part of our future.

Also, the lakers and Luke really need to consider what position Ingram will play in the future. He is listed at SF, but he can definitely and ideally be a smallball 4.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#30 » by gts1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Kilroy wrote:I guess you guys didn't watch summer league or the USA Select footage... He clearly doesn't have it yet.

Well said.. I mentioned this earlier. If you saw him in summer league you know what the correct answer is... He's not ready and there's no reason to push him.. if he was balling like crazy then you ignore his lack of size and hope he doesn't get too beat up but he was clearly out of his depth against summer league talent. Normal NBA starters are going to knock this kid around... Let him come off the bench, get his feet wet and learn the game.. hopefully he's got a long prosperous successful career ahead of him there's zero reason to rush
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#31 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:20 pm

What kilroy said, plus he's better off coming off the bench anyway where he's not the 4th option behind Dlo, Clarkson, and Randle who all want the ball and need the development as well.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#32 » by TwoStarz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:13 am

I agree with the coming off the bench and learning the game slowly. Slowly increasing his minutes will do him good as he gets use to the NBA game.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using RealGM mobile app
Slimreaper703
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#33 » by Slimreaper703 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:08 pm

lol i never got the logic from OP about starting him off with DNP's then slowly adjusting him to garbage mins

Who does that with any top pick athlete when its a lottery team.
Plenty of one and done athletes drafted top 3 to lottery teams contribute right away,
Wall averaged 37 mph rookie year, Durant almost 35. Kat played heavy mins last year right off the bat

This is a lottery team not the Pistons with Milicic, start him right away and give him his 30-35 mpg.
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#34 » by larry14r » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Slimreaper703 wrote:lol i never got the logic from OP about starting him off with DNP's then slowly adjusting him to garbage mins

Plenty of one and done athletes drafted top 3 to lottery teams contribute right away,
Wall averaged 37 mph rookie year, Durant almost 35. Kat played heavy mins last year right off the bat

This is a lottery team not the Pistons with Milicic, start him right away and give him his 30-35 mpg.

Expect the Lakers always have started rookies slow lottery or not. Plus his body is not ready for that yet thus why we got Loul Deng for.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#35 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Kobe came off the bench for a playoff team with an incumbent SG that made the All star as a rookie himself in Eddie Jones.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#36 » by The Skyhook » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:04 am

Good to see his fellow rookies thinking so highly of him.
Read on Twitter
warrenpeace
Junior
And1: 75

Post#37 » by warrenpeace » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 am

Slimreaper703 wrote:lol i never got the logic from OP about starting him off with DNP's then slowly adjusting him to garbage mins

I wholeheartedly agree. Great post. It makes no sense not to start him. Stupid. Randle and D'Angelo started their rookie season, and Ingram had a much better summer league the D'Angelo. I don't remember too many people saying that Randle and D'Angelo should not start. As a matter of fact, many were upset when Byron bench both of them for being "entitled".
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#38 » by Slava » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:50 am

> Thread about Ingram
> le warrenpeace enters
> invokes D'Angelo
> Quell surprise!!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#39 » by larry14r » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 pm

warrenpeace wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Great post. It makes no sense not to start him. Stupid. Randle and D'Angelo started their rookie season, and Ingram had a much better summer league the D'Angelo. I don't remember too many people saying that Randle and D'Angelo should not start. As a matter of fact, many were upset when Byron bench both of them for being "entitled".

Yeah, but Russell and Randle played better after being benched, and they now know things are not handed to them they have to work for it. Ingram has to learn that too. Also Ingram's body right now can't hold up to play 30-35 minutes a night it might a year for that. So coming off the bench to start can only help him.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#40 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

I agree with the post pointing out Ingram's summer league. Just look at the guy...he's a rail. He's going to get destroyed out there by these bigger guys. You're gonna see a guy just floating around the 3 the whole time...and a guy who gets constantly isolated and broke down on the defensive end. He needs to get out there and play minutes.....but if he plays too much, I worry he'll be hurt before too long.

A little patience with this guy. Randle started....but Randle is a big boy. Let Ingram learn....continue to put some meat on that frame, and he'll be much better for it in the long run. I hear he's on a bit of an intense diet...and that's a good thing. He doesn't have the strength / bulk to tangle night in and out with the Iggy's and Lebron's and Paul Georges and Leonards and Carmello's of the game. He will be fine, but I don't think he should start his first 1-2 seasons.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers