ImageImageImageImageImage

[Article] The Ringer: D'Angelo Russell is better than you think he is

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: [Article] The Ringer: D'Angelo Russell is better than you think he is 

Post#21 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Sep 8, 2016 10:53 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:I still don't understand the hate on this kid, especially by Lakers fans. Dude may not be a Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, CP3, etc, but I feel D'Lo is going to make that list very soon. I'm very confident D'Lo will be one of the premier players that the NBA uses to market. All I've seen from him is practicing and putting in work in the weight room. What else can you ask for?

I have a feeling if fans in LA keep this heckling taunting **** up he's gonna bolt as soon as his rookie contract is up.

He can't bolt after his rookie contract is up since he would be a restricted FA.
N3LL
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#22 » by N3LL » Fri Sep 9, 2016 12:22 am

The only "Laker" fans that hate the kid are Okafor fanboys.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#23 » by Tee212 » Fri Sep 9, 2016 7:17 am

N3LL wrote:The only "Laker" fans that hate the kid are Okafor fanboys.

their pretty quiet these days ehh...i love it when russell does well and okafor does some nonsense off court and on court all them fanboys hiding in the woodworks
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#24 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Not sure where to post, but another article...

Read on Twitter
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#25 » by Slava » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:40 pm

I don't think there's any bad relationship between either of them. Russell's twitter header is a picture of him and Kobe. Kobe's had a million things going for him with his VC firm taking off and his wife expecting a third child.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#26 » by SashaTheMachine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:57 pm

nothing to see here.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#27 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:43 am

I wouldn't even expect them to have much to say to each other outside of basketball. Kobe and DLo have polar opposite personalities. I'm sure they'll be in touch during the regular season when there's much basketball to be discussed.

Regarding the article, I don't think it brings Laker fans much comfort to say Russell won't be a bust. :lol: The hope is that he can become a franchise cornerstone and someone who will attract free agents.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Tee212 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 am

lol making something out of nothing. he wore a kobe 81 shirt this week. go write something about that.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#29 » by Slava » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:35 am

:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#30 » by Kilroy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:21 pm

Did Clarkson bring snacks for everyone in is cargo pockets..
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#31 » by dockingsched » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Not sure where to post, but another article...

Read on Twitter

This is such a lazy piece of writing that I wouldn't have bothered posting it personally. It's just some opinion piece based off some other article with absolutely no additional insight provided by the writer. This piece refers to blame being on both Kobe/Dlo on the lack of mentorship and how the young stars need it, but at a minimum a non lazy writer wouldve tried to at least mention or provide an update on the supposed Magic Johnson mentorship of Russell. If you google D'angelo Russell mentorship it's literally the first result. For this writer to totally omit this from the piece is inexcusable when that's the entire point of his piece.

This piece does a good job of listing all the different projects Kobe has been involved with in his summer after retirement but it totally brushes them aside in favor of a witch hunt trying to lay blame. Terrible piece.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:38 pm

dockingsched wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is such a lazy piece of writing that I wouldn't have bothered posting it personally. It's just some opinion piece based off some other article with absolutely no additional insight provided by the writer. This piece refers to blame being on both Kobe/Dlo on the lack of mentorship and how the young stars need it, but at a minimum a non lazy writer wouldve tried to at least mention or provide an update on the supposed Magic Johnson mentorship of Russell. If you google D'angelo Russell mentorship it's literally the first result. For this writer to totally omit this from the piece is inexcusable when that's the entire point of his piece.

This piece does a good job of listing all the different projects Kobe has been involved with in his summer after retirement but it totally brushes them aside in favor of a witch hunt trying to lay blame. Terrible piece.

I guess I should read stuff before posting, though I didn't have much interest but I thought some here might.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#33 » by stan francisco » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:44 pm

That first article was good when read in full. Thanks.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#34 » by EArl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Slava wrote:

Im getting to that point in age where i see these outfits on people and all i can do is shake my head.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Tee212 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 pm

ya its crazy maybe its been like this but...lately it seems like anything a celeb wears out of bed ...out in public its deemed as fashion foward. anything goes, the kids eat it up and this is what we end up with.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#36 » by RingsDontLie » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:07 am

EArl wrote:
Slava wrote:

Im getting to that point in age where i see these outfits on people and all i can do is shake my head.

I like the Kobe shirt though. But I guess tight jeans are in these days.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#37 » by crazyeights » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Walton offered a more glowing assessment after Russell averaged 21.8 points on 47.7 percent shooting, 6.3 rebounds and 4.0 assists in Summer League play.

"He's ready to take the steps forward in this league toward becoming a leader, becoming a top point guard and competing every single night," Walton said. "There's a lot of growth to be had still. But he showed me he wants three things. He wants to be great. He wants to win. And he wants to lead. That's what I want out of a point guard."

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160916/lakers-luke-walton-building-foundation-through-relationships
cambomvmt
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#38 » by cambomvmt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

Read on Twitter

I guess I should read stuff before posting, though I didn't have much interest but I thought some here might.

in other words you just wanted to stir the pot without the content?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:40 pm

cambomvmt wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

in other words you just wanted to stir the pot without the content?

No, in the words I just stated, I thought it is something people here might be interested. If you are not, feel free to move on.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#40 » by Landsberger » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:09 pm

I neither "hate" or "love" the kid. I don't know him. His game has some pretty big holes and I think he's got some issues with his mental approach. He needs to grow a lot. He's also in the brightest spotlight in the league the year after Kobe retired. Pressure and needed development. Not typically a good combo for a youngster.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers