ImageImageImageImageImage

Thomas Robinson Signs 1 Year Deal With Lakers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Re: Thomas Robinson Signs 1 Year Deal With Lakers 

Post#21 » by Jody Smokz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Because they didn't bring him in to be a big part of the rotation. He's camp fodder and probably just looking to land a contract somewhere. Guys overthink these bottom of the roster signings too much. Josh Smith isn't signing to a team unless he's going to be guaranteed part of the rotation which he wouldn't here.

zuju wrote:If we are really getting Robinson, why don't we sign josh smith instead.....probably better than Robinson in any single area in playing basketball
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#22 » by Wavy Q » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:46 pm

crazyeights wrote:Last year the Warriors had:

Bogut, Green, Speights, Ezeli, McAdoo, Varejao, Thompson, and Barnes see time at PF/C. Plus Looney was on the roster and they played him at SF/PF/C (in extremely limited minutes, but he still took up a roster spot).

Almost every single one of those players are either veterans or established ability wise, we don't have that kind of luxury. Every single one of our bigs besides Mozgov are developing players who need more consistent PT.

Their main rotation players (Bogut/Green/Speights/Varejao) All have different skill sets, no real overlapping talent. Our bigs almost all do the same things with the exception being Larry Nance Jr.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#23 » by crazyeights » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Wavy Q wrote:
crazyeights wrote:Last year the Warriors had:

Bogut, Green, Speights, Ezeli, McAdoo, Varejao, Thompson, and Barnes see time at PF/C. Plus Looney was on the roster and they played him at SF/PF/C (in extremely limited minutes, but he still took up a roster spot).

Almost every single one of those players are either veterans or established ability wise, we don't have that kind of luxury. Their main rotation players (Bogut/Green/Speights/Varejao) All have different skill sets, no real overlapping talent. Our bigs almost all do the same things with the exception being Larry Nance Jr.

Bogut and Varejao were established but had been injury plagued.

Green, Ezeili, and Barnes were all drafted and developed in GSW. McAdoo as well.

Speights was always a guy with size and talent, but he's bounced around the league for a reason. The same with Thompson.

The main point being: these guys all found a niche with Golden State. If you rewound 3-4 years ago and mentioned these bigs they'd all have some sort of red flag. The Warriors did a great job of maximizing their abilities. I feel like hindsight is blinding you a bit, because I don't remember anyone in the league thinking oh **** they drafted Green and got Bogut: here come the future champs!

I would argue our rotation players do have different skill sets.

Nance is a jack of all trades who can guard multiple positions on the perimeter and is ultra athletic.

Randle is a guy who can rebound and go, his speed and strength are a rare combination and I think he's going to become a much stronger defender this season, plus it looks like he's worked hard to fix his shot.

Mozgov is spry big who will set huge screens and anchor the defense for 20mpg.

Deng is a wily stretch 4 who can defend multiple positions.

Yi is a stretch 5.

Tarik is a pick and roll garbage big who opens up the offense vertically for lobs and second chance points.

For the most part that will be our rotation. Zubac will likely be brought along slowly (but skillset wise he's more a traditional post-player with nice touch and good defensive timing).

Then we have the bubble guys: Robinson, Wear, Metta and Auguste will be fighting for a roster spot with Nick Young. I guess there's always the potential that Yi doesn't work out or that they give up on Anthony Brown or Huertas (but I doubt they let a guard go to pick up another big as we're relatively short on guards).
Zaccai
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#24 » by Zaccai » Sat Oct 1, 2016 2:48 am

^^That was funny

Return to Los Angeles Lakers