43%

Total votes: 23

lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Lakers Waive Auguste, Wear, and Jacobs 

Post#1 » by lake_show » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Lakers Waive Auguste, Wear, and Jacobs

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-team-waives-zach-auguste-travis-wear-and-julian-jacobs/2016/10/12/

No surprises here. All three of these guys suffer the same issue on this roster. They are all potential prospects trying to find a spot on a roster that is completely stacked at their position.

Julian Jacobs - Super athletic PG was stuck fighting for a spot behind D'Lo, Calderon, Huertas, and probably even Lou and Clarkson.

Zach Auguste - I think people were most excited to see what he could do after watching him play during summer league. Very versatile big stuck fighting for a spot behind Randle, Nance, Black, and probably even Deng.

Travis Wear - This is the guy I was most excited about. He shot well in the very few minutes he was out there but like the other two he's trying to find a spot on a roster behind Deng, Ingram, Young, and possibly even Nance.

On a roster with a lot of young talent it just didn't make sense to carry even more guys that would need development. Still, I think that each of these guys could've potentially brought something, or developed into something if we had the time/resources to develop them.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Lakers Waive Auguste, Wear, and Jacobs 

Post#2 » by Slava » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Didn't take long. Probably going to be a 2/4 situation for the last couple spots between Robinson, Yi, Brown and MWP.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#3 » by crazyeights » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 pm

That's going to be a tough decision to make, IMO. Will show us what kind of priorities Luke has.

Keep Brown for his potential as a defender and hope that his shooting/aggressiveness improve? Or with Nick Young seemingly playing well-rounded basketball does that mean Brown is expendable?

Although, we have issues rebounding, especially when we play small...could Robinson help that? Or Yi? My jur'ys still out on him. He hit that jumper last night, got 4 defensive boards, could provide spacing from the 5 that we currently don't have.

If MWP stays then it's more of an indictment on the other 3 than anything.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Gotta keep Robinson and Brown imo... Yi and MWP are largely useless at this point... Even with Yi's creative contract.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by lake_show » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Hopefully we get to see more of Yi in the next few games to better know what he has to offer. Robinson has been great since the start of training camp and at this point I'd say he has the lead on the other guys but does he bring anything to the roster that we don't already get from Randle, Nance, Black, or Deng?

I don't see us keeping 2 more bigs. With Black playing the way he has and Zubac waiting in the background a 4th center in Yi might be a long shot. At this point I'd probably go Robinson/Brown.
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by lake_show » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:43 pm

dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#7 » by dipstick » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 pm

I think it's more of a 2 man horse race for 1 spot. Brown has a guaranteed contract for 2 more years and still has potential. At the very least, he is a good defender. MWP probably hasn't been waived just because you want him as a practice player for as long as you can.

The battle in my mind is between Robinson and Yi. Robinson probably deserves it more. But the plus that Yi brings is his shooting which is a skill that no other big on our roster can claim to have. It's gonna be tough but if Yi plays a few good games in preseason, he may beat out Robinson just because of need and fit.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#8 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Active Roster:
Russell/Calderon/Huertas
Clarkson/Williams
Deng/Ingram/Young
Randle/Nance
Mozgov/Black

inactive roster: Brown, Zubac, Yi

I think Robinson is going to be a casualty of repetitive skills, meaning he doesn't have the potential of bringing anything to the floor that you wouldn't just have Randle/nance/Black out there for. Yi on the other hand has the potential to bring something different that may be useful in specific matchups.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#9 » by gts1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:27 pm

dockingsched wrote:I think Robinson is going to be a casualty of repetitive skills, meaning he doesn't have the potential of bringing anything to the floor that you wouldn't just have Randle/nance/Black out there for. Yi on the other hand has the potential to bring something different that may be useful in specific matchups.

Well said...

Yi, is hard to nail down, I think with some reps he'll show why the Lakers brought him in... He had a good game last night, guys need to get used to looking for him, last night there were several times down the stretch where he was wide open and the ball didn't find him. A couple times he was wide open under the basket and instead (Randle once and Russell once) put up questionable shots instead of making the pass for the easy bucket.
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 am

Robinson and Brown. If Robinson continues to play great in the preseason he should stay. He is the most deserving of the four. Yi and Brown are on the same level right now but we would probably keep Brown because he can D and because we cannot go for another big if we keep Robinson. MWP should stay as a practice player and a development coach. Put Yi in the D-League in case injury occurs during the season.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers