ImageImageImageImageImage

Thomas Robinson ~ Horace Grant

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Thomas Robinson ~ Horace Grant 

Post#1 » by RingsDontLie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:39 pm

I like this guy, hope he makes it. We need a guy willing to get dirty and get us those extra possessions. He reminds of Horace Grant on that one Bulls team over a couple of decades ago, and on our team in 03-04. These guys are so valuable. Yi...we don't need another shooter. We got plenty of shooters...we need a guy to get boards and do the dirty work on the inside.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Thomas Robinson ~ Horace Grant 

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Even if he makes it he won't get many minutes, Larry does the same things and is probably better at it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#3 » by Slava » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't even see the point of another PF/C on the roster. We already have Mozgov/Black/Zubac competing for center minutes and Randle/Nance occupying the PF spot with both Deng and Ingram capable of sliding up in small ball line ups. In case of Deng, that might even be his best position. I'd much rather get rid of both and try to bring an UFA prospect as a cover for the SF spot or a SG with some legit size who can offer defensive versatility in match ups.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#4 » by Gek » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:30 pm

horace grant would be an interesting thought in todays nba. he'd be a good play at center in his prime - not sure if he'd be playing 30+ min a night.

wish there was a way to port players through decades.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#5 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:54 pm

I don't really see the comparison - Horace could knock down the 15 footer religiously, while Thomas decides to pass up on jumpers and work in the paint instead. I'd rather have Thom-Rob on the team instead of Yi (who quite frankly has no upside instead of making an open jumper here and there) because he has the potential to still be a decent player in this league.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#6 » by TKainZero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 am

Keep Robinson for sure.
Especially over grant

No mins for him, but he brings such energy. I'll take him as the 3rd center (small ball) and roll with zubac in the d-league

Zubac needs to grow into his body. He needs time.
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#7 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:09 am

I'm all in for Robinson. I don't care if Black, Randle and Nance are already doing what he can do but after the preseason games I'd rather have a guy who can consistently hustle and grab the boards than to keep a guy who is supposed to stretch the floor but seems can't shoot consistently during the preseason. And Robinson is a good insurance too if ever one of the bigs get injured.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#9 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:14 am

Nice link....thanks.

Sounds like the Lakers wanna drop one more, leaving Artest and Robinson on the butcher block. It's a hard one for me, but I think it would prob be better to keep Robinson. There is absolutely no future with Artest, just a year or two of rotting on the bench. I'm not sure there's much hope for Robinson either ....but at least its not 0%.

I do like Artest though. I don't feel strongly either way, honestly.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#10 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:00 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

Nice link....thanks.

Sounds like the Lakers wanna drop one more, leaving Artest and Robinson on the butcher block. It's a hard one for me, but I think it would prob be better to keep Robinson. There is absolutely no future with Artest, just a year or two of rotting on the bench. I'm not sure there's much hope for Robinson either ....but at least its not 0%.

I do like Artest though. I don't feel strongly either way, honestly.

I like Artest too especially for sentimental reasons :D . I hope he stays as a assistant coach despite the rumors that he still wants to play. At this point, Robinson is the more practical choice between the two of them. yeah, I wouldn't mind whoever makes the cut.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#11 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Keep Robinson as our 2016 Mark Madsen energizer bunny type. Far from a Grant type if you ask me.

Hire Artest as defensive mentor and practice player for developing Ingram, Randle, Nance on the most important side of the ball — defense.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#12 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Hats off to Thomas Robinson. Dude worked his ass off to make this team. Even when he was on the bench he seemed like a great teammate.

Even if he doesn't play you can count on him making our culture better.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#13 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Did the OP just compare Robinson to Horace Grant? Jesus man. The dude is on his 6th team in 5 years. He's not a good player. He's doing what he always did. Get boards and hustle. The problem is that he was projected much better than that and hasn't added any offensive skills whatsoever.

I get it. It's the offseason and guys are excited but Trob is an end of the bench guy for a reason. He won't be anything more than that. He also isn't doing anything on the Lakers he didn't do in PHI, BKN, SAC, PDX or HOU.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#14 » by Lost Angel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:05 pm

injury insurance -- what happens if Nance goes down? we need another high energy big
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#15 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm

That's fine but the post is about TRob comparing him to one of the best role players on some of the greatest teams ever. This dude won't see the court unless there is an injury.

Lost Angel wrote:injury insurance -- what happens if Nance goes down? we need another high energy big
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#16 » by RingsDontLie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:28 am

Jody Smokz wrote:Did the OP just compare Robinson to Horace Grant? Jesus man. The dude is on his 6th team in 5 years. He's not a good player. He's doing what he always did. Get boards and hustle. The problem is that he was projected much better than that and hasn't added any offensive skills whatsoever.

I get it. It's the offseason and guys are excited but Trob is an end of the bench guy for a reason. He won't be anything more than that. He also isn't doing anything on the Lakers he didn't do in PHI, BKN, SAC, PDX or HOU.

He looked solid to me, he is a worker bee similar to Horace Grant, he will fight to get you those extra possessions and more importantly he will work within his role. I'm not saying he is exactly like Horace of course. But Horace was a role player, I'm not comparing this guy to a superstar at least. With the right coach, and the right team, guys like Robinson can become very valuable. This guy will fit within our system especially since it's obvious we are not a very good rebounding team.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#17 » by dipstick » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am

This story has the makings of a Cinderella story. Apparently he was just showing up in the gym working out with the guys. The coaching staff took notice of how well he was playing and apparently was always on the winning side, and offered him a camp invite. Let's see how this story ends. Former top 5 pick who was drafted ahead of Dillard and Drummond. Not saying he still has star potential, but with his former potential and him seemingly playing with a chip on his shoulder, we can't necessarily say that Nance or even Randle have better skills or even more potential than him.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#18 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:16 pm

He played under Terry Stotts and he still couldnt get anything out of him. The thing is Trob is a hustle man. He has a high motor so he'll always look good in practice or in short spurts doing this or that. The problem is that he'll never be a real rotation player especially on this team b/c he doesnt do ANYTHING good outside of offensive rebounding and put backs. He doesn't protect the rim, he doesn't offer you much of anything offensively either. Where does he fit? If Black gets hurt play Zubac.

All Im saying is dont let the offseason hype train get you talking crazy. Horace Grant wasn't a star but he was as good as they come as far as role players go. Trob has been on 6 teams in 5 years at the age of 25. At 25-26 Grant was winning rings and gave the Bulls more than a hustle/foul man at the end of the bench.

RingsDontLie wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Did the OP just compare Robinson to Horace Grant? Jesus man. The dude is on his 6th team in 5 years. He's not a good player. He's doing what he always did. Get boards and hustle. The problem is that he was projected much better than that and hasn't added any offensive skills whatsoever.

He looked solid to me, he is a worker bee similar to Horace Grant, he will fight to get you those extra possessions and more importantly he will work within his role. I'm not saying he is exactly like Horace of course. But Horace was a role player, I'm not comparing this guy to a superstar at least. With the right coach, and the right team, guys like Robinson can become very valuable. This guy will fit within our system especially since it's obvious we are not a very good rebounding team.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#19 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Uhh yes we can. Randle and Nance have played under Byron and played better than TRob ever did and he even played under a great coach in Stotts.

You guys are setting yourselves up to be disappointed hoping this guy turns into some real reclamation project. For him to even do that he'd have to take time away from Randle and Nance and if he's outplaying them that says more about THEM than him.

dipstick wrote:This story has the makings of a Cinderella story. Apparently he was just showing up in the gym working out with the guys. The coaching staff took notice of how well he was playing and apparently was always on the winning side, and offered him a camp invite. Let's see how this story ends. Former top 5 pick who was drafted ahead of Dillard and Drummond. Not saying he still has star potential, but with his former potential and him seemingly playing with a chip on his shoulder, we can't necessarily say that Nance or even Randle have better skills or even more potential than him.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#20 » by tugs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Well right now as of impact, let us settle with JYD, or our very own Ronny Turiaf.

Temper expectations, gentlemen, so everything better than expected will be considered as bonuses.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers