ImageImageImageImageImage

Keeping the team intact

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Keeping the team intact 

Post#1 » by tugs » Mon Nov 7, 2016 10:00 am

I've been thinking about this since the Warriors game. I'm not sure if I've seen a team with this much talent that even the 2nd unit guys are all capable starters in other teams.

Our management is not OKC's thank goodness, but do you think money will be an issue in the future? Is it possible for all of these guys to be fairly compensated?

They are all playing really well right now and camaraderie is off the charts that I believe pay cuts are not impossible just to keep the team. Still, these players are young and would appreciate that their efforts are given equal value.

Are we looking at a core we can keep for 10-20 years?
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Re: Keeping the team intact 

Post#2 » by Mirjalovic » Mon Nov 7, 2016 10:18 am

we need to show them the trophies and the ringz and beg them to take less than their market value, like Jordan Clarkson did.

man i really hope Russell Randle Clarkson Zubac Nance and Ingram are together for long long long long long time. They are likeable unit with some character and charisma. Too bad Anthony Brown can't be with them.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#3 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Nov 7, 2016 10:57 am

I would also like to keep the team intact. I hope Jordan Clarkson be like an example for them, willing to take less money and doesn't mind coming off the bench. That kind of unselfishness is something I would like this team to have. I can see Nance and Zubac doing the same. If we can add solid vets then we will be back on top in no time.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#4 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Nov 7, 2016 1:04 pm

Jordan Clarkson has a great head on his shoulders for a young fella. The work he put in to get to where he is, and then taking a paycut AND coming off the bench. He must be really grateful to be in the position that he made for himself. I dont see D'Lo having that type of maturity though. Ingram and Randle, yes.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#5 » by Pythagoras » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:32 pm

I don't think keeping our drafted guys together is an issue really. The model should be Cleveland, where no expense is spared, as long as these guys prove themselves worth keeping.
Numbers rule the universe.
MrWaffles
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#6 » by MrWaffles » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:38 pm

Mozgov and Deng contracts will bite us in the but for the next four years. But I do agree we need to keep the core players together.

Williams and Young can walk along with Jose and Marcelo
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#7 » by yitur » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:53 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:we need to show them the trophies and the ringz and beg them to take less than their market value, like Jordan Clarkson did.

man i really hope Russell Randle Clarkson Zubac Nance and Ingram are together for long long long long long time. They are likeable unit with some character and charisma. Too bad Anthony Brown can't be with them.

The only one with a bad taste in my mouth was AB. He was never that talented, I was hoping for Norman Powell around that pick but the guy I wanted most was Upshaw so I can't complain that much. 2 good prospects in 3 consecutive drafts is amazing. I love how athletic our bench is and how improved Clarkson on the defensive end, he makes everyone at least work for buckets. It's crazy how he turned it around in just one summer. Also Ingram is perfect when we close out games with Nance-Randle at the 4-5 spots, he really helps the rebounding even with his thin physique. When he gets to at least average SF body watch out.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:11 pm

If we can somehow get these guys to extend before becoming free agents, I think we can keep them together, but if they hit the free agent market, I think we're going to have a very hard time keeping them all.
It's a long season but if Russell finds a way to play like the player we all think he's capable of being, night in and night out, and the rest of the guys continue to play like they are, we're going to be a very, very good team. Will it be enough to win it all? That seems like pure fantasy at this point... But I think we're going to be good enough that it's going to make fore some really hard choices when Free Agency rolls around.
Do you try to sign Westbrook, if you know it's going to probably make Russell and Clarkson unnecessary for example? Only slam dunk might be a guy like Davis, but that team is going to to absolutely anything possible to keep him. Do you go after Cousins even though he's got a weird personality and is difficult to coach?

I'm glad we have some time, but this team is pretty special right now... Regardless of what happens, it'll be pretty tough to see any of these guys playing for someone else.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#9 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:17 pm

Paying your own players is never going to be an issue for the Lakers since you are allowed to go over the cap when resigning them. The only question is whether or not we can attract a free agent before the contract renewals are up.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#10 » by gts1 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:23 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Paying your own players is never going to be an issue for the Lakers since you are allowed to go over the cap when resigning them. The only question is whether or not we can attract a free agent before the contract renewals are up.
we might not need to attract a free agent... we could very well be growing our own all stars making attracting some big name player moot.

As for the $$$ side of things, as you said they Lakers will have no problem keeping the core together if they want to (and obviously if the player wants to stay) and anybody who has followed the Lakers knows they have zero problem paying players if they think they're worth it.
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#11 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:24 pm

gts1 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:Paying your own players is never going to be an issue for the Lakers since you are allowed to go over the cap when resigning them. The only question is whether or not we can attract a free agent before the contract renewals are up.
we might not need to attract a free agent... we could very well be growing our own all stars making attracting some big name player moot.

As for the $$$ side of things, as you said they Lakers will have no problem keeping the core together if they want to (and obviously if the player wants to stay) and anybody who has followed the Lakers knows they have zero problem paying players if they think they're worth it.

The players have no say. They are restricted.
yitur
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by yitur » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:39 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
gts1 wrote:

The players have no say. They are restricted.

Players always have a say, they can even take the QO and left after the 5th year, but that applies only to the toxic enviroments like last year's BS Lakers. I don't think we have as much potential as 2012 OKC because that would mean we have potentially 3 top 5 players in the league, but we have depth, we finally have hustle. Things are looking much, MUCH brighter right now. Let's see how we get up after when we fall on our asses, because it will come at some point of the season.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#13 » by Pythagoras » Mon Nov 7, 2016 5:12 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Paying your own players is never going to be an issue for the Lakers since you are allowed to go over the cap when resigning them.

This is why I'm not worried about keeping the core together...

gts1 wrote:we might not need to attract a free agent... we could very well be growing our own all stars making attracting some big name player moot.

And this is why I'm not worried about free agency. There's enough young talent on this roster right now that I'm not concerned about free agency for the first time in a long time.

If anything, I think the Lakers should be looking to add another complimentary piece via trade.
Numbers rule the universe.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#14 » by Vae Victus » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:00 pm

Honestly we need to take advantage of FA next year while we can, when all of our core players are still locked into rookie scale deals. We have 1 max slot as is (assuming Swaggy opts out, Black is not retained, all other FAs renounced), but we can open up another if we get creative and dump Deng by adding a young piece to him. Unless we win 40 games i think it'll be a hard sell to convince a marquee FA to come over alone, i think it'd be easier if we can convince 2 to team up and come here together.

If we strike out next year then 2018 will look bleak unless DLo and Ingram turn into the 2nd coming of WB and KD, Randle is gonna need to get extended and if he keeps up his play he's gonna get paid and thus eat up whatever free cap we'd have in that offseason.
yitur
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by yitur » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:32 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Honestly we need to take advantage of FA next year while we can, when all of our core players are still locked into rookie scale deals. We have 1 max slot as is (assuming Swaggy opts out, Black is not retained, all other FAs renounced), but we can open up another if we get creative and dump Deng by adding a young piece to him. Unless we win 40 games i think it'll be a hard sell to convince a marquee FA to come over alone, i think it'd be easier if we can convince 2 to team up and come here together.

If we strike out next year then 2018 will look bleak unless DLo and Ingram turn into the 2nd coming of WB and KD, Randle is gonna need to get extended and if he keeps up his play he's gonna get paid and thus eat up whatever free cap we'd have in that offseason.

That's the wrong way to look at it. Team is improving internally. We have good role players, good young prospects and a great coach teaching the team how to win games playing together. This should be our identity going forward.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#16 » by Vae Victus » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:47 pm

yitur wrote:That's the wrong way to look at it. Team is improving internally. We have good role players, good young prospects and a great coach teaching the team how to win games playing together. This should be our identity going forward.

Sure internal development is the name of the game right NOW, but to not sign marquee FAs when the opportunity presents itself is madness. We're gonna have a bunch of cap space coming up next year with the ability to open up more if necessary (Moz for cap space, Deng + Sweeteners for cap space). We have the option to ADD 1-2 high level FAs without having to touch our cornerstones (DLo, Ingram), we're gonna be in a wonderful position to pick and choose which FAs we want if we turn in a strong 30-35 win season and showing Laker bball is back.

It's a HUGE turnaround from the past 2 years where we not only suck but had no hope for the future as we didnt have the young talent to build around (Randle hurt, no DLo, Nance, Ingram, Zubac) yet. High level FAs will notice what we're doing and surely some would think about coming here and taking us to the next level.

Our upcoming capspace is coming upon use it or lose it status. Best we use it before it all gets eaten up by our expiring rookie scale deals.
yitur
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by yitur » Mon Nov 7, 2016 7:03 pm

Vae Victus wrote:
yitur wrote:That's the wrong way to look at it. Team is improving internally. We have good role players, good young prospects and a great coach teaching the team how to win games playing together. This should be our identity going forward.

Sure internal development is the name of the game right NOW, but to not sign marquee FAs when the opportunity presents itself is madness. We're gonna have a bunch of cap space coming up next year with the ability to open up more if necessary (Moz for cap space, Deng + Sweeteners for cap space). We have the option to ADD 1-2 high level FAs without having to touch our cornerstones (DLo, Ingram), we're gonna be in a wonderful position to pick and choose which FAs we want if we turn in a strong 30-35 win season and showing Laker bball is back.

It's a HUGE turnaround from the past 2 years where we not only suck but had no hope for the future as we didnt have the young talent to build around (Randle hurt, no DLo, Nance, Ingram, Zubac) yet. High level FAs will notice what we're doing and surely some would think about coming here and taking us to the next level.

Our upcoming capspace is coming upon use it or lose it status. Best we use it before it all gets eaten up by our expiring rookie scale deals.

In theory yes, signing FAs when opportunity present itself is cool but you should give us the examples, who would you want to sing in 2017 FA that would help our goals. You can't predict everything like N.Young being our defensive stopper at the 2 spot but you can still give us some names maybe.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,136

Post#18 » by Edrees » Mon Nov 7, 2016 7:17 pm

We should be able to extend most of the guys no problem, but the key will be acquiring a talented FA / star in a year where we are well under the cap with small rookie contracts, like what the warriors did while curry is being paid so little. Basically I think we'd have to finish off or dump Deng and Lou's contracts (the older guys) and they can be replaced with a big name FA. then everyone else can be extended. Lou is playing great but he's not a part of the long term plans of this team. Plus his role would be taken by whoever the star we get.

Swaggy P is playing great but it's a contract year. I wouldn't put him in the long term picture either.

I just hope mitch and jim are smart enough if they add any FA's they dont add anyone selfish. They need to gel with this team chemistry and outlook.
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#19 » by Princeinrevolt » Mon Nov 7, 2016 9:57 pm

yitur wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:

I say Gordan Hayword is a good and realistic option tbh

In theory yes, signing FAs when opportunity present itself is cool but you should give us the examples, who would you want to sing in 2017 FA that would help our goals. You can't predict everything like N.Young being our defensive stopper at the 2 spot but you can still give us some names maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#20 » by Princeinrevolt » Mon Nov 7, 2016 9:59 pm

I think Gordan Hayward is a good and realistic option tbh

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Los Angeles Lakers