ImageImageImageImageImage

Nick young contract

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Re: Nick young contract 

Post#21 » by lake_show » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:01 pm

I really like how Nick has played to start the season. I think this offense, and this team, really fit him well. He's also played decent defense, but... I think we've seen from the first 14 games of this season that if we want to be successful long-term we need a "true" defensive wing.

We're getting killed by the Paul Georges/Russ Westbrooks/Jimmy Butlers of the of the world. Those guys are gonna drop big numbers on a lot of teams in this league, but we don't have a stop gap to slow the onslaught, or make them work for those 30-35 pts. If we can add a "true" defensive wing and keep Nick, then great. But if we need to part with Nick to get a "true" defensive wing, then I think we need to do that.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,179

Post#22 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:36 pm

lake_show wrote:I really like how Nick has played to start the season. I think this offense, and this team, really fit him well. He's also played decent defense, but... I think we've seen from the first 14 games of this season that if we want to be successful long-term we need a "true" defensive wing.

We're getting killed by the Paul Georges/Russ Westbrooks/Jimmy Butlers of the of the world. Those guys are gonna drop big numbers on a lot of teams in this league, but we don't have a stop gap to slow the onslaught, or make them work for those 30-35 pts. If we can add a "true" defensive wing and keep Nick, then great. But if we need to part with Nick to get a "true" defensive wing, then I think we need to do that.

Esh really dude??? The entire league is getting killed by Paul George/RW/JB etc lol it's nothing new very few teams can stop them.
Bring back Defense
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#23 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:51 pm

He's becoming MIT-JRSmith for us... Nothing more... But then again, that fool got PAID for being an inconsistent one-trick pony with wardrobe issues...
So maybe we need to start looking at Young's potential Cap impact differently now.

I still say trade high.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#24 » by lake_show » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:53 pm

skullz wrote:
lake_show wrote:I really like how Nick has played to start the season. I think this offense, and this team, really fit him well. He's also played decent defense, but... I think we've seen from the first 14 games of this season that if we want to be successful long-term we need a "true" defensive wing.

Esh really dude??? The entire league is getting killed by Paul George/RW/JB etc lol it's nothing new very few teams can stop them.

Yeah!... I said that.

???
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#25 » by crazyeights » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Kilroy wrote:He's becoming MIT-JRSmith for us... Nothing more... But then again, that fool got PAID for being an inconsistent one-trick pony with wardrobe issues...
So maybe we need to start looking at Young's potential Cap impact differently now.

I still say trade high.

His contract expires next year so he'd essentially be a playoff push rental. I wonder if his value to us now (in the midst of our own playoff push) is more than whatever he'd fetch on the market. I'm not opposed to trading for him if we can address team needs, but something tells me it's tough to find the right match.

Also have to weigh what a trade would do right now for chemistry. Getting this young team playoff experience this season is worth more than whatever project/12th man we could glean from a young trade. Especially in looking at whatever is going to be the free agent market the next two summers.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#26 » by Vae Victus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 pm

If we can convince a team to cough up a late 1st rounder we do it without hesitation, hell throw in a million bucks to make it happen if needed. If its a middling 2nd rounder we should prolly take the deal as well. Now it will hurt the team in the short term and likely cost us a coupla wins, but it's important to accrue assets.

Piling up assets to draft/stash players isnt the only use, of which we dont need as we have tons of young players to develop. Theyre also sweeteners in case we need to dump an anchor contract like Deng.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#27 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:58 am

Let him go. He's old now. I know he is playing good this season but let's not forget he was an albatross 6 weeks ago.

Other guys will improve and need minutes. Eventually Clarkson, Russell, Ingram will eat up more minutes at backcourt and wing.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#28 » by Showtime:Part2 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:24 am

I think he won't fetch much on the open market because as others have mentioned he's a short term rental. If we get value for him, deal him. Lakers won't though knowing the org. I just hope they don't make the bone headed mistake of giving him a huge new deal. This is clearly contract year shennanigans to me. We need the minutes for Ingram and deng anyway
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers