ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj/ESPN: lakers talked with sac, out of running due to refusing to add Ingram

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Re: Woj/ESPN: lakers talked with sac, out of running due to refusing to add Ingram 

Post#141 » by larry14r » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 am

Indy2LA wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
Indy2LA wrote:

Slow Mitch Kupchak blows another opportunity.

I don't think that's a fair statement... Mitch knows price and the news was that he would not bid that high.
Nothing about this feeds into the slow Mitch reporting which stated he was slow at FA because he obeyed the NBA rule to the T.

Mitch might be poor at Free Agency, but he's no fool on trade.

The game passed him by. Time to retire.

Spens1 wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
I don't think that's a fair statement... Mitch knows price and the news was that he would not bid that high.
Nothing about this feeds into the slow Mitch reporting which stated he was slow at FA because he obeyed the NBA rule to the T.

This. if Mitch knows anything, its how to steal star players from around the league for next to peanuts. (i.e. Gasol)

That was almost 10 years ago...

At least he knows the trade market than your punk ass.
Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Re: Woj/ESPN: lakers talked with sac, out of running due to refusing to add Ingram 

Post#142 » by Indy2LA » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 am

larry14r wrote:
Indy2LA wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:

Spens1 wrote:
This. if Mitch knows anything, its how to steal star players from around the league for next to peanuts. (i.e. Gasol)

It took me five minutes to come up with a Paul George trade that Pacers fans would accept.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1504597&start=40

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6827670
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#143 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 am

So we trade our two biggest assets to become the Indiana Pacers? lol
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,465

Post#144 » by dockingsched » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:45 am

That looks like a great way to get stuck in mediocrity at risk of losing your star player, which sounds exactly like the spot the pacers are in
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#145 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:47 am

Yeah, I can't see us adding Ingram to a Russell/PG13 swap if we wouldn't add Ingram to a Lou Will/Cousins swap...

I do see the logic in the end result, but I don't see us dumping both Ingram and Russell for a single star, even with the cap relief.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,384

Post#146 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 am

yea b/c that worked for the Kings. Simply having an all star with cap space doesnt make your team a draw for another star. Maybe being a playoff team, leader/star already in house and the new guy fits in like a glove is draw but nothing about Cousins has done suggest you should build AROUND him. You should take a chance and add him to what you are doing but trading assets for him to help be the Kings 2.0 is never a good thing

chefy wrote:more concern now on how this is gonna affect the free agency this summer. i expect at least 1 allstar signing for cheap with the pelicans as a domino effect.
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#147 » by SashaTheMachine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 am

Glad we didn't make a move for him. We haven't really given this young core enough time to even see what they can do. If the Sacramento front office can cite "culture change" as one of the main reasons for trading him, then I'm even more glad we stayed away from the mental Hulk, that is, DeMarcus Cousins.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#148 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:51 am

dockingsched wrote:Most I've would've offered was Randle/Clarkson, but ultimately glad Cousins is no where near this team. The best offer the kings got just shows how much teams wanted to avoid Cousins and avoid giving anything of real value.

Ditto. Folks wanna talk about cousins stats. Interior ability. That's all good. A plus. But you also have to mention the stat where he leads the league in Techs. Dude is not garnering big time interest around the league for a reason. Wants to play in his own sandbox.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#149 » by slifersd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 am

If Cousins was a perfect player, Sacramento would have never traded him. He was willing to sign his extension, so it's not like they were forced to cut bait or risk him walking. We can all talk about his many problems, and I don't disagree, but fundamentally, this guy is still a top 15 player in the NBA even with the package. Guys like that aren't available very often. If we still had a championship level team, then by all means, do not take the risk of adding a guy like that. But this team has no star at all, just a couple of youngsters who have potential but have been underwhelming on the court. By not doing a deal like this, we are doubling down on Dlo and BI becoming stars. If, and I am not making any predictions on what happens here, those guys do not end up becoming superstars, we are going to suck for a very long time as well, so it's not like that alternative is so much better.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#150 » by iamworthy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Most I've would've offered was Randle/Clarkson, but ultimately glad Cousins is no where near this team. The best offer the kings got just shows how much teams wanted to avoid Cousins and avoid giving anything of real value.

Exactly, i'm glad we're learning from our mistakes. Dwight was bad enough, and DMC seems to be even worse.

I didn't hear this for myself but per John Ireland, Marc Spears was on the Keyshawn, George, and LZ show and apparently the Lakers were ready to trade Russell and Randle. The audio is on their podcast, I just haven't had time to listen to it.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#151 » by ak7 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:

Exactly, i'm glad we're learning from our mistakes. Dwight was bad enough, and DMC seems to be even worse.

I didn't hear this for myself but per John Ireland, Marc Spears was on the Keyshawn, George, and LZ show and apparently the Lakers were ready to trade Russell and Randle. The audio is on their podcast, I just haven't had time to listen to it.

Makes sense then that Sac would turn that down. Russell wouldn't exactly be the poster boy for the culture they want to implement post-Cousins. Aside from the fact that he's likely a bust..
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#152 » by DNP-Old » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Indy2LA wrote:
larry14r wrote:
Indy2LA wrote:

It took me five minutes to come up with a Paul George trade that Pacers fans would accept.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1504597&start=40

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6827670

LAL can't trade this years pick. If it falls in the top three they can draft for another team and trade the rights to that player (to said team) on the day of the draft, but not sooner...,
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,629

Post#153 » by LordCovington33 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm

slifersd wrote:If Cousins was a perfect player, Sacramento would have never traded him. He was willing to sign his extension, so it's not like they were forced to cut bait or risk him walking. We can all talk about his many problems, and I don't disagree, but fundamentally, this guy is still a top 15 player in the NBA even with the package. Guys like that aren't available very often. If we still had a championship level team, then by all means, do not take the risk of adding a guy like that. But this team has no star at all, just a couple of youngsters who have potential but have been underwhelming on the court. By not doing a deal like this, we are doubling down on Dlo and BI becoming stars. If, and I am not making any predictions on what happens here, those guys do not end up becoming superstars, we are going to suck for a very long time as well, so it's not like that alternative is so much better.

I sense Boogie was only interested in staying to get the supermax. Once he got it, he might have tried to get traded to a better team. Possible. His trade value would have been terrible if true - $40m/yr would have turned off a lot of potential buyers. The possibility of that happening could have been another factor in panic selling him to NO.
Julius Caesar
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#154 » by Julius Caesar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Wanted to add my two cents. People forget that before the Pau Gasol trade, the Lakers turned down several offers that seemed enticing. There were:

-Lamar Odom for Jermaine O'Neal
-Odom & Bynum for Kevin Garnett
-The infamous Bynum for Jason Kidd trade: :lol:

A lot of us (myself included) felt the same way as Kobe at the time. It's pretty clear now that most of those trades would've been quite a bit worse than what we ended up with. Not necessarily saying that a Gasol-esque trade is coming, but I have full faith in Mitch Kupchak's ability to put together a solid trade with the assets we have. He's done it before with Gasol, CP3, and Howard, so I trust Mitch when it comes to trading for superstars (even if his FA abilities may suck :banghead: )
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#155 » by iamworthy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Just listened to the audio. Marc Spears was speculating about Russell and Randle. He figured since their names were brought up in the past with boogie they were probably brought up again. I'm not even sure if it was ever confirmed who was on the table last summer.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#157 » by Slava » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:03 pm

That was before the draft in 2015, so they essentially offered picks 2 and 27 without knowing who the players picked would have been.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#158 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Dont want have to pay cousins big money yet. Wait. See how he behaves with the pelicans.Then make run at him . If we want him.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#159 » by Jakay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:04 pm

What? Brutal. While I love that Boogie and Unibrow get a chance to wreak havoc together, no way is that preferable to trading Sleepy McGee for Boogie, talented as he is.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#160 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:33 pm

FYI

That drama was on keen and growing display the past two weeks, sources say. One source close to the situation said Kupchak and Jeanie Buss had not spoken since Nov. 1, despite her role as president of basketball operations and the power that gave her to fire Kupchak, and that her brother had resorted to communicating with his sister only through lawyers. The same source said Jeanie never was informed of a potential DeMarcus Cousins trade over the weekend and described a chaotic scene in which Jim Buss insisted low-level basketball officials “vote” on the proposed deal while Jeanie and Magic were left in the dark.
“This is a perfect exempt of what needs to change,” the source said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hiring-magic-is-great-for-the-lakers-if-they-hire-a-real-gm-to-help-make-decisions/
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers