ImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Pelinka to become new Lakers GM

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Re: Rob Pelinka to become new Lakers GM 

Post#61 » by lake_show » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:53 am

Hellcrooner wrote:does some of the top notch UFA this offseason happen to be one of his clients?

Only:
Andre Iguodala
And, Shabazz Muhammad

But he's also the agent for:
James Harden
Eric Gordon
Buddy Heild
Dante Exum
Marquese Chriss
Avery Bradley
Dion Waters
Tyus Jones
And, Shabazz Napier
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#62 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 am

Rookie coach.... rookie GM and Rookie President of BB operations. What could go wrong?

Seriously, this could have been done so much better. It's almost like it was a publicity stunt. LA drama in LA I guess.

I'm hoping a guy who's job it's been to convince players that 10% of everything is a good deal can now evaluate talent that actually fits together into a team and not on a stat sheet. That's the nuances of player development and being a GM in the league.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#63 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:05 am

I think it's great what we did with Lou Will. I think they should try and shop Young till the end. Other than that, I'd like to see everyone kinda sit pat. Yes.....if someone wants to trade A-Davis for Ingram, we do it.....but otherwise, let's get everyone together for a month or so, and get a plan. No need to make rushed splashes.

I like what we're doing myself.....I think this is fantastic. But let's not get carried away. Grab as many picks as you can get....and let's just keep our real pieces until Luke can weigh in with everyone, and a full-blown plan is created.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:08 am

Landsberger wrote:Rookie coach.... rookie GM and Rookie President of BB operations. What could go wrong?

It's becoming a bit of a broken record with me....but we could go 27-wins, 21-wins, and 17-wins, and the 22ish we'll prob get this year. In other words: How could any of this possibly be worse than what we've been dealing with? Toss Moz and Deng into the equation, and I just have no worries that this will be better.

Let's all just hope its great. Another couple titles in the next decade would be just fine with me =0)
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#65 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Rookie coach.... rookie GM and Rookie President of BB operations. What could go wrong?

It's becoming a bit of a broken record with me....but we could go 27-wins, 21-wins, and 17-wins, and the 22ish we'll prob get this year. In other words: How could any of this possibly be worse than what we've been dealing with? Toss Moz and Deng into the equation, and I just have no worries that this will be better.

Let's all just hope its great. Another couple titles in the next decade would be just fine with me =0)

Yeah.... I agree to a degree. It just seems so disorganized. The stuff about this being in the works for a while seem to be smoke. The timing was planned to be in the middle of deadline trade season?

It was a coup. It can't be worse can it?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#66 » by TylersLakers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 am

Love the hire.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#67 » by Spens1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:32 am

What is his front office experience?

That is the main difference between Lacob and him. Lacob at least worked in a front office.
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#68 » by Kirito » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 am

danfantastk32 wrote:

OO i dont know trade one of the best 6th men in the league who is killing it making peanutes for 2 years. for a late pick and a bad contract with 2 days left of the tradeline to go....
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:37 am

Kirito wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

OO i dont know trade one of the best 6th men in the league who is killing it making peanutes for 2 years. for a late pick and a bad contract with 2 days left of the tradeline to go....

How about a 4-year $72 million dollar deal for a guy giving you 8-points and 5 rebounds? Thats year-1 for a guy on wrong side of 30.
Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Post#70 » by Kirito » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:40 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Kirito wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

How about a 4-year $72 million dollar deal for a guy giving you 8-points and 5 rebounds? Thats year-1 for a guy on wrong side of 30.

Mitch has what kind of track record? ooo yeah a great one.
The other person has 1 trade on the books ad it was horrible
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#71 » by Jakay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 am

I can't see how a great agent wouldn't make a very competent GM. Obviously he has to prove himself in his new role, but the man obviously knows how to work the phones, discuss deals, work with the CBA, and develop player and front office relationships.

Seems like a smart hire to me. I'd be worried if Magic was planning on being the GM himself. I'm sure he'll still sign off on all transactions, but I doubt he'll be stupid controlling about it a la Dolan.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#72 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 am

Dr Aki wrote:how does an agent even put aside conflicts of interest in this situation?

ask Trump I guess
Forum permissions