ImageImageImageImageImage

D'Angelo Russell Projections

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Mloading
Ballboy
And1: 3

D'Angelo Russell Projections 

Post#1 » by Mloading » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:38 pm

D'angelo Russell has shown some slight improvements over his play from his rookie season. In his Rookie season he averaged 13.2 PPG, 3.3 APG, 3.4 RPG, 2.5 turnovers, shooting 41% from the field and 35% from 3; this season he's been averaging 14.8 PPG,4.8 APG, 3.7 RPG, 2.7 turnovers, shooting 40% from the field and 35% from 3. There are many noticeable differences in how he plays with the team as well in the past two seasons, during his rookie campaign he was playing alongside Laker legend Kobe Bryant and he got into an off court dispute with teammate Nick Young. In my opinion these two things are the what effected his play in his rookie year, playing alongside Kobe isn't easy, especially for a 19 year old. Kobe has a certain mentality that many men don't possess, he expects a lot out of you and wants to see your best out of you at all times because that is what he's going to bring to the table. This is no knock to Kobe, I think this is a great mentality to have, its the mentality that made him a household name for many year in the NBA, its the mentality that won him an MVP award(Which i believe he should have more than one of), and its the mentality that won him 5 rings. Playing with Kobe was a real challenge for D'angelo for this reason, he is still in the process of finding his way in the NBA, Kobe expects greatness out of D'angelo and he just doesn't have it in his rookie season, I mean How many players do? Anyways I feel like this was one thing that held him back from making a bigger step in his NBA career. The Nick Young incident affected him as well both off the court and on the court, I feel like this incident threw off team chemistry and caused him to look worse than he actually was. Add all this together and you have yourself a **** in LA AKA D'angelo Russell's first season. He had a few nights where he hit it off like the game against Brooklyn where he dropped 39 but other than those it wasn't all that. His second season started off really well, I watch him play in the summer league(I know the summer league is trash) and honestly it looked like a different player, his release looked a bit quicker, he seemed to be taking more NBA style shots, and his effort on both ends of the floor looked much better than the previous season. The NBA season rolls around and I've watched 85% of his game this season and I feel like he made a significant jump from his rookie season to his second. He looks more confident on the floor, he's looking for his shot a bit more, and the thing that makes me the most happy with him is that he's facilitating more! I know the kid can score, I'm not worried about his scoring ability , it will come in the NBA with experience. I'm more worried about his defense and playmaking both of which took a step up this year. The trade deadline approaches and Lou Williams is traded, as a D'angelo Russell fanatic I was so happy to see this trade. Lou was taking POSSESSIONS away from D'angelo Russell's NBA growth by being a good player. Lou had to go, he was bringing several positives to the team, he's a hell of player, he just didn't need to be on our team because he was stunting the growth of our young player. Since the Lou trade I feel like the team has new life, we haven't won games but who cares, I'd rather see our team develop right now without Lou because we are going to lose games either way. Since Lou has been traded I feel as if our young players have been Free so to speak, they are able to develop properly. I want to see us lose the rest of the games in the season and get our top 3 pick and draft Josh Jackson. D'angelo will take another big jump next season, I can see him averaging 20 PPG 5APG 5RPG on around 42-43% from the field and 36-37% from 3. As far as this season goes, I'll say the season for D'anglo Russell is a success if he simply shots 20 shots a game for the rest of the season and gets a little bit more comfortable facilitarting for the future because I don't see LA drafting a PG in this draft, we already have a franchise player in the making. To quote D'angelo himself "Y'all aint seen nothing yet"

What are your projections for D'angelo Russell for the future? Do you feel like he's our franchise player?
"The world hasn't seen anything yet" -D'angelo Russell
"I won more than Shaq and you can take that to the bank" - Kobe Bryant
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Re: D'angelo Russell Projections 

Post#2 » by Vae Victus » Thu Mar 2, 2017 8:17 pm

He wont score 20 pts a game unless he becomes a 40% 3pt shooter at his current volume.

At best next season, assuming we trade for PG13 or draft Fultz/Ball/Johnson, i see him being a 18/7/4 at 43/38/85 with good efficiency. Whether he'll be considered a true rising star also depends on his TOs and whether his D has improved. Honestly he needs some damn shooters and PnR big (IE Mozgov needs to catch all the **** balls thrown to him in the PnR) to fully realize his potential.

While its a shame we dont have a budding superstar, i'd happily take a steadily improving young player who has the potential to scratch out multiple all star berths. His D is truly dreadful though, the lack of effort and technique is Shaqtin a Fool worthy tbh.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#3 » by Crooked-I » Thu Mar 2, 2017 8:24 pm

Yo OP, have you heard of paragraphs and newlines lol.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#4 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Mar 2, 2017 8:37 pm

Crooked-I wrote:Yo OP, have you heard of paragraphs and newlines lol.

MY EYES!!!!!!
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#5 » by Princeinrevolt » Thu Mar 2, 2017 10:01 pm

Agree with everything you said!!!
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#6 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Mar 2, 2017 10:53 pm

Vae Victus wrote:He wont score 20 pts a game unless he becomes a 40% 3pt shooter at his current volume.

At best next season, assuming we trade for PG13 or draft Fultz/Ball/Johnson, i see him being a 18/7/4 at 43/38/85 with good efficiency. Whether he'll be considered a true rising star also depends on his TOs and whether his D has improved. Honestly he needs some damn shooters and PnR big (IE Mozgov needs to catch all the **** balls thrown to him in the PnR) to fully realize his potential.

While its a shame we dont have a budding superstar, i'd happily take a steadily improving young player who has the potential to scratch out multiple all star berths. His D is truly dreadful though, the lack of effort and technique is Shaqtin a Fool worthy tbh.

He's already averaging 20ppg per 36minutes, so no. The only way he doesn't average that is if he doesn't get the minutes.
Mloading
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#7 » by Mloading » Thu Mar 2, 2017 10:55 pm

I didn't know there was etiquette on typing in forums, I'll try to abide by it next time.

His defensive problems aren't always his fault tho, more than 50% of the time defensive lapses occur because of team defense not individual defense. Sure some point guards go off against him, but thats all apart of the process, the more reps he gets defensively the more equipped he will be when defending players. Some parts of his game can only be fixed through experience IMO
"The world hasn't seen anything yet" -D'angelo Russell
"I won more than Shaq and you can take that to the bank" - Kobe Bryant
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Thu Mar 2, 2017 11:01 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:

MY EYES!!!!!!

You obviously didn't read the side effects section... "may cause dizziness and rectal bleeding..."
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#9 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:16 am

Mloading wrote:I didn't know there was etiquette on typing in forums, I'll try to abide by it next time.

His defensive problems aren't always his fault tho, more than 50% of the time defensive lapses occur because of team defense not individual defense. Sure some point guards go off against him, but thats all apart of the process, the more reps he gets defensively the more equipped he will be when defending players. Some parts of his game can only be fixed through experience IMO

We have a long, long way to go as a team, but so does he as an individual. I don't think I've ever seen him get in a real defensive stance for more than five seconds at a time.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,648

Post#10 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:18 am

Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

MY EYES!!!!!!

You obviously didn't read the side effects section... "may cause dizziness and rectal bleeding..."

Morning over here, and I coughed up my cereal when I read this. lmao
Did you mean retinal bleeding? Rectal bleeding caused by a lack of paragraphs is funnier though.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,648

Post#11 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 12:23 am

Vae Victus wrote:He wont score 20 pts a game unless he becomes a 40% 3pt shooter at his current volume.

Funny how the top 3 2015 picks have questionable defence. KAT > DLo >>>> Okafor
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#12 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 1:19 am

Mloading, my thoughts are this: One aughta be fairly disappointed in the improvement this year. I think that can be said for more than just D'angelo though. But we signed a guy we thought was gonna be a star. You'd expect a "rising star" to show more and more his 2nd year...and really round it all off by the end of his third. I don't think we got 'more and more'. Instead he got a little better. And things like shooting-% went down. That's not good.

As of right now, he's somewhere around 114 in the PER out of 324. So a bit better than average. His defensive +- is a slight negative on B-Ballreference. I think his defensive rating overall is a little above average there too.

If your a pro Russell guy, I think you can point to the fact that he's only wrapping up his 2nd year, and you could already consider him better than your 'average player'.

I don't know why anyone would be an anti-Russell guy. Do some people think he stinks? I guess there has to be someone.

If your "pro Lakers" like myself, then Russell is just one of 14-15 guys on this team. I don't want lots of $$ tied up on some dude who's "a bit better than average". So I consider him moveable. Especially since he's still cheap, and still has that "potential" tag. IMO, this is the "iron is hot" time. I don't expect that he will be moved....and so I guess he will have another year to prove big things. This next year will prob be big for the both of us (Him, and the Lakers). If he goes off...great. Perfect. This is what everyone wanted, and all the pro-Russell guys will pat themselves on the back. Pro Laker guys like myself will just be glad we have someone good finally....and also be glad we aren't stuck with a dud.

If he pitters along with that same rate of growth....then I think we will have missed the opportunity to have traded him for real value. I don't know what will happen, honestly. I can't look at what little steps were made this year and just magically "know" it's all gonna be better. Last year it was touted that Scott viciously sabotaged him, and tried to ruin his career. "Just wait....the shackles are off now" was the rallying cry. Well? He's played less minutes under Luke. His shooting % is down. And I don't see any signs of a floor leader (There are SOME signs to be fair), or really anything that would make me believe this is our franchise guy.

Personally, I see one of those slightly better than average PG's from Russell. Most PG's are really shooters in lambs clothing. He'll be 9th or 10th best in the league. This is a "worth" comparison...not playing style...but I see Jameer Neilson. OR Avery Johnson. You know....solid, but far from the Nash's or CP3's.
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#13 » by yanuary » Fri Mar 3, 2017 2:49 am

Actually in this season he has 20/5/6 per 36. His defense improved since beginning of the RS - i watched few hours ago (of course i watched every single LAL full game this season so far) first 20 games highlights and this is something like night (at november) and day (february). In future he should be really good defender, especially teamD. Many fans cant see how many mistakes our bigs made in teamD. For example last game vs Hornets - when Randle doesnt "ice" pnr or Swaggy made huge mistake and this allow CHA players made easy layups. And it was good defense by DLO! Im pretty sure that he will improve his jump shot. He has fantastic stats with catch&shoot which leaves pullupJ - and its normal for good/great shooters.

Did anyone notice that he basically eliminated "stupid turnovers" ? - everyone was so mad of this at beginning of the season.
He improved his playmaking, especially in pnr situation (pocket passes!). His maturity and feeling game are phenomenal for sophomore point guard at 21y old.
This is process, if you are not freak like LBJ you have to learn, at most at point guard position. And this is exactly what DLO doing. He learn and improve his game in every aspect.
Last year Lakers were 2.2 per100 worse on D with him on court, now this is -0.3. Last year Lakers were 3.1 pts per100 worse with him on court in offense now they are 3.4 pt per 100 better with him. Its huge difference.

What is the biggest concerns/questions? FTr ability, finish at the rim ability and how much he improve his jumpshot (especially pullup).
But he should be one of the best guards in NBA. Also dont forget that he has INJ problems and is far away for physical prime.

I read on this site many weird comparisons for Russell. He has similarity stats (with worse 3pt shooting, and finish at rim and FT%) to sophomore Curry. But Curry was 2 y older, and this is huge difference. Just think about it...
And enjoy fact that after ASW this is finally his team,
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#14 » by Pythagoras » Fri Mar 3, 2017 3:15 am

Russ has increased his raw numbers, per 36 numbers, and efficiency across the board from his rookie year to this year, and he's been trending up even more still since the team dumped Lou.

Of the guards who qualify of the minutes leaderboard, there are 19 who have a PER of at least 19, and 13 of them had a PER below 16 in their second year.

It doesn't make you "pro Laker" to view Russ as expendable, it makes you unreasonably impatient. Moreover, it doesn't make you a "pro Russell" guy to praise him this year, it just means you've been paying attention.
Numbers rule the universe.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,683

Post#15 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:42 am

Russ will be fine. He's improved a bit from least season. I don't think he'll be a franchise player though. I think if in the right opportunity he can still make at least one all star appearance. Probably in the minority, but if the Laker's have the opportunity to draft Lonzo Ball I would do it in a heartbeat and try to trade Russell for good value (I don't think they will mesh well together). Imo Ball is just overall better than Russell in nearly every category and can be a franchise player. He's on another level athletically and just plays at a much better tempo for this modern era. Russell just plays too slow at times, almost like he's not trying.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:10 am

Pythagoras wrote:It doesn't make you "pro Laker" to view Russ as expendable, it makes you unreasonably impatient. Moreover, it doesn't make you a "pro Russell" guy to praise him this year, it just means you've been paying attention.

So I think you took that a little to intense and literally.

I don't think anyone who really likes Russell is in any way/shape/form 'anti Laker'. It was more an off-hand comment meaning that I am neither for or against Russell. And I'm not. I just care about what he can do for the Lakers. He's not given me any titles. There's no reason to ever over-pay him. He's not shown himself to be 'clutch in the playoffs'.....he's earned nothing from me. So I won't try and spin his value in either direction. I see a guy who's #112 in the PER, and will surely get that down....but I'd call it far from a "sure thing" that he'll get down into the top 50 for any measurable stretch. He didn't take a big step this 2nd season. He's not shown himself to be unstoppable at anything. He's not giving anyone fits.....teams aren't having to "stop and take notice".....none of the stuff that the REAL talented guys in the NBA do. You knew A-Davis had the goods right away, right? Towns is wrecking it. Go look at Durants first couple years. John Walls. Figuring out if you have a legit franchise-level player doesn't take half a decade.

I'll throw out a couple notable exception to be fair. Thomas with the Celtics. His first couple years look alot like Russells. Nash is a great example. He didn't turn into anything special until he was in his mid-50's. So it happens. I'm not saying the book is written. But when asked to give my predictions.....I don't think Russell will even be good enough to be the 2nd best player on a title-winning squad.

The word 'expendable' was prob not a good word to use. "moveable"....how's that? I think that right now we'd prob be able to sell high on him. I'd totally move Randle as well, by the way. . He's in the exact same boat with me. Didn't really impress me his 2nd year. Honestly, Nobody impressed me too much. Nobody really took any big steps if you ask me.
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#17 » by Princeinrevolt » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:24 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:It doesn't make you "pro Laker" to view Russ as expendable, it makes you unreasonably impatient. Moreover, it doesn't make you a "pro Russell" guy to praise him this year, it just means you've been paying attention.

So I think you took that a little to intense and literally.

I don't think anyone who really likes Russell is in any way/shape/form 'anti Laker'. It was more an off-hand comment meaning that I am neither for or against Russell. And I'm not. I just care about what he can do for the Lakers. He's not given me any titles. There's no reason to ever over-pay him. He's not shown himself to be 'clutch in the playoffs'.....he's earned nothing from me. So I won't try and spin his value in either direction. I see a guy who's #112 in the PER, and will surely get that down....but I'd call it far from a "sure thing" that he'll get down into the top 50 for any measurable stretch. He didn't take a big step this 2nd season. He's not shown himself to be unstoppable at anything. He's not giving anyone fits.....teams aren't having to "stop and take notice".....none of the stuff that the REAL talented guys in the NBA do. You knew A-Davis had the goods right away, right? Towns is wrecking it. Go look at Durants first couple years. John Walls. Figuring out if you have a legit franchise-level player doesn't take half a decade.

I'll throw out a couple notable exception to be fair. Thomas with the Celtics. His first couple years look alot like Russells. Nash is a great example. He didn't turn into anything special until he was in his mid-50's. So it happens. I'm not saying the book is written. But when asked to give my predictions.....I don't think Russell will even be good enough to be the 2nd best player on a title-winning squad.

The word 'expendable' was prob not a good word to use. "moveable"....how's that? I think that right now we'd prob be able to sell high on him. I'd totally move Randle as well, by the way. . He's in the exact same boat with me. Didn't really impress me his 2nd year. Honestly, Nobody impressed me too much. Nobody really took any big steps if you ask me.

Every post you have about Russell is basically the same exact thing.... I think we understand... Its obvious that anyone is movable. Yes D'angelo is not a superstar, we get it. Thank you for repeating it multiple times, we never get tired of hearing it. D'angelo Russell, the 21 year old, can't lead this young team to victories, and that means he is clearly a bust. I mean when we get the second pick, he has to be a superstar. Who cares about stats, My eye test is all that matters. I have a magic 8 ball and it told me that D'angelo Russell is just an average player, and will always be an average player.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:32 am

Princeinrevolt wrote: Every post you have about Russell is basically the same exact thing.... I think we understand... Its obvious that anyone is movable. Yes D'angelo is not a superstar, we get it. Thank you for repeating it multiple times, we never get tired of hearing it. D'angelo Russell, the 21 year old, can't lead this young team to victories, and that means he is clearly a bust. I mean when we get the second pick, he has to be a superstar. Who cares about stats, My eye test is all that matters. I have a magic 8 ball and it told me that D'angelo Russell is just an average player, and will always be an average player.

Nice cliff notes. Don't forget the incredibly average PER (Randle's too). The 19-42 record doesn't help much either. You can't have it all man. Sometimes a player won't become a star. Stinks when it's your guy, but eventually you have to look at what's in front of you. "Bust" is your word. I think that's harsh...but if that's how you feel, I get it. 2nd comes with expectations.

btw...I was a pretty avid Russell (and Randle) defender until about half way through the season. Haven't given up....but at some point you gotta earn some of that praise.
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#19 » by yanuary » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:39 am

danfantastk32 wrote: He didn't take a big step this 2nd season. He's not shown himself to be unstoppable at anything. He's not giving anyone fits.....teams aren't having to "stop and take notice".....none of the stuff that the REAL talented guys in the NBA do. You knew A-Davis had the goods right away, right? Towns is wrecking it. Go look at Durants first couple years. John Walls. Figuring out if you have a legit franchise-level player doesn't take half a decade.

He did.
Also he has similar sophomore season (arguably better) than J.Wall.
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:43 am

yanuary wrote: Also he has similar sophomore season (arguably better) than J.Wall.

Yeah....I guess when you compensate the minutes it's pretty close. Ok, I give you that.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers