The '17 Lottery under the Microscope

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Christine-In-AZ
Starter
And1: 1,539

The '17 Lottery under the Microscope 

Post#1 » by Christine-In-AZ » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm

(Hey Laker fans,
I posted this on the GB, but thought you guys might be interested. Don't know how you process the "Lottery is Rigged" talk, especially with so many claiming LA gets "help". I thinks it's just dumb, and like to push back. So here's my latest pushing back.)

Yes, yet another post about the NBA lottery and the rigging conspiracy theory that seems to forever ride shotgun with it. After this one I'm done, I promise.....until next year.

I tried last week with a topic, to get those that believe it's all rigged or half rigged or occasionally rigged to explain how the NBA pulls off this mischief...the possible nuts & bolts of the operation. The thread (of course) quickly devolved into reasons why the NBA would want to fix the numbers, not the how. Repeated ramblings about Ewing/Knicks 30+ years ago, the Cavs improbable string of #1s, Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose & Chicago, how the league couldn't possibly allow random chance to assign draft positions because of the maaaaassive moneys attached to getting high draft picks in right markets (phhhtt). How obviously rigged this '17 lottery was, especially with the Lakers keeping their pick given they had less than a 50/50 chance at staying in the top 3...and so on.

The best internal workings theory I read of how the NBA actually does it, was that it's some sort of magic show...some type of slight of hand with the ping pong balls in order to get the young talent where they can produce the highest profits for the league. Talk of weighted balls? Heated balls? Some vague idea about variable manipulation of the lottery machine during the drawing that could somehow specify certain numbers to come up when needed? No strong, focused how-they-do-it opinions...rather they just do, because.

In the end, it is just about the numbers, so here are some of the actual numbers on display. I've focused mainly on the Laker-Suns angle, because that's what I hear most often and loudest is that the NBA made sure LA kept their pick due to Magic Johnson love and/or Lonzo Ball and/or Lakers winning is needed for the league's success....blah, blah.

So you can go through the number drawings round by round to help you decide what's a logical reason why the Lakers kept their pick...or it might help you explain how the NBA rigged it for a particular outcome...which exact balls/numbers were ****ed with, when were they deployed or suppressed for the needed bottom line results??? (Adam Silver rubs his hands together in evil glee). Then! Tell me what you believe the NBA did for the Lakers, by the numbers.

...but! Probably not. This'll likely produce more ranting about past "curious" results. Talk of mathematical "improbabilities" from people that don't seem to know a lick about how chance actually works. Money, money, money. The "backfire" effect will make the believers of the conspiracy, believe it with even more conviction.

Critical thinking? Occam's Razor? Logic? Well that's the beauty of conspiracies and why they're exploding - they don't need to be logical.

***********************************************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************************************

Sixers were certainly poised to push out LA also. Philly's numbers didn't help much, but you know what happened. Their numbers...

for contextual listening pleasure
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Re: The '17 Lottery under the Microscope 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 pm

yeh, how does anyone legitimately believe you can rig flying ping pong balls is beyond me
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: The '17 Lottery under the Microscope 

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon May 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Good effort but you don't have to post this on every forum. The Lakers fans can read it on the general board.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers