ImageImageImageImageImage

Expectations for Andrew Bynum?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Trifecta7
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#41 » by Trifecta7 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:57 am

I agree with you that he wouldn't be unhappy. No arguments with that. I meant Bynum saying Odom grabbing all the rebounds in a positive manner. Bynum said that in a positive manner at the time too. These two are really wired and competitive to go after the rebounds was what I was saying.

14+ seems tougher to accomplish looking at the other teams. Check out these stats for best rebounding big men in the regular season teams including us:

Magic (Pace: 95.6 - Team Total: 42.0):

Dwight Howard - 14.2
Hedo Turkoglu - 5.7
Rashard Lewis - 5.4
Jameer Nelson - 3.5
Keith Bogans - 3.2

Nuggets (Pace: 102.3 - Team Total: 44.1):

Marcus Camby - 13.1
Carmelo Anthony - 7.4
Kenyon Martin - 6.5 (Nene - 5.4)
Eduardo Najera - 4.3
Linas Kleiza - 4.2

Hornets (Pace: 92.1 - Team Total: 41.8 )

Tyson Chandler - 11.7
David West - 8.9
Peja Stojakovic - 4.3
Chris Paul - 4.0
Bonzi Wells - 3.2

Spurs (Pace: 90.8 - Team Total: 41.3):

Tim Duncan - 11.3
Fabricio Oberto - 5.2
Kurt Thomas - 4.9
Manu Ginobili - 4.8
Tony Parker - 3.2

Lakers (Pace: 98.0 - Team Total: 44.1)

Lamar Odom - 10.6
Pau Gasol - 7.9 (Andrew Bynum - 10.2)
Kobe Bryant - 6.3
Luke Walton - 3.9
Ronny Turiaf - 3.9
CX44
Analyst

Post#42 » by CX44 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 am

With Gasol and Odom in the mix, Bynum's numbers should be closer to what he was averging prior to his injury. There are just so many shots to go around. If less is expected of him offensively he can focus on rebounding and defense.
tagsu
Sophomore

Post#43 » by tagsu » Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm

we'll be fine as long as odom doesn't step under him again
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#44 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 am

Erik Eleven wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I've been right about him so far, for what it's worth. Watch some games from right before the injury, it'll make you stop laughing. If you're not informed enough to have an educated opinion, how can you be so sure that you're right? Friendly advise; don't be that guy. Watch the last five-ten games and study his game in detail, and you'll see what I mean. I promise. And, please notice that I did say over the next 7-10 years, not next season.

1. Bynum has not played will Pau Gasol yet. You can't just add stats together and not expect the players around him to have an impact on his stats.

Example: Denver has 30 ppg scorer Carmelo Anthony and trades for 31 ppg scorer Allen Iverson. They're not going to go for new highs on the same team. There's only so many shots, so many rebounds, so many points.

2. The last guy to average 15 rpg was Ben Wallace in 2002-03. His sole focus is to rebound. All of his energy is expended accomplishing that sole goal. Not too mention the fact that he doesn't have to fight Gasol and Odom for rebounds (this was pre-Sheed), or face the fact that the Lakers have a much better bench now than the Pistons in 02-03 (more minutes for Ben, 39.3 mpg to be exact. Bynum will never average more than 38 mpg in a year, maybe not even 36.)
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#45 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Fri May 30, 2008 2:29 am

j-far wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't know that only makes 70 pts b/w those 3 guys. So your math might be a bit off. :wink:

Don't worry, I took 4th grade math. But you've got to take an entire team into account. If Gasol and Kobe and Bynum are scoring 70 ppg. You're telling me Odom + Fisher + Turiaf + Farmar + Sasha + Vlad + Walton + Ariza are only scoring 30-40 ppg combined? When they averaged 72.5 ppg this year? That's how you get insane point totals if you think Bynum and Gasol and Kobe can all continue to put up insane numbers. Its just not possible.

Bynum will not touch 20 ppg on the Lakers as they are currently constructed. Maybe if you're predicting Kobe to retire and Gasol to be traded for draft picks or something, then I take back everything I typed.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#46 » by Patterns » Fri May 30, 2008 2:45 am

j-far wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't know that only makes 70 pts b/w those 3 guys. So your math might be a bit off. :wink:

20/15/4/3? LOL. I'll be happy with 19/13/3/2.5

Those numbers are insane.

But yea, those 3 will not average 70 points together. That's stupid. Gasol can't get 20 now without Bynum. What makes you think that with Bynum and Gasol they can both get 20 each? And Kobe didn't get 30 this year.
SPuL
Senior

Post#47 » by SPuL » Fri May 30, 2008 1:01 pm

I can't see Bynum putting up more than 15 PPG with Gasol out there..

Going to truly be amazing to see a starting lineup of Fish, Kobe, Odom, Pau, Drew.. That's absolutely insane.. Although I wouldn't mind Lamar coming off the bench so we can start Radman.. We could use his outside shooting.. Lamar is already a huge mismatch but off the bench? lol
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#48 » by Slava » Fri May 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Don't worry, I took 4th grade math. But you've got to take an entire team into account. If Gasol and Kobe and Bynum are scoring 70 ppg. You're telling me Odom + Fisher + Turiaf + Farmar + Sasha + Vlad + Walton + Ariza are only scoring 30-40 ppg combined? When they averaged 72.5 ppg this year? That's how you get insane point totals if you think Bynum and Gasol and Kobe can all continue to put up insane numbers. Its just not possible.

Bynum will not touch 20 ppg on the Lakers as they are currently constructed. Maybe if you're predicting Kobe to retire and Gasol to be traded for draft picks or something, then I take back everything I typed.

You basically asnwered yourself over there. There's only so many shots on the floor. If another dominant scorer gets added to the core, the shots Lamar, Luke and Co.. would be reduced. So even if the big 3 were to average 70, the point average migh not go higher than 120!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers