ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Finals - Lakers vs Celtics - Game 1 (SLOW CPUs BEWARE!)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Trifecta7
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#461 » by Trifecta7 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 9:13 am

Ugh, most definitely a wasted opportunity. Got to take Game 2 and accomplish the goal of at least one road game.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#462 » by theman » Fri Jun 6, 2008 1:21 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:Two calls that stuck out from the first half:

1. They called a backcourt violation on Gasol when it was not

2. They called a foul on Gasol when it was a clean block

Make no mistake, the Celtics won, but Lakers were right there with the momentum at the half and the lead. Second half was another story.

Game 2 is a must IMO.

2a. Gasol got ball AND wrist. That will (almost) always get a foul.

3. From the second half. PJ Brown clearly had both feet planted when he was called for a block on Odom on what should have been a charge.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#463 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 1:21 pm

it was there for us, we just couldn't get baskets in the second half when we needed them
kobe will shoot better in game 2, and i think that will be the difference
he knows what will be effective now
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#464 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:22 pm

Even with Andrew Bynum I don't think we can beat Boston... they are THAT good, unfortunately.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
BigAkers
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#465 » by BigAkers » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:35 pm

I still stand by my prediction that the Lakers will win game 2. This team has responded to losses in the postseason very well...
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#466 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:50 pm

the reason u don't see ariza is easy to tell. Career 20% 3pt shooter, luck career 34% 3pt shooter. If ariza was in, pierce would be 20ft off him in the paint taking away any drives. With luke, he at least has to stay honest.

And lets face it, lakers didn't make it here because of their awesome defense. They made it on offense, over 100 a game.

They scored 108 a game and gave up 101 a game in regular season

They held the celtics to 98. Below the average. They only scored 88. 20 down.

Only way ariza would help lakers offense was if u were running in open court, and i think the lakers had what, 4-6 fast break pts?

Hard to bash on Phil Jackson as a playoff coach in my opinion and bash his rotations. He knows a lot more then any of us.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#467 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:09 pm

theman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

2a. Gasol got ball AND wrist. That will (almost) always get a foul.

3. From the second half. PJ Brown clearly had both feet planted when he was called for a block on Odom on what should have been a charge.

Congrats on the win.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
tlifeset
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#468 » by tlifeset » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:37 pm

Some very good points.

Yeah, you have to play Luke over Ariza ... even Phil said as much. They need shooters to create spacing.

Look, I'm not going to blame Kobe or Odom. They had good looks and the shots didn't fall.

They had a chance to win the game in the end, but there were some stupid fouls and the ball just didn't bounce their way.

You saw the complete potential of the C's offense and defense. I don't think you've seen the potential of the Lakers on offense or on defense. They will be fine. You could see that they were trying to feel them out.

And Pierce's fake injury really threw a wrench into the game. It ruined the rhythm and everyone's flow. It also mangled the substitution pattern because everyone got an extra break. I think you're going to see the Celts pull some stuff like this because they want to play Pierce and KG 40 minutes a game if they can. Don't be surprised when they start pulling the NFL tactic of laying down a little bit longer to stop the other team's momentum and catch their breath.

By the way ... Doc isn't smart enough to figure out that Perkins is going to kill the C's in this series. When he was out there, the ball movement was great and they got some easy open looks. The second he got injured is when the C's when on their run.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#469 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:43 pm

tlifeset wrote:Some very good points.

Yeah, you have to play Luke over Ariza ... even Phil said as much. They need shooters to create spacing.

Look, I'm not going to blame Kobe or Odom. They had good looks and the shots didn't fall.

They had a chance to win the game in the end, but there were some stupid fouls and the ball just didn't bounce their way.

You saw the complete potential of the C's offense and defense. I don't think you've seen the potential of the Lakers on offense or on defense. They will be fine. You could see that they were trying to feel them out.

And Pierce's fake injury really threw a wrench into the game. It ruined the rhythm and everyone's flow. It also mangled the substitution pattern because everyone got an extra break. I think you're going to see the Celts pull some stuff like this because they want to play Pierce and KG 40 minutes a game if they can. Don't be surprised when they start pulling the NFL tactic of laying down a little bit longer to stop the other team's momentum and catch their breath.

By the way ... Doc isn't smart enough to figure out that Perkins is going to kill the C's in this series. When he was out there, the ball movement was great and they got some easy open looks. The second he got injured is when the C's when on their run.

denfese i think your right, but i'm not so sure on their offense garnett missed a lot of shots that he had been making earlier, he looks like he could have a bigger game, but then some other bench players could have smaller contributions if KG does score more, i agree they are a more limited offensive team though
Andrew Bynasty
Banned User

Post#470 » by Andrew Bynasty » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:45 pm

theman wrote:3. From the second half. PJ Brown clearly had both feet planted when he was called for a block on Odom on what should have been a charge.

Watch the play again... PJ clearly moved his body sideways to initiate contact.

Seriously... Go watch that play again.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#471 » by Slava » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:30 pm

Where the hell was SUper Kobe and why is Old man Cassell still scoring 10 pts against us?

WHy was KG left open for dunks?

Why didn't Kobe get back in transition to stop those Pierece 3s? :lol:

Game 2 is must win! Lets get back and move ahead!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#472 » by Slava » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:32 pm

Looks like Ariza is not going to play any part in this series. :nonono:

Disappointing and that makes us severely shorthanded.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#473 » by shobe_81 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:30 pm

And what's with the machine taking turnaround jumpers, If I were Phil I'd give him the green light only on open shots!

I hate when he gets a pick from Gasol and he's running full speed off the pick and suddenly stops and takes a leaning jumper which HE ALWAYS misses.

Kobe's Shot selection was BAD, even though some Should've gone in, he took some crappy ones where he pump-fakes like 3 time and the defender doesn't bite.
blix
Analyst

Post#474 » by blix » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:57 pm

Pierce is a drama queen.

That is all.

Go Lakers.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,830

Post#475 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:00 pm

blix wrote:Pierce is a drama queen.

That is all.

Go Lakers.

This coming from someone who follows Kobe. Did Kobe ask to be traded today?

:lol: :lol:
blix
Analyst

Post#476 » by blix » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:02 pm

I didn't say Kobe wasn't a drama queen...Kobe's drama got us to the finals. Pierce's drama got him much-needed attention.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#477 » by Erik Eleven » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:36 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:the reason u don't see ariza is easy to tell. Career 20% 3pt shooter, luck career 34% 3pt shooter. If ariza was in, pierce would be 20ft off him in the paint taking away any drives. With luke, he at least has to stay honest...

... Only way ariza would help lakers offense was if u were running in open court, and i think the lakers had what, 4-6 fast break pts?

That's exactly why Ariza must play. With him defending, we'd get way more fastbreak points. He's a top notch, fierce, athletic, quick, long and very smart defender. Every time he plays, he creates turnovers, steals, he contests shots extremely well and would force the Celtics to take tougher shots. Tough shots lead to fast breaks. Ariza is a very good finisher on the fastbreak. Bringing him off the bench as opposed to Luke would create a tempo that's favorable to the Lakers.

But you're right, it's very hard to make the case that you know more than Phil when it comes to playoffs basketball. Personally, I just can't wait until Phil is forced to play him in this series so I can see with my own eyes that playing Ariza over Luke is wrong.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#478 » by YiYaoYue » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:38 pm

The Walton that showed up for Spurs is fine over Ariza.. but the way Walton played... looked like he didn't want to beat his dad's team or something... he just didn't show up... we can't have a hole in the roster like that..
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#479 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Jun 6, 2008 9:12 pm

TyCobb wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's a good thing that never gets old.
neither do you,

but don't worry, I still love you anyway in a very homoerotic way..................pause..............!
Forum permissions