ImageImageImageImageImage

What did u guys notice about game one???

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#21 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:37 pm

it was a winnable game, the series is far from over, lakers need to cut back on fouling them so much and they need to try and get to the line more, kobe especially
hermes
RealGM

Post#22 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:40 pm

daddyfivestar wrote:They need to take the same approach as they did with the Spurs: Completely shut down 1 of the big 3. Ray is the target...start with Kobe, then mix it up with Sasha (Kobe going on Rondo or PP). Get him out of rhythym just like Manu.

Without all three clicking, the Celtics will struggle to get 85 pts just like SA. Lakers will get 85 on a bad night (see gm 1).

I disagree with the Rondo takes. If he is taking 10 or more shots, good for LA. If he is not breaking down our PGs and setting up his team, and more importantly getting Perkins off with layups/dunks, good for LA.
Rondo's FTs boosted his stats, which leads to the fouling issue. Double team less, stay in position instead of slow rotating then reaching, and box out better due to being in position.

Get into the transition game on O, and definitely more Kobe/LO to the hole! the shootg pctg has to improve or its curtains.

Finally, the C's played their game and Phil+staff should review and make the proper adjustments. These teams are fairly even except in one are, Phil+Staff's 10 finals experience vs Doc's zero! Use it!

excellent point on shutting down one of the big 3, the celtics seem to be a limited offensive team in terms of where they get their points

lakers need to get sasha and vlad going from 3 also
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#23 » by Squirrel Boy » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:41 pm

Kobe missed 75% of his shots, 50% of those misses were makable as well.

Our team played good defense but let out in the 4th.

We let Pierce faking his sprained knee and then coming back to play get to us. After we saw that, we just stopped playing.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#24 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:49 pm

I would not be surprised if Rondo consistently got 7-10 free throws a game in this series. Fisher cannot prevent him from driving to the hoop, and there's no way the bigs will slide off Garnett to stop him. His jumper might not fall in a couple games but he can keep taking it to the hoop and draw fouls because LA can't stop hacking in the paint.

I do agree that the focus should be to shut down Ray Allen. He is the easiest to bottle up, as KG and PP can beat their guys on iso's while Ray needs screens and picks for a lot of points. However, I have yet to see the Lakers really shut down a player the caliber of Ray. Manu was hurt, so that's not a fair comparison.

To even have a chance on the boards, LA has to attack offensively and get Perkins into foul trouble. If he can play a lot of minutes, even if he doesn't grab the board, he will seal off Odom or Gasol and make life very hard for LA on the glass.

LA had a shot to win the game, but don't think that the 5-20 output was solely the fault of Lakers players 'not stepping up.' Boston had the best defense in the NBA for a reason, and unlike San Antonio they are fast enough to stay with the Lakers bigs, which ultimately killed the Spurs. I don't think LA will consistently score under 90 points in this series, but I also don't think they will stop Boston from scoring 95-105 a game either.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#25 » by Tonyism74 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:53 pm

We lost because:

Kobe - Held the dribble, no ball movement. Lamar and Sasha kept mentioning this after the game, that they needed to (using Kobes line) execute by pasing the ball.

4th Quarter - We couldnt buy a basket.

Things I noticed - Paul Pierce and company are drama queens. He go carried off by several people, gets whellchaired out and 2 minutes later comes running to the court. I wanted to punch him in his face. Save the hero stories.
Yes, im posting all over again!
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#26 » by ShowtimeFan » Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:00 pm

I noticed:
1) The Celtics "Big three" all surpassed their averages
2) The Celtics shot a higher FG percentage
3) The Celtics shot a higher FT percentage
4) The Celtics shot a higher 3-point percentage
5) The Celtics had 13 more Rebounds
6) The Celtics had 8 LESS Fouls
--------------------------------------->
7) I noticed the Lakers did have 5 less Turnovers, WHOOPEE!
8 I noticed Kobe missing 17 shots, the Lakers will lose, just about everytime, no need for the blame to go much further than that.
9) I noticed Pau will NEVER move towards the basket "as shots are in the air", he loves to stand back and watch, then react to missed shots, he constantly gets out hustled and that is why we need Bynum back in the middle.

Unless the Lakers can do better in the first 6 points above, they will not win the series.
hermes
RealGM

Post#27 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:10 pm

i was surprised that the lakers only turned it over 8 times that was good, need to force a few more on the celtics

the fg% were bad for both teams but basically the same
celtics: 32-76 lakers: 32-77
lakers need to hit their 3's
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by daddyfivestar » Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:40 pm

This is who Boston is. 85-95 ppg
Look at the scores of all the other playoff gms...67, 72, 74, 79, 84, 88 etc.

Take out Ray Allen from 19-20 down to 10-11ppg, let KG get his 24-25, let PP get 22-23, Rondo should NOT get 10 FTs if LA is not in the Bonus 1/2 game, and LA should get 95 easily while Boston will struggle to get into the 90s. Get Kobe and LO to the rack and make more open looks.

Remember, this was a MUST win for Boston. Going down 0-1 with prospects of 0-2 and then 3 in LA meant must win for them.

Reminded me of gm 3 in Utah, seemed to be in control then played sloppy, missed open looks, let the crowd get in it, and left feeling like they could've won but have to tighten the reigns up and play better in the 4th.
hermes
RealGM

Post#29 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:44 pm

taking out allen will be the key to game 2, rondo probably won't get 10ft's a game, and i'm not sure if he can hit those shots consistently especially on the road- if fish continues to play even or better than rondo thats good
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#30 » by Gus McCrae » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm sure it's already been discussed and I don't want to harp on bad calls BUT....

why was that not a back court violation when they threw it back and KG got the ball? Was it tipped?
Andrew Bynasty
Banned User

Post#31 » by Andrew Bynasty » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:17 pm

Tonyism74 wrote:Things I noticed - Paul Pierce and company are drama queens. He go carried off by several people, gets whellchaired out and 2 minutes later comes running to the court. I wanted to punch him in his face. Save the hero stories.

Agreed... It made me sick watching that stupid replay 300 times. Give me a break... Pierce just needed to put some vag creme on in the locker room.
lakerboy
Sophomore

Post#32 » by lakerboy » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:25 pm

well what i think that turn the momentum over to the c's is when pau and lo went really soft to the basket,that when the whole game changed..
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#33 » by SuigintouEV » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:23 pm

SoCAL24 wrote:I'm sure it's already been discussed and I don't want to harp on bad calls BUT....

why was that not a back court violation when they threw it back and KG got the ball? Was it tipped?

KG jumped and saved it a la those hustle out of bounds plays. Neither he or the ball touched backcourt
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Return to Los Angeles Lakers