ImageImageImageImageImage

Odom's Future

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#61 » by Kilroy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:11 pm

In my disturbed mind, I have Ariza developing a solid mid-range jumper and becoming our Ideal SF this post-season.

Then if we could somehow get Odom to stay with a reduced role, maybe we don't need a whole lot.

Bynum/Gasol/Turiaf
Gasol/Odom/Turiaf
Ariza/Walton/Odom
Kobe/Vuja-Machine/Ariza
Fish/Farmar/Kobe/Machina

If that would work all I think we'd need is some back-up muscle down low (Cake-boy? I honestly can't remember his name) and either some improvement out of Farmar or a Radman/Combo-Gaurd trade.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#62 » by hermes » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Kilroy wrote:In my disturbed mind, I have Ariza developing a solid mid-range jumper and becoming our Ideal SF this post-season.

Then if we could somehow get Odom to stay with a reduced role, maybe we don't need a whole lot.

Bynum/Gasol/Turiaf
Gasol/Odom/Turiaf
Ariza/Walton/Odom
Kobe/Vuja-Machine/Ariza
Fish/Farmar/Kobe/Machina

If that would work all I think we'd need is some back-up muscle down low (Cake-boy? I honestly can't remember his name) and either some improvement out of Farmar or a Radman/Combo-Gaurd trade.

hahaha yes that would be most excellent
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#63 » by milesfides » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:41 pm

For an Odom replacement, why wouldn't Buss just give Sasha the sizable extension that he'll demand and start him at 2-guard?

Or does Buss plan to make Sasha another overpriced bench player along with Walton and Radmanovic?

If Sasha continues to play well, and Odom continues to play poorly, I see Buss replacing Odom with him. And there's no question whether or not Sasha's game fits with Bynum or the rest of the starters.

Buss would look for assets that wouldn't hurt the luxury tax situation, such as a combination of picks, expiring contracts, trade exceptions, players with low salaries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trading Odom for a guy like Kirilenko (especially when Odom had such a good series against the Jazz), I just doubt Buss does it when Sasha, Turiaf, Farmar and most of all, Bynum are up for extensions.

The team salary will become astronomical if Buss keeps everybody, and since Odom is the easiest and most convenient cut, I assume he's the most likely candidate to get cut.

But hey, if Mitch finds a way to unload Walton and Radmanovic, even for nothing, that would be almost as surprising as landing Gasol. Although, even if that happens, I think Buss would regard three max contracts are enough - Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol. Buss probably sees the addition of Gasol as Odom's replacement - and Bynum's extension as Odom's salary replacement.

If the Lakers keep Odom (or trade for an equivalently paid player), it'll be four max or near-max guys, and I kinda doubt that happening. When we we were winning rings with Shaq and Kobe, it was 2.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#64 » by hermes » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 pm

milesfides wrote:
But hey, if Mitch finds a way to unload Walton and Radmanovic, even for nothing, that would be almost as surprising as landing Gasol.

do you believe in magic

it will be interesting to see what is done with odom, it seems he is the one who could go either way(being on the team or not next year)
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#65 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:27 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:Trade him and Ariza for Luol Deng and change

Dont tease me. Also a package for Gerald Wallace would be awesome.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#66 » by Kilroy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Walton has had a bad season... No question.

But I think he's underrated at this point. I think he was pretty solid last night and gave Powe some headaches.

Radman must go though. Not only is he redundant, but he's also irratic and mistake-prone. That being said, I've like his energy for the last 2 games... I just wish he could focus it a bit more into some sort of positive production.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#67 » by YiYaoYue » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 pm

with memphis after monta ellis he might end up getting a huge contract as GSW want to keep monta ellis. That means baron davis might want to leave as they won't sign him for a lot of money. could it be possible to trade with GSW by giving up atleast vlad or walton along with odom for baron davis and stephen jackson? or is it too late for them to trade? not sure exactly on the rules.

assuming lamar odom re-signs for less and gives GSW enough cap room to sign biedren and monte
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
ahwi_quacoe
Senior
And1: 3

Post#68 » by ahwi_quacoe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:16 pm

What about Lamar for Iverson , at least you know what you would be getting night in and night out. Probably add about two to three years to Kobe's career. HE would put pressure on the oppsoing teams perimeter guard and I guarantee Kobe would get a lot more open looks. Pau Gasol would get a lot of tip ins and Bynum would get Dwight Howard rebounding numbers.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#69 » by Gerald3Wallace » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 pm

i wouldnt mind a odom for wallace..

they did put wallace at the power forward position for a while...and he did decent.
Trifecta7
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#70 » by Trifecta7 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 pm

milesfides wrote:For an Odom replacement, why wouldn't Buss just give Sasha the sizable extension that he'll demand and start him at 2-guard?

Or does Buss plan to make Sasha another overpriced bench player along with Walton and Radmanovic?

If Sasha continues to play well, and Odom continues to play poorly, I see Buss replacing Odom with him. And there's no question whether or not Sasha's game fits with Bynum or the rest of the starters.

Buss would look for assets that wouldn't hurt the luxury tax situation, such as a combination of picks, expiring contracts, trade exceptions, players with low salaries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trading Odom for a guy like Kirilenko (especially when Odom had such a good series against the Jazz), I just doubt Buss does it when Sasha, Turiaf, Farmar and most of all, Bynum are up for extensions.

The team salary will become astronomical if Buss keeps everybody, and since Odom is the easiest and most convenient cut, I assume he's the most likely candidate to get cut.

But hey, if Mitch finds a way to unload Walton and Radmanovic, even for nothing, that would be almost as surprising as landing Gasol. Although, even if that happens, I think Buss would regard three max contracts are enough - Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol. Buss probably sees the addition of Gasol as Odom's replacement - and Bynum's extension as Odom's salary replacement.

If the Lakers keep Odom (or trade for an equivalently paid player), it'll be four max or near-max guys, and I kinda doubt that happening. When we we were winning rings with Shaq and Kobe, it was 2.

I understand Buss' position, but I really do hate the thought of dumping talent due to money concerns especially after we saw how much it bit the Suns in the ass. The Suns thought 3 all-stars was enough and let Joe Johnson go.

If Odom goes due to luxury tax issues and there's not a sufficient level of talent returned while keeping guys like Luke and Vlad (10+ million in the future combined) instead, that would suck.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#71 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:58 am

i dont think charlotte considers wallace for odom unless it put them into championship territory
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#72 » by ShowtimeFan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Odom's play in the Finals will go along way of defining his next contract.

I mean if he continues to struggle, you really think he has much trade value?

And Mitch will have the justification he needs to give him a reduced money contract.

I like he versatility and hope we keep him, he was great against the Spurs, Jazz and Nuggets.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,970

Post#73 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Trifecta7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand Buss' position, but I really do hate the thought of dumping talent due to money concerns especially after we saw how much it bit the Suns in the ass. The Suns thought 3 all-stars was enough and let Joe Johnson go.

If Odom goes due to luxury tax issues and there's not a sufficient level of talent returned while keeping guys like Luke and Vlad (10+ million in the future combined) instead, that would suck.

Agreed. Not even Buss can spend without conscience, but we're so far over the cap that once that chip is gone, we'll never get it back. Keep or trade, Lamar represents probably the last opportunity we'll have to shape this team in a major way.

(Those contracts that Walton and Radmakesmewanttosmashhisfaceinovic got are looking worse and worse by the day.)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#74 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:55 pm

people overrate the type of salary lamar odom is going to demand. in the prime of his career, where the heat had to overpay so that clippers wouldn't match brand and odom, he received a six yr deal at an average of about 10 million a season. his current salary is high because in addition to being the last yr of a long escalating contract, he received a 15% trade kicker when he was traded for shaq. next off season? he'll be entering the 09-10 at 30 years of age. is he going to even demand a similar 10 mil per season without the benefit of 1. the prime yrs of his career ahead of him, 2. lots of "untapped" potential, 3. restricted free agency driving up the price? i doubt it. people need to stop with this derogatory "odom better take a pay cut or hit the road" crap when they don't even know what his asking price is.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#75 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:05 pm

I think dcash is right on the money. Lamar is what he is- he's a better athlete than basketball player that never really learned how to shoot. A few years ago, people looked at his positives and figured they could coach him up (remember the whole 'Riley sees Magic in him' thing?)

He's definitely worth more than MLE, but absolutely will not get a multiyear $10 miillion per deal from anyone. The Lakers should have the possibility of resigning him at a reasonable rate to all parties, which will allow them to retain their impossibly long and athletic frontline.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#76 » by Gerald3Wallace » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:40 pm

i say around 8-9 mil is fine

and i cant believe someone was saying odom should get 4 mil or hit the road...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers