ImageImageImageImageImage

Odom's Future

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LAKERLAW
Junior
And1: 3

Odom's Future 

Post#1 » by LAKERLAW » Sun Jun 8, 2008 9:46 am

I am sure everyone knows Lamar's contract is up at the next of next season.
This is a massive deal, not only because Lamar has become an integral part of this teams and has shined in the playoffs but, his contract is upwards of $15 million. The Lakers are currently over the cap and even when Lamar's contract comes off the books, if he is not resigned, they will still remain over the cap. This is crucial because it means we will not be able to sign a big name player via free agency. Any major acquisition must be done through a trade, and we fans know how that can go.

We are thus left with two options:

Re-Sign or Trade. If we resign, then the issue is dead. However, if a deal cannot get done, the lakers will have no choice but to trade in order to land another difference maker.

It seams to make a lot of sense that LO may end up back in miami, and here is why:

Reasons for Mia:
Riley loves him as a player and person. While Riley was "wired" during the Mia Laker game, he embraced lamar during shoot arounds and told lamar he loved him very much.

He understands the city and system. Yes, Ryles wont coach, but rest assured the coach he chooses will be very similar to his style.

He knows how to play with a super star player. D wade and lamar were very successful in their one year together.

He will be perfect for a rebuilding team

Lakers:
Marion is a phenomenal defensive player and offensive threat. He is the player the Laker franchise desired Lamar to be.

The caveat in all this is Miami must sign and trade Marion because is also a free agent at the end of next season. The Lakers will have to demand he resign first.

This is not a proposal but more of a discussion on Lamars situation in regards to the cap.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#2 » by tkb » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:58 am

Buss will commit to keeping the team together if we win this season I'm pretty sure.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:39 pm

what date is the extension deadline date?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,674

Post#4 » by dockingsched » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:04 pm

already conceding the title to boston eh?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
CDB
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by CDB » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:14 pm

I want Lamar to stay, espically the way he have been playing since Pau came. He bacame more confident because he wasnt that 2nd option to Kobe. That is some big shoes to fill. That is why I belive Buss and Mitch should do everything to keep him on the team as long as possible.
Dont Get Kobeterized!
monk302
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by monk302 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:00 pm

Lamar has never really looked comfortable playing with Kobe.If you trade for Marion we'll still be over the cap if we resign him.Let's see what other players become available this summer.
Leonidas
Starter
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Leonidas » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:11 pm

Keep LO. I mean once Andrew comes back healthy that would help Lamar be that much more comfortable as maybe the 4th option in scoring. That would give our shooters alot more open looks.

Propz to Kno for the sig..
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#8 » by Dexmor » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:20 pm

What to do with Odom.

Best case scenerio is trade Radman and maybe Walton and don't resign Mihm and give Ronny 2 mill per and try and get Sasha as cheap as possible and use guys like Newble and basically be cheap to have the money to resign Odom and hope Odom gives us a little bit of a price break.
If he just tries to get the most money for his game we pretty much have no choice to let him go as much as I would want him to stay I just don't see Dr.Buss keeping him when they could possibly win without him.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#9 » by Gerald3Wallace » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:04 pm

Dexmor wrote:What to do with Odom.

Best case scenerio is trade Radman and maybe Walton and don't resign Mihm and give Ronny 2 mill per and try and get Sasha as cheap as possible and use guys like Newble and basically be cheap to have the money to resign Odom and hope Odom gives us a little bit of a price break.
If he just tries to get the most money for his game we pretty much have no choice to let him go as much as I would want him to stay I just don't see Dr.Buss keeping him when they could possibly win without him.

im one of the biggest lamar supporters here...and i gotta agree with this..

its simple...if lamar dont take a paycut, most likely he'll get traded...most teams will come begging for his contract anyways....i mean they wanted kwames...

but no doubt in my mind odom will take a paycut IF we win the ship...

"i want to retire a Laker" - Odom

lets just see how bad u want to remain a laker..
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#10 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:30 pm

wasn't there another Lamar for Marion thread about an hour ago?
Forum permissions