ImageImageImageImageImage

The Laker SF Hierarchy

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kreuk
Analyst
And1: 0

The Laker SF Hierarchy 

Post#1 » by Kreuk » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:40 pm

Regardless of what happens in this series, we have a serious glut at the small forward position. And what makes it worse is that most of our small forwards are one-trick pony's.

Radman can shoot (sometimes) and that's about it...

Odom can rebound (most of the time) and be a stellar play-maker (once in a while).

Ariza can defend a bit better than the others, but his only other consistent contribution is highlight dunk...

Luke Walton... well, I really don't know what he can do consistently well anymore. He has a good game once in a while, but consistently gets exposed on both the offensive and defensive end.

So my question is this... In what order do you guys rank the Laker SFs... I mean speaking out of necessity of course.

We're most likely going to have to move 1 or 2 this off-season. So who do you want to go and who do you want to stay?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Odom > Ariza > Walton > Radmanovic.

If you think Odom did better this year, after the Gasol trade, as a third option, wait till you see how good he performs as a fourth option. KEEP.

Ariza brings good energy and defensive shutdown capabilities. KEEP.

Walton brings knowledge of the triangle and great BBIQ. Always runs the offense, good coming off the bench. KEEP.

Radmanovic can only shoot threes. We have Sasha, Farmar, and Fisher for that. We don't need him. GONE.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Dexmor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:51 pm

Odom comes first, Sasha should come second.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#4 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 am

Sasha is not a SF. Dont pretend like he could be.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
idf469
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by idf469 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:37 am

Well Odom is our best talent at that position, he brings us versatility and injury insurance (ironic since he gets injured every year lol) but he can play SF at times and also PF in case either Pau, Bynum, or Ronnie go down.

Ariza mainly because of his defense since he can guard all the allstar Sg/Sf that are in the league, without having to put kobe through that.

Luke Walton i like him because he has the ability to lead the bench and control how they play, since he has high bball iq

Radman when hes hot he can be really good but lacks toughness, speed, agility, defense, etc etc etc etc etc

Since our team stacked i think we can trade Radman.

My favorite game closing lineup by the way is,

Fisher/Farmar (whoever is hot)
Sasha
Kobe
Lamar
Pau (Lamar would have to come out if Bynum is full strength)
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#6 » by LAL4Life » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 am

None of them are necessarily keepers. I think Ariza is the most likely to stay, and I'd like to see the Odom/Gasol/Bynum frontline before we decide on Lamar's future (I personally don't think it will work).
I think Luke should be priority #1 to get rid of, with Vlad being a close 2nd.

Ultimately, I think the perfect deal for us (though I doubt Houston does it) is LO and Luke for Battier, Scola and filler.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:35 am

LAL4Life wrote:

Ultimately, I think the perfect deal for us (though I doubt Houston does it) is LO and Luke for Battier, Scola and filler.

You ARE spoiled by the Gasol donation, aren't you? ;)
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#8 » by LLcoleJ » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:40 am

ray allen called ;)
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#9 » by Kobay » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 am

Stop getting euro soft and get some toughness. Get Posey if he opts out, artest, battier. Get some tough guys.
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Re: The Laker SF Hierarchy 

Post#10 » by magicbesteva » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:05 pm

THE LAKERS SHOULD TRADE LAMAR FOR A DRAFT PICK AND THEN GO AFTER ARTEST OR J. SMITH OR A. IGOUDALA OR M. ELLIS. THEN THEY WOULD BE READY FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP AND WOULD HAVE YOUNG TALENT FOR THE FUTURE
KobeFan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#11 » by KobeFan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 am

Can somebody explain the F***ing Battier fascination? Because he has a reputation for playing defense, and can make an open three pointer? Battier isn't in the same tier as LO. Yet, everybody speaks of him like he's the Lakers messiah. LO is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, who saves possessions, and leads easy transition baskets. He provides depth at the 3 & 4, compliments Kobe with his rebounding/ball handling/passing skills, and has escalated his efficiency since the acquisition of Gasol.

LOL @ Battier for Odom; are you guys smoking crack?

Lets trade Kobe Bryant for Jamal Crawford, Gasol for Haslem, and Bynum for Curry, while we're at it.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#12 » by Gerald3Wallace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:23 am

dont worry yall...odom IS our small forward
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#13 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:37 am

Gerald3Wallace wrote:dont worry yall...odom IS our small forward

What if tough defensive threes who can shoot are available via free agency? Do you sign one to play with Odom and Vujacic at the wing spot?
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#14 » by Dr Aki » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:10 am

if only lakers could roll walton's passing skills and vision with radman's size and shooting ability and ariza's defense and length
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#15 » by Gerald3Wallace » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 am

ALL HAIL wrote:

What if tough defensive threes who can shoot are available via free agency? Do you sign one to play with Odom and Vujacic at the wing spot?

odoms ability to play multiple positions, and sash's ability to play with multiple positions...i dont have a problem with a small forward pickup

what im tryin to say is, i want vlad rad gone
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#16 » by DubaLakers » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:22 am

KobeFan wrote:Can somebody explain the F***ing Battier fascination? Because he has a reputation for playing defense, and can make an open three pointer? Battier isn't in the same tier as LO. Yet, everybody speaks of him like he's the Lakers messiah. LO is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, who saves possessions, and leads easy transition baskets. He provides depth at the 3 & 4, compliments Kobe with his rebounding/ball handling/passing skills, and has escalated his efficiency since the acquisition of Gasol.

Lets trade Kobe Bryant for Jamal Crawford, Gasol for Haslem, and Bynum for Curry, while we're at it.

Yeah I don't understand the Battier deal either, he's a baller and a heady smart player that can hit threes and D up, but Lamar can be an offensive juggernaut at times, Battier is not an offensive threat beyond threes, he can't drive like Lamar, or pass, or dribble like Lamar. Lamar needs to work on a pet move or shoot a billion jumpers in the offseason...The guy I'd love to have is T Prince for Lamar.

Fisher, Kobe, Prince, Gasol, Bynum :nod:
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#17 » by Dr Aki » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 am

KobeFan wrote:Can somebody explain the F***ing Battier fascination? Because he has a reputation for playing defense, and can make an open three pointer? Battier isn't in the same tier as LO. Yet, everybody speaks of him like he's the Lakers messiah. LO is one of the most versatile players in the NBA, who saves possessions, and leads easy transition baskets. He provides depth at the 3 & 4, compliments Kobe with his rebounding/ball handling/passing skills, and has escalated his efficiency since the acquisition of Gasol.

battier is perfect for the lakers the same way gasol was perfect for the lakers

odom is the superior talent but lets be honest, what type of contribution do you want from the SF position when bynum returns?

1. defense to lock down opp premier swingmen to let kobe rest until the 4th Qtr (ariza)
2. 3pt shooting to space the defense (radman)
3. decent passing, unselfish black hole on offense (walton)

unless lamar all of a sudden develops a consistent jumpshot and becomes an outside threat over the summer, odom might not last the summer

unless PJ and co. start plays by having odom instead of kobe perform the dribble penetration, odom just might be relegated to utility 6th man
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,564

Post#18 » by hermes » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:

who did you have in mind
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#19 » by TylersLakers » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:38 pm

1) Odom - Keep (Unless good deal comes along. Prince/Battier/etc)
2) Ariza - Keep
3) Luke Walton - Gone
4) Radmanovic - Gone

If James Posey becomes a free agent, sign him. Throw the MLE at him. I've been screaming for him for years, and he's killing us right now.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#20 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Who do I have in mind? Well without any real intensive research as to what defensively tough minded 3 man who can shoot open jumpers will be free agents, the first two names that come to mind are Artest (who just might come here for the full MLE--possible but not probable) and Posey (who will defeinitely be available).

I'm sure there are others who fit this mold who could be had on the cheap (MLE or less).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers