ImageImageImageImageImage

The Obvious Difference Between the Lakers Winning and Losing

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

The Obvious Difference Between the Lakers Winning and Losing 

Post#1 » by lakerz12 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:04 am

I think it's pretty plain to see the difference between us dominating (first half) and getting dominating (second half).

Of course many other factors are influential (especially the increased intensity and effort in Boston's defense), however this factor determines our winning or losing in spite of all others:

Kobe shooting jumpshots vs. Kobe driving and scoring or distributing

Our entire offense and the general success of our team is centered around Kobe's performance.

When he is distributing the ball and facilitating his teammates (first half), we obviously dominate.

When he gets the ball in his hands and stands still and bricks jumpshots, we suck (3rd quarter).

Finally, at the end of the fourth he starts to drive again and what happens? He scores or passes for a score.

I think this point is very obvious and I'm very disappointed Kobe isn't smart enough to recognize his failure. He is settling, not being shutdown. Also, Phil needs to step up and tell Kobe to stop settling for the outside jumpers.

Sure the Celtics shutdown the triangle, but because of his brilliance slashing to the lane, Kobe can still rectify our offense if he attacks.

Do you guys agree or do you think other mistakes are more responsible for our success (1st half) vs. failure (2nd half)?
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#2 » by islander009 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:16 am

I do think he did settle for mainly jumpers in the second half, I think kobe realized that was an issue but it was too late. Kobe should be taking to the the rim every single time he is being played one on one. There is no way that pierce can really keep up with him nor allen. Dont get me wrong when Pierce played defense on Kobe he played him well on the jumpshot but not the plays to the hoop. Cmon big change next game we need to win that one to build the confidence lets push this series. LETS NOT LAY DOWN AND LET THEM RUN ALL OVER US.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#3 » by Gek » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:18 am

put this in the game thread

IBTL

And hunger was the difference
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#4 » by islander009 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:30 am

Hunger was the difference. We just didnt show it in the second half but the first half was all ours.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#5 » by GOBlazers » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:09 am

Bench play (or lack of) and Kobe's shot selection clearly were the difference in this game. Vujacic, made the game 3 win possible, but the bench players won't excel every game. And, as had been said Boston wanted it more and fought through the 24 point deficit to regain the momentum and they kept it.

To win game 5, all Lakers need to attack the rim and get to the line (unless wide open)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers