ImageImageImageImageImage

We can still win this series, I think we'll def win nex game

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#21 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:32 am

Man I am still not over last night. I am trying really hard to be positive but how? People are saying we just have to come out fired up. Ummm hello? Did you not watch game 4? 35-14 after the 1st quarter taking the biggest lead in NBA finals history after 1 quarter is not fired up enough? How are we going to duplicate a 35-14 performance? No chance in hell.

And by miracle we do lead 35-14 after the 1st quarter on Sunday guess what? The Celtics know they can comeback and win it.

There is really nothing that we do to that team that will scare them.
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#22 » by KB20 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:37 am

I was crushed after yesterday's game but I know what we are capable of doing and I will not lose hope until the Celtics win that 4th game.

GO LAKERS!!!
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by Texas Longhorns » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:46 am

I'm sorry, I think Boston will wrap it up at their arena on Sunday.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:46 am

KB20 wrote:I was crushed after yesterday's game but I know what we are capable of doing and I will not lose hope until the Celtics win that 4th game.

GO LAKERS!!!

I hear you man but I felt the exact same way in 2004 when we were down 3-1, I had the mentality of the Lakers will win in 7 until Detroit wins that 4th game. Lakers came out fired up and lead 14-7 and I thought we are heading back to LA 3-2 and little did I know Shaq picked up his 2nd foul and Detroit just ran us out of Mo Town.

The same thing they are saying about Boston is the same thing people said about Detroit. "Oh they can't close out because these guys never won a championship before."

It is all BS. It is much easier to get that 4th win than to win 3 in a row against a team that you have a 1-5 record against.
8'sReverse
Veteran
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#25 » by 8'sReverse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:47 am

It's one thing for fans to believe in a comeback, and believe me, even after this horrible loss in game 4, there are many that think there's a good chance we can make it to 7 and/or win it all... but it's a whole other thing for the players to believe it, which is what really counts.

In the end we are all fans of the Lakers, but if the Lakers are going to win it's going to be the Lakers winning not because we believe in them.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
aSizzLe
Junior
And1: 1

Post#26 » by aSizzLe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:54 am

lmao marik
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:54 am

8'sReverse wrote:
In the end we are all fans of the Lakers, but if the Lakers are going to win it's going to be the Lakers winning not because we believe in them.

Excellent post. This is exactly what I have been talking about. After a historic meltdown last night, our team is way too young and immature to be able to bounce back from that. They got their hearts broken so there is no way they will recover in a matter of 48-72 hrs.

It is like having your significant other seriously cheat on you are completely caught off guard by it. Do you seriously think you can recover in 72 hrs and date another person? Honestly unless you are cold blooded the answer is no. Kobe Bryant is probably the only person that is cold blooded but the other 11 guys on the team isn't.
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Verbal » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:27 am

Well Minhee, the Celtics do have veterans willing to give and take good advice.

They have a coach who's pretty much in a desperate situation and could use all the help he could get.

We can still make this series competitive, and that's what we should aim to do.

Give all that we have left to stay alive, because that's what we're doing.

Keeping this season alive.

How far the Lakers are willing to go is on them.

It's the coach's job to guide the players, but it's the players* who decide the game.

I'm a Laker fan, been a Laker fan for ten years or more, and I'd love to see the Lakers earn a title this year.

Whether win or lose, I'll still be a Lakers fan and will be pulling for my team to succeed.

This series is still winnable - I'd say 25% chance we win this series if we play the right way.

This next game is critical, and it's by no means a sure thing, but it's a game about pride and heart.

Most of the guys on the Lakers are on uncharted waters (NBA FINALS) and it's understandable if they fold.

But the Finals is also a place where champions are crowned, history is broken, haters put in their place.

There's no pressure on the Lakers now, just play your best and play as a team.

Go with what works for you and ride that momentum when it's there and seduce her back when she isn't. ;)

The Homer in me says Lakers in 7 (I know I could be wrong), and after a few drinks maybe we can all convince ourselves that.

Play smart - Die hard.

Winning basketball,
Armchair Verbal 101.

[*In most cases.]
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#29 » by eloper » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:56 am

DieselCeltic wrote:You do know you are 3-1 down right ? You do know that no team in the history of the NBA has made a comeback after being down 3-1 in the finals. Quit fooling yourself. Even if you win game 5, its 3-2. Theres two more games in Boston. You think you'll win 3 straight.. Dream on...

The Yankees are still celebrating their 2004 American League Championship.

(I haven't read through this thread, but I'll be shocked if this hasn't been mentioned yet, so apologies if I'm repeating a point that was already made)
CX44
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#30 » by CX44 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:34 am

Injuries may be catching up with Boston. If Rondo and Perkins can't go then that changes things. Not that they are great players for Boston but it forces them to start two reserves. I know the reserves have played well for Boston in this series but losing two starters may force Garnett, Pierce, and Allen to press a little more and force them to do things they normally would not do. Besides Garnett folds when things get tough. Lakers need to focus on game 5 and see what happens after that.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#31 » by Slava » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:36 am

Minhee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Excellent post. This is exactly what I have been talking about. After a historic meltdown last night, our team is way too young and immature to be able to bounce back from that. They got their hearts broken so there is no way they will recover in a matter of 48-72 hrs.

It is like having your significant other seriously cheat on you are completely caught off guard by it. Do you seriously think you can recover in 72 hrs and date another person? Honestly unless you are cold blooded the answer is no. Kobe Bryant is probably the only person that is cold blooded but the other 11 guys on the team isn't.

The advantage of youth is you take things personally after a point. These guys are a band of brothers and they'll show their heart and courage in the next game.

There's nothing more dangerous than a desperate and young team.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Slava » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:38 am

CX44 wrote:Injuries may be catching up with Boston. If Rondo and Perkins can't go then that changes things. Not that they are great players for Boston but it forces them to start two reserves. I know the reserves have played well for Boston in this series but losing two starters may force Garnett, Pierce, and Allen to press a little more and force them to do things they normally would not do. Besides Garnett folds when things get tough. Lakers need to focus on game 5 and see what happens after that.

Good point. Ray Allen has been playing 48 MPG the last couple of games. Do you think his skinny 31 year old frame can sustain that after a long season and playoffs? We need to push him and find his breaking point.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:01 am

j-far wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The advantage of youth is you take things personally after a point. These guys are a band of brothers and they'll show their heart and courage in the next game.

There's nothing more dangerous than a desperate and young team.

Not trying to sound like a bad guy but this is getting kind of ridiculous. I know we are trying to remain positive and all but nothing more dangerous than a desperate young team? Kind of like when Denver was down 3-0? Or what about when Orlando was down 3-1 to Detroit? Or was it when the Jazz were down 3-2 to us? How about when the young Hornets were up 3-2 and it was time to finish? All those young and dangerous have one thing in common and they are all sitting at home. Young teams usually are not ready for advertisity and honestly you have to give them their determination too man. They overcame the impossible on our home floor and I am still not over it. If we were that desperate and dangerous this series would be tied 2-2.

We may have Kobe who is cold blooded but a black mamba cannot strike when he doesn't smell blood. Right now it is KG's time, he has been waiting his whole entire life to be in this situation. KG has the most intensity in the game of basketball and you think he isn't motivated to finish this thing off? Right now it is the Celtics who smell blood and they are coming for the kill while our guys are just running for cover. It is just like the PA announcer for both clubs during the starting lineup. They have KG on the big screen yelling AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to get the crowd pumped. Have you heard our PA announcer? The guy is the the most monotone voice as he doesn't even sound excited to announce our own players to the crowd. They have every right to be pumped for their first title in 21 years while we are on the verge of losing our 2nd final apearence in 4 years.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:07 am

Good point. Ray Allen has been playing 48 MPG the last couple of games. Do you think his skinny 31 year old frame can sustain that after a long season and playoffs? We need to push him and find his breaking point.

Seriously, they thought Pierce was injured when he went down, then they thought Perkins was injured. What happened? Then they say Pierce and Perkins are too banged up to be effective what happen? Then Rondo goes down, they say with 3/5 of their starting lineup at 75% or worse the Celtics are in trouble. Now you are saying Ray Allen at 31 years old cannot help win 1 more game. Its one thing to be optimistic, it is another to be in complete denial to say that they cannot finish off a series when they are in complete control. This is the same team that won 66 games in the season, went 25-5 against the Western Conference, has beaten us 5 out of 6 times this year. Yet they are not going to win one more game against us? Come on, it is time to give credit where credit is due.

I understand that some of you refuses to die until it is over. Thats fine, but some people here are just using illogical reasoning to say that Boston are pretty much not gonna win the series. Statistics and History are on their side not to mention their play on the court as well.
8'sReverse
Veteran
Location: Southern California~ Watching the only LA NBA team, the Lakers!

Post#35 » by 8'sReverse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:07 am

It's not about the TOs or the refs or the odd coaching substitutions or the defenses, it's about doing what you do best for 48 minutes... it's what got the Lakers here so far and it has been keeping the Lakers close even through those mistakes... the Lakers win regardless of the negatives mentioned above if they do just that.

Consistancy is the name of the game now for the Lakers.
Charles Barkley wrote:"I've got TWO words for you... 'Chris Paul and Steve Nash, must see TV'!"
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Slava » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:11 am

Minhee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not trying to sound like a bad guy but this is getting kind of ridiculous. I know we are trying to remain positive and all but nothing more dangerous than a desperate young team? Kind of like when Denver was down 3-0? Or what about when Orlando was down 3-1 to Detroit? How about when the Hornets were up 3-2? Young teams usually are not ready for advertisity and honestly you have to give them their determination too man. They overcame the impossible on our home floor and I am still not over it. If we were that desperate and dangerous this series would be tied 2-2.

We may have Kobe who is cold blooded but a black mamba cannot strike when he doesn't smell blood. Right now it is KG's time, he has been waiting his whole entire life to be in this situation. KG has the most intensity in the game of basketball and you think he isn't motivated to finish this thing off? Right now it is the Celtics who smell blood and they are coming for the kill while our guys are just running for cover. It is just like the PA announcer for both clubs during the starting lineup. They have KG on the big screen yelling AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH to get the crowd pumped. Have you heard our PA announcer? The guy is the the most monotone voice as he doesn't even sound excited to announce our own players to the crowd. They have every right to be pumped for their first title in 21 years while we are on the verge of losing our 2nd final apearence in 4 years.

If KG could back up his talk and antics, he would have more than one ring by now. Lets not be fooled by appearances. KG talks smack and he acts tough but coming into this series, he would run away from taking a shot in the 4th quarter and you want this team to be scared of him? Please give me break.

I thought the fans were the ones most hurt by this but then I looked at Sasha and his reaciton on the bench. That kind of really shook me up and Iwas able to understand what was going through their minds then.

Make no mistake about it, we are desprate and we have dug a giant hole for ourselves but if I could ever imagine a team getting out of that hole, its this team and I have my reasons to be confident.

Sorry but its an attitude thing. To each his own. Sayonara.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Minhee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:13 am

If KG could back up his talk and antics, he would have more than one ring by now. Lets not be fooled by appearances. KG talks smack and he acts tough but coming into this series, he would run away from taking a shot in the 4th quarter and you want this team to be scared of him? Please give me break.

I thought the fans were the ones most hurt by this but then I looked at Sasha and his reaciton on the bench. That kind of really shook me up and Iwas able to understand what was going through their minds then.

Make no mistake about it, we are desprate and we have dug a giant hole for ourselves but if I could ever imagine a team getting out of that hole, its this team and I have my reasons to be confident.

Sorry but its an attitude thing. To each his own. Sayonara.

Too bad the attitude on this forum isn't the team that will be playing on Sunday. The fact remains that the Celtics outplayed us in just about all 6 games. I really find it hard to believe a young and inexperience team will all of a sudden get it together and win 3 straight against a team that holds a 1-5 record against.

It is up to them to prove the entire world wrong right now but I do not see it happening. Nothing in our play suggest to me that we are going to overcome this adversity. I really want to be wrong, you have no idea. If I had one wish it would be for the Lakers to prove the whole world wrong and people on this board can laugh at me for being negative and not having any faith as long as they pull it off. Too bad I think I have better odds in going to vegas to save for retirement.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#38 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:26 am

The one thing that gives you guys a chance is the injuries the Celtics have been building up. But fortunately (unfortunately from your standpoint) it seems like they aren't THAT big a deal.

Basically, your chance of 3 straight wins is IMO much worse than 1 in 8. It's more like 1/2 x 1/5 x 1/5 = 1/50 (where the 1/2 is for Game 5 at home).

It's not like we've seen the very best the Cs can do yet. Garnett has yet to play a whole game in the post -- and the admittedly rusty Tony Allen is in reserve if needed, and he's had some good success against Kobe and the Lakers in the past.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#39 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:08 am

Anything is possible.

The C's were down 24 points on the road in a Finals game. That also sounds insurmountable, doesn't it. But they came back and won.
The Lakers can come back and win this series.

Anything is possible.
Keep the faith, Lakers Nation.
Formerly lakerRD
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#40 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:14 am

For the Lakers to win, 2 words: Pao Gasol.

He has been HORRIBLE over the past 2 playoff series. 13.5 and 14 PPG. That's what the SA/Bos series averages are for Pao Gasol.

Never mind that he gives up the same or more against his opponents. Take Mehmet Okur who enjoyed a nice +4 PPG

Take Tim Duncan who enjoyed a +3 PPG average and his best playoff series since the PHX Dispatch in 5 games. (Averaged 24 in that one)

Kevin Garnett may as well be a C. He's averaging 3 more PPG then Gasol and is at right around his season's average.

Defensively, he's been horrid. Offensively, he's supposed to be the guy that makes sure teams like Boston can't trap and double Kobe.

Either he plays like he can, or he sits. That's what Phil should do.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers