ImageImageImageImageImage

How can the lakers stop the 3 ball?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

JazzItUp13
Veteran
And1: 1

How can the lakers stop the 3 ball? 

Post#1 » by JazzItUp13 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 pm

it seems like we are just getting destroyed by allen,james posey, eddie house, I mean it's ridiculous! what would be some ways we could at least limit the 3 pt looks? because the home run ball is going to blow the roof off the td banknorth centre so the lakers need to defend it better!
I got a question why they hating on me....
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Re: How can the lakers stop the 3 ball? 

Post#2 » by milesfides » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:34 am

Well, it's going to be tough, if they're looking to discourage post play or penetration. You pick your poison, and the Lakers are generally leaving shooters in order to help out inside. The Lakers would rather play the percentages, conceding 3-point shots rather than high percentage interior shots, which generally yield fouls as well.

There's a reason KG has had a fairly limited series offensively. It's largely due to the frequent double teams. There's no question this leaves shooters open, it's a risk, but it keeps Gasol out of foul trouble and prevents KG from getting guaranteed baskets when single-covered. When Kobe plays rover, it does give up a basket or two from Rondo, but is it worth it? Yes, because Rondo isn't the type of player who gains increasing confidence, he's not a high volume shooter, and more importantly, keeping the ball out of KG's hands prevents KG from getting into a rhythm and destroying our frontcourt.

On penetration, Paul Pierce is killing Radmanovic or Walton, and that sometimes causes other Lakers to help. Pierce had 8 assists yesterday kicking it out to shooters. That's not going to change until the Lakers can guard Pierce better individually.

You can't stop the 3-ball, you just want to contest. If an opponent is intent on shooting threes, you let him. That's not what's happening in this series though. Boston is hitting threes due to penetration and or post play, and in the defensive scramble, 3-point shooters are getting good looks on the kick out.

But here are some keys:

1. Guard Pierce with a healthy dose of Kobe to prevent the defense from collapsing
2. Have other players double KG (same reason as above), when Kobe is guarding Pierce
3. Players must rotate quickly and intelligently (or #2 won't have a chance). Also, close out but don't foul.
4. During the 4th quarter, they must recognize who the 3-point threats are. Stay on Posey and/or Allen. Force KG to come up with clutch baskets.
5. Mix it up. Can't defend the same way or else the offense will adjust. Make them hesitate, think twice.
6. Pressure the ball, shorten the shotclock. Takes longer to set up the offense, longer to set up plays, and increases the pressure on shooters.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#3 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:11 am

They did it very well for three quarters in game 4. Then they imploded and the Celtics exploded... Minus the implosion, they did it very well. I don't see why they couldn't do it for 48 minutes. They're dead if they don't. But this isn't predominantly about Xs and Os, in my opinion.

Game 6 will come down to mental toughness and nothing else, I think. They need to be more focused, more intense, more ferocious and more aggressive than the Celtics. They must do that for every second of the game. If they don't, they're dead.

They must refuse to lose. Every possession must be approached as if it was their last. Out-hustling the Celtics is a must. Do or die.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#4 » by RJM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:54 am

Excellent ideas guys and I really do hope we follow through on these objectives, but I think (aside from ball pressure) that the main thing we can do to suppress the three ball would have to be excellent (and damn near flawless) player rotation. I can't even begin to tell you how bad I cringe seeing James Posey camped out wide open from the corner behind that three point line. I saw it for two seasons in Miami, and I don't want to see that again this deep in the Playoffs.

Never again do I want to see this crap happen without a Laker down his throat. I think you know what I'm trying to say. Sit Vladimir! Like I said before; we will not win a championship with Radmanovic starting at the 3 for us. It just won't happen. My complete (and rather detailed I might add) offseason plan will come after we win the Title. 8-)
3-Pt_Shooter
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by 3-Pt_Shooter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Actually, basketball is a very simple game... :D The only way to stop good looks from the 3-pt line is to play straight up D.

When you have so many players (i.e. Pierce, Allen, Posey, and House) on the court at the same time that are just pure knock down perimeter shooters, you cannot help off of them. You MUST play chest-to-chest... and hope that the other guys do their job on defense.

I sugggest that the Lakers should try this defensive matchup to start Game 6...

6'6 Kobe on 6'1 Rondo
(Kobe can roam off of Rondo)
6'1 Derek on 6'5 Allen
(Derek is good enough to stay with Allen)
6-10 Lamar on 6'6 Pierce
(Lamar has the quickness and length to both Pierce)
6-10 Vlad on 6'11 Garnett
(Vlad has height even though KG doesn't look to post much)
7'0 Pau on 6-11 Brown, Perkins, Powe
(Pau's length would be enough to bother any of these guys)

7-0 Mihm can come in sparringly to play defense as well

GO LAKERS
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#6 » by tkb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I agree with E11. This game will get down to who wants it more. Every player must bust his butt every possession.

I'd like Phil to get in some players faces too. Like "anyone who blows a defensive assignment will be pulled immediately".
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#7 » by KB20 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:08 pm

3-Pt_Shooter wrote:Actually, basketball is a very simple game... :D The only way to stop good looks from the 3-pt line is to play straight up D.

When you have so many players (i.e. Pierce, Allen, Posey, and House) on the court at the same time that are just pure knock down perimeter shooters, you cannot help off of them. You MUST play chest-to-chest... and hope that the other guys do their job on defense.

I sugggest that the Lakers should try this defensive matchup to start Game 6...

6'6 Kobe on 6'1 Rondo
(Kobe can roam off of Rondo)
6'1 Derek on 6'5 Allen
(Derek is good enough to stay with Allen)
6-10 Lamar on 6'6 Pierce
(Lamar has the quickness and length to both Pierce)
6-10 Vlad on 6'11 Garnett
(Vlad has height even though KG doesn't look to post much)
7'0 Pau on 6-11 Brown, Perkins, Powe
(Pau's length would be enough to bother any of these guys)

7-0 Mihm can come in sparringly to play defense as well

GO LAKERS

There is no way we put Vlad on KG. If that were to ever happen, KG would camp out downlow and probably put up 40 on 60% shooting. We gotta take Vlad out of the rotation in order to win. Play either Ariza on Pierce or Sasha on Allen and Kobe on Pierce. Vlad is too big of a liability on defense. We have to force Pierce to shoot overtop the defense instead of driving and making plays. The Celtics have done this fairly well on Kobe and that's why they have outplayed us the majority of this series.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#8 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I want to see Pau defending KG and Odom defending Pierce in this game!!!

When Perkins comes back in game seven :D, I want to see Pau on Perkins, Odom on Pierce and Ariza on Garnett!!!
3-Pt_Shooter
Senior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by 3-Pt_Shooter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Yeah, despite his help on the offensive side, Vlad is a bit of a liability on defense... So, I am in favor of taking him out of the rotation. I don't care... put Pau or Mihm on Garnett!!!

However, I think its crucial that the Lakers keep Pierce out of his flow... They Lakers need to cut off the head of the snake 8-)

The Celtics have been going to PP a lot in this series, and he's come up big in most situations. All of that being said, I really want to see Lamar pick up Pierce.

GO LAKERS
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#10 » by hermes » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:07 pm

vlad on KG is not a good plan, and mihm probably won't see the court this game
JazzItUp13
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#11 » by JazzItUp13 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm

tkb wrote:I agree with E11. This game will get down to who wants it more. Every player must bust his butt every possession.

I'd like Phil to get in some players faces too. Like "anyone who blows a defensive assignment will be pulled immediately".

phil get up off the bench? wow that's asking for a lot from phil. He likes to just sit there and let things happen...if the lakers lose it will be because of phils rotation.
I got a question why they hating on me....

Return to Los Angeles Lakers