ImageImageImageImageImage

Dr. Buss + high salary/Odom target for trade all along

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Will Dr. Buss pay the huge future price tag? 

Post#21 » by Kilroy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 pm

The cold-hard fact is that this team needs more than just a healthy Bynum to beat a team like the Celtics..

Our offense gave us enough to beat them, we need help on D. So what does that mean to the team and what will Buss pay?

I don't know. But for me, I think it comes down to 2 things....

1. Can Odom gaurd Paul Pierce?
2. Can either Fish or Farmar have any success against either Ray Allen or Rondo?

These are very specific questions for a team that will only face those guys a couple of times during the season, but I think if Odom can gaurd Pierce, he can gaurd any SF in the league, and the combo of RA and Rondo is an example of our biggest weakness at the 1or 2.

We also have a problem with our options for backing up Bynum. We really need a true Center that we can throw in for 10-15 Min a game that can still hold down the fort. I think someone like Mourning would be Ideal, if maybe a bit far-fetched.

So here's what I think Buss does...
Odom is traded, preferably for a guy like Artest or AK or Batier... Offensive abilities aren't that important to us with Bynum, Gasol, and Kobe all on the floor. We need a guy who can produce the occasional offensive burst but limit his man (some of the best players in the league play SF) to nothing-to-average stats. The catch will be that I think Buss will be looking to cut costs here. I think Ariza might be able to develop into our ideal SF so maybe all we need is a solid Defensive back-up and some salary relief.

Radman is traded for expiring(s)... Someone has to want a shooter... Maybe in the East.

Walton stays and comes off the bench for the 3.

I don't think Bynum will be offered the Max by us... At least not at first. I think the knee thing will make a lot of teams leery about a big contract for him. Especially since the cause of the injury lingering is still a mystery. Maybe something creative will be done with the numbers but I think he'll be signed for something a little less than max.

Turiaf stays to back-up Gasol, and gets payed accordingly. If someone wants to pay him starter money, he goes. I don't think that will happen though. He'd pretty much be the perfect back-up for Gasol.

Sasha stays only if he accepts a reasonable contract. His inconsistancy, D and softness at his position will keep people from backing the truck up for him, but if he gets some nutty offers, he can go. We just need a back-up for Kobe at this point. Maybe some youth with a little more natural talent.

I think Farmar might be traded. I think we need a little more toughness and size at this position. I like him and maybe with Bynum back, Gasol moving to PF, and either Odom or someone else playing SF, Kobe can take a little of the heat off him, but I just don't think he fits that well.

Some of the major question marks are:
Can either Mihm or Mbenga actually earn a spot as a back-up for Bynum?
Will Bynum and Gasol actually be on the court at the same time?
Can Ariza develop enough in the off-season to earn starting minutes at the 3?

Etc...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#22 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:Come on... ownership paid posey below market value.

Debatable, even though they clearly paid him less than his value.

Phil_2.0 wrote: It was not a commitment against the tax.

Factually incorrect, as anybody who isn't too lazy to check www.hoopshype.com/salaries knows.

Phil_2.0 wrote: The collective ownership of the Lakers could buy Cuban 3 times over.

I'll take your word for that, but it's relevance is low. Cuban didn't lose a lot of net worth between the time he was willing to pay huge bucks and the time he got more thrifty, just as Buss presumably wasn't hurting at the time he traded Shaq.

Anyhow, my point was not to speculate on WHETHER Buss would pay up, but merely to suggest that the Lakers are scrooed if he won't, but in good shape if he does.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#23 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Debatable, even though they clearly paid him less than his value to the team.

Phil_2.0 wrote: It was not a commitment against the tax.

Factually incorrect, as can easily be checked at http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.

Phil_2.0 wrote: The collective ownership of the Lakers could buy Cuban 3 times over.

I'll take your word for that, but its relevance is low. Cuban didn't lose a lot of net worth between the time he was willing to pay huge bucks and the time he got more thrifty, just as Buss presumably wasn't hurting at the time he traded Shaq.

Anyhow, my point was not to speculate on WHETHER Buss would pay up, but merely to suggest that the Lakers are scrooed if he won't, but in good shape if he does.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#24 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:20 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:

Debatable, even though they clearly paid him less than his value to the team.
debateable? Clutch player on the Heats championship run who took nearly a 50% paycut and his production has not dropped off? Its safe to say he is not getting paid his market value.

Factually incorrect, as can easily be checked at http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.

Fact, absorbing a 3.5 million dollar a year salary is a) not a big risk b) not the price he would have accepted from MIA.

I'll take your word for that, but its relevance is low. Cuban didn't lose a lot of net worth between the time he was willing to pay huge bucks and the time he got more thrifty, just as Buss presumably wasn't hurting at the time he traded Shaq.

I didnt bring up Cuban you did.

This is great. We have mentioned in this thread and in others and Buss has said he isnt concerned about Money he wants rings. We have also provided evidence that he has a business partner ( 35%) worth billions and he ALSO owns the Staples center. They also traded for Gasol this year with the understanding that a championship wasnt likely this year.. and all of a sudden it is presumed that the Lakers are screwed? LOL.

Let me quote the same Forbes list in regards to the Chicago Bulls.

The skinny
Not only have the Chicago Bulls survived the departure of Michael Jordan, but they have thrived since the superstar retired (financially at least). The Bulls have been the NBA's most profitable team this decade thanks to a huge fan base and low payrolls. The team has averaged $46 million in operating profits the past eight seasons versus a league average of $7 million. Only the Lakers have been in the same stratosphere when it comes to profits. The Bulls have consistently drawn more than 20,000 fans a game to the United Center, and led the league in attendance last season for the first time since 1999-2000. Owner Jerry Reinsdorf will have to open up his checkbook to keep his young stars, like Ben Gordon and Luol Deng, who are due big raises.

Yes, the Lakers are strapped for cash....
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#25 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:financial loss?

what im trying to say is:

if the lakers are currently earning 32mil for 2008, BEFORE RESIGNING SASHA AND RONNY for 2008/09 onwards

whats going to happen once sasha, ronny, bynum, ariza (and maybe mihm?) in 2009/10, farmar in 2010/2011 are re-signed? let alone extending lamar

add to this, finding veteran help with the MLE

the luxury tax will surely run us into the red if all other factors stayed the same

so do you still think Dr. Buss will run the franchise at a financial loss?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#26 » by dockingsched » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:12 pm

even more evidence that dr. buss simply won't pay that much money.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... 145.column

However, from the day they made the trade, the Lakers never thought they would end up paying that much, suggesting they were already thinking of moving Odom.

Indeed, Odom was in their package for Gasol until Memphis owner Michael Heisley took him out, asking for lesser players who afforded more cap relief. Odom then surprised everyone, meshing smoothly with Gasol to give the Lakers twin towers who were wizards with the ball and, according to San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich, the NBA's best passing team.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#27 » by hermes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Akiho wrote:

if the lakers are currently earning 32mil for 2008, BEFORE RESIGNING SASHA AND RONNY for 2008/09 onwards

whats going to happen once sasha, ronny, bynum, ariza (and maybe mihm?) in 2009/10, farmar in 2010/2011 are re-signed? let alone extending lamar

the luxury tax will surely run us into the red if all other factors stayed the same

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz ... 20250.html

170 million in revenues last year
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Re: Dr. Buss + high salary/Odom target for trade all along 

Post#28 » by DowJones » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 pm

That is just revenue though. We all know that revenue doesn't take into account the expenses. The profit or net income is what the $32million is about.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#29 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:51 pm

dcash4 wrote:even more evidence that dr. buss simply won't pay that much money.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... 145.column

However, from the day they made the trade, the Lakers never thought they would end up paying that much, suggesting they were already thinking of moving Odom.

Indeed, Odom was in their package for Gasol until Memphis owner Michael Heisley took him out, asking for lesser players who afforded more cap relief. Odom then surprised everyone, meshing smoothly with Gasol to give the Lakers twin towers who were wizards with the ball and, according to San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich, the NBA's best passing team.

But even though that statement, from a reporter, directly mentions money, it doesn't say specifically what the Lakers wanted to move Odom for -- talent or financial relief.

I have no idea what the financial limits of Buss and the ownership group are. But the hand writing is clearly on the wall -- we just got our ass handed to us in the Finals, and the only way to get better is to take on more, not less. Considering how far over the cap we are, Odom's contract represents the last chance the Lakers will have to make substantial improvement. I don't see any way we win the title unless we take advantage of it.

If they don't, ownership will have prioritized money over winning, and that will be a huge, huge disappointment.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#30 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:21 pm

hermes wrote:
Akiho wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz ... 20250.html

170 million in revenues last year

i suggest you look up the definitions between revenue and operating income
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Re: Dr. Buss + high salary/Odom target for trade all along 

Post#31 » by milesfides » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Buss does make a ton of money. I myself has cited the Forbes stats before. But even if Buss can afford it, can we presume he'll forgo all or a big chunk of his profits? I think it's a heavy presumption to look at the numbers and say, oh it works, the math works, let's do it!

Owners are businessmen with many other investments. Paul Allen and Mark Cuban are billionaires. Indeed, they have allowed high payrolls and they have paid the luxury tax - but only to a certain limit, and even they have made tax-saving moves. Just because they have a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean they have no spending limits when it comes to their NBA team.

And there's always Buss's particular case, Buss's history with the luxury tax. Buss has always been a fairly judicious spender, I've listed examples before.

I won't argue that I know what Buss is going to do. I think it would be out of character, however, for Buss to go all out and extend everybody to put a team on the floor that would cost him close to 100 million a year, and growing. Some people (and some fans) will be unhappy, no doubt.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19

Return to Los Angeles Lakers