ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum 2nd best on the Lakers?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Re: Bynum 2nd best on the Lakers? 

Post#21 » by microfib4thewin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Bynum also played well before Dec, but was inconsistent. The reason why Bynum's performance impressed me is he got those numbers while playing for only 29 minutes. If he can enhance his endurance and continue his progress he could develop into the #2 guy.
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#22 » by islander009 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:35 pm

at this point and only seeing half a season by bynum and him having a knee injury i dont consider him 2nd best. but doesnt mean he wont be, with the time to gel with gasol and the rest of the lakers. at this point Gasol is the 2nd best and still has room to grow because of the fact that for the last couple years he hasnt played his position.
Kweli
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Kweli » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 am

AriesMar27 wrote:just like before game 1 of the finals when analysts had the lakers as favorites to win it all.... or how they thought that the celtics had a weak bench...

bynum only had 5 games last season where he scored over 20 points... he had a nice little stretch of good games in mid december but thats about it. his numbers werent any better than biedrins at the time of his injury... and not even close to being as good as al jeffersons, though most laker fans would swear on their mothers grave that bynum was better than jefferson.

bynum isnt the next shaq or kareem, not even close.... gasol is a far superior player with skills that bynum could only dream of....

Not as close as good as Jefferson? Jefferson played 36mpg and shot 50% and only averaged 1 more rpg than Bynum who played 8mpg less than Al did while shooting 64%. Jefferson scored 8ppg more than Bynum, but that was as the first option on his team.

Plus we all know how Jefferson did on the defensive end while Bynum did a good job of anchoring our defense from the low post while defense was the Lakers biggest weakness. Why did you even bring Jefferson into this discussion? I would pick Bynum for the Lakers 10 times out of 10 over Jefferson.

You are REALLY underrating Bynum. He is very skilled and patient on the offensive end with a nice post up game, and he showed touch around the rim with his little hook shot, made nice passes and surprisingly was smart on the offensive end only having 1.49 TOs per game as a 20 year old. Plus he is physically tough on the offensive end, something that Gasol clearly lacks and the Lakers need.

Its tough to say who is better because of their different styles of play, but you are blatantly underrating Bynum. I'm glad we have both Bynum and Gasol, but if I had to pick one I would pick Bynum.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,299

Post#24 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:14 am

AriesMar27 wrote:bynum isnt the next shaq or kareem, not even close.... gasol is a far superior player with skills that bynum could only dream of....

choke on your lies!!!!

underrate his at your own peril
KObe Bryant
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#25 » by KObe Bryant » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:28 pm

Bynum is just the 4th Best guys. But i think one day, he'll be better than Kobe. I
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,299

Post#26 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 pm

before he injured himself

he was definately better than lamar
AriesMar27
Freshman

Post#27 » by AriesMar27 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:41 pm

odom is a triple double waiting to happen... bynum cant carry a team offensively like odom and gasol can...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#28 » by dockingsched » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:58 pm

AriesMar27 wrote:odom is a triple double waiting to happen... bynum cant carry a team offensively like odom and gasol can...

is that you b-scott?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#29 » by Erik Eleven » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:59 pm

AriesMar27 wrote:odom is a triple double waiting to happen... bynum cant carry a team offensively like odom and gasol can...

We're all still waiting. Losing patience here after 4 years...

Like someone said, Bynum is our most reliable offensive low-post player. Post him up and run the inside-outside-inside game for some high percentage looks. After a few possessions of that, the game is being played at Lakers' pace, we're in control. Bynum and Kobe is an incredible big-two to have. Gasol could be replaced by Brand etc, Odom could be replaced by a few different players. The core of this team's offense and defense is Bynum and Kobe.

So, yes. Bynum is indeed our second best player. See sig.
BitonKOBE
Banned User

Post#30 » by BitonKOBE » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 am

i dont think the lakers go to last season's finals w bynum and no gasol. maybe but unlikely.

either way cant wait for next season.
Sroek
Sophomore

Post#31 » by Sroek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 am

AriesMar27 wrote:just like before game 1 of the finals when analysts had the lakers as favorites to win it all.... or how they thought that the celtics had a weak bench...

bynum only had 5 games last season where he scored over 20 points... he had a nice little stretch of good games in mid december but thats about it. his numbers werent any better than biedrins at the time of his injury... and not even close to being as good as al jeffersons, though most laker fans would swear on their mothers grave that bynum was better than jefferson.

bynum isnt the next shaq or kareem, not even close.... gasol is a far superior player with skills that bynum could only dream of....

You're going to be shocked once you realize Bynum isn't the kind of player you think he is.

How many Laker games did you watch this season? Be truthful.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#32 » by Erik Eleven » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm

In the month of january, I believe he put up 17 and 13 in limited minutes. He was just starting to get into a groove. Bynum is a beast. There is no end to how good he could become.
AriesMar27
Freshman

Post#33 » by AriesMar27 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm

a lot.... i live in los angeles and all of my room mates are laker fans... im not saying he wont become a good player but he isnt on the same level as the top tier bigmen.... having 1 or 2 good games against a good bigman doesnt make you a good bigman... thats like saying sasha is gonna be a star because he had 1 good game in the finals.... we all know that he is a scrub.... bynum will be a pretty good starting center but he is not a future hall of famer....

lets be realistic here, fans always overvalue their teams players.... he will learn his role and play it the best that he can, but he is no ones savior...
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#34 » by microfib4thewin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Lol. If you want to judge Sasha by his career, he is a scrub. If you judge him by this year, he's been exceptional. To say he's awful this year means you haven't watched enough games. Troll harder plz.
Sroek
Sophomore

Post#35 » by Sroek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm

AriesMar27 wrote:a lot.... i live in los angeles and all of my room mates are laker fans... im not saying he wont become a good player but he isnt on the same level as the top tier bigmen.... having 1 or 2 good games against a good bigman doesnt make you a good bigman... thats like saying sasha is gonna be a star because he had 1 good game in the finals.... we all know that he is a scrub.... bynum will be a pretty good starting center but he is not a future hall of famer....

lets be realistic here, fans always overvalue their teams players.... he will learn his role and play it the best that he can, but he is no ones savior...

How is Sasha a scrub when he's more valuable to the Lakers than Walton, Turiaf, Radman and Farmar?

He didn't just have one good game in the finals, he's been stepped up all year. I remember having a few conversations with my neighbors and they all thought Vujacic sucked and should be traded until they saw game 3 of the finals, when I've been trying to tell them that's what he's been doing all along.

I also don't understand why you think Bynum will just be a mediocre center when he was drafted out of high school at the age of 17, became the youngest player to ever play in the NBA, has been Kareem Abdul Jabbar's protege ever since and was having a breakthrough season on his way to winning the MIP award before he went down in January. He's strong, athletic, graceful, has excellent footwork and fundamentals, a multifaceted post-up game, great hands, aggressive on the boards, vicious on the attack, ridiculous wingspan and is only 20 years old.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#36 » by NBAWestFan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 am

semi-sentient wrote:1. Kobe
2. Gasol
3a. Bynum
3b. Odom

I think something like this.

Gasol and Odom that are vets. All 3 are different types of players.
Bynum I believe on a daily basis is behind both Odom and Gasol.
But the Potential he has defensively makes him more valuable than Odom and at least to more valuable than Gasol Potentially.

He will not be a great offensive player. But that is not what the Lakers need out of him.
He just has to fit in the system so that they complement each other.

He is still very raw with Robert Parish type of potential
Sroek
Sophomore

Post#37 » by Sroek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 am

NBAWestFan wrote:Bynum I believe on a daily basis is behind both Odom and Gasol.

Seriously?

If somebody asked you to construct the starting line-up for the Lakers in order by players, you would choose Gasol and Odom before Bynum?

LMFAO.

NBAWestFan wrote:He will not be a great offensive player.

You're right, his low-post repertoire, footwork, height, soft touch, ability to hit free throws, 7'3 foot wingspan and the fact that he trains with Kareem are all useless tools for an effective offense.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#38 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 am

Sroek wrote:
NBAWestFan wrote:Bynum I believe on a daily basis is behind both Odom and Gasol.

Seriously?

If somebody asked you to construct the starting line-up for the Lakers in order by players, you would choose Gasol and Odom before Bynum?

LMFAO.

You have to understand that not everyone here is ready to crown Bynum king based on what he did in the span of a few weeks. He still has plenty to prove, and when he gets a full season underneath him and contributing consistently then this debate becomes more interesting in that it's not just speculation. It's easy to use "potential" as an argument, but there are too many unknowns surrounding him. Is Bynum going to stay healthy enough to make a huge impact? Will he keep it going in the playoffs, being that he's very inexperienced and hasn't really gone up against that level of competition for an extended series?

Seriously, there are lots of things that need to be answered regarding Bynum outside of just his potential and what he did for a few weeks.

I initially had Odom and Bynum at 3a/3b simply because Bynum has not yet had the chance to prove himself throughout the season or in the playoffs. I'm VERY confident that next year he will be my clear cut #3 choice, but him going above Gasol is quite a stretch. You can't argue against what this team has done since Gasol has arrived. You simply can't.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#39 » by Kilroy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:33 am

Bynum is the key to us getting where we want to be...

Kobe, Gasol, and Odom couldn't do it. I'm not sure if Kobe, Bynum, and Odom could have done it, but judging by the games they played against Boston, I'd have to say no.

But that's the thing about Basketball... Great teams win Championships not great players. So it doesn't matter who the best player is. Or who's second... Nobody cares on a great team... Least of all the players...
Kakish
Sophomore

Post#40 » by Kakish » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 am

2nd best 7'0 footer, yes.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers