Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Sroek
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: Bynum 2nd best on the Lakers? 

Post#41 » by Sroek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:57 am

semi-sentient wrote:
Sroek wrote:
NBAWestFan wrote:Bynum I believe on a daily basis is behind both Odom and Gasol.

Seriously?

If somebody asked you to construct the starting line-up for the Lakers in order by players, you would choose Gasol and Odom before Bynum?

LMFAO.

You have to understand that not everyone here is ready to crown Bynum king based on what he did in the span of a few weeks. He still has plenty to prove, and when he gets a full season underneath him and contributing consistently then this debate becomes more interesting in that it's not just speculation. It's easy to use "potential" as an argument, but there are too many unknowns surrounding him. Is Bynum going to stay healthy enough to make a huge impact? Will he keep it going in the playoffs, being that he's very inexperienced and hasn't really gone up against that level of competition for an extended series?

Seriously, there are lots of things that need to be answered regarding Bynum outside of just his potential and what he did for a few weeks.

I initially had Odom and Bynum at 3a/3b simply because Bynum has not yet had the chance to prove himself throughout the season or in the playoffs. I'm VERY confident that next year he will be my clear cut #3 choice, but him going above Gasol is quite a stretch. You can't argue against what this team has done since Gasol has arrived. You simply can't.

Look at the win percentage of the Lakers when Bynum was getting major playtime in December and January, it's about the same as or better than when Gasol arrived.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#42 » by NBAWestFan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 am

Odom not has good as Gasol or Odom on a daily basis.
That quote is taken out of context of the 2nd sentence.
What I said is he has the potential to be as valuable but now I believe he is not.
The guy is still raw.

Gasol is a Vet and so is Odom. They make better decisions and are much better offensively.
Odom does make bad decisions and plays all around the court. Bynum is a inside the paint player.
A completely different player.

Gasol plays inside the paint but is soft. He has a great touch.

However, to win at a championship caliber you need an inside defensive presence that rebounds and block shots. That is what Bynum brings that the two do not. They do rebound but not with the dominance a guy 7' 1 and long arms can bring. Gasol is long but cannot block out and use his body the way Bynum will be able to.

Bynum has show flashes of how good he could be but is again raw. He is already a top 10 center because the league is not that great. bigmen our claims to be true PF's instead.

He commits several fouls and got schooled by the Boston bigs. This what I mean by raw. he has a long ways to go. Perkings dominated him. KG, Perkins, Pierce is still gonna produce more that Bynum, Gasol & Odom. They will have their moments but it is much more even as this line up that what the Lakers put up in the Finals. KG and Pierce are solid allstars. Gasol is a star, Bynum will be an Allstar because of his defense and rebounds, Odom will be a star but not really allstar on this squad.

Bynum needs so much more time under his belt is my bottom line. I think he will be a Robert Parish type. Robert Parish was a great contributor but never was a KG, Kareem, Duncan, Hakeem or Shaq.
If anything he has more of a chance to play like Shaq but lacks the body weight.
BitonKOBE
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by BitonKOBE » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Sroek wrote:
semi-sentient wrote:
Look at the win percentage of the Lakers when Bynum was getting major playtime in December and January, it's about the same as or better than when Gasol arrived.

the last 10 games before bynum went down they were 9-1, but over the stretch yer talking about it was more like 15-5.

as i said earlier, the lakers won almost 90% of their games when pau played substantial minutes. and they made it to the finals.

kind of a big deal.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers