dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,649

A taste of the exit interviews 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:14 am

A taste of the exit interviews

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblo ... f-the.html

Ronny Turiaf: He also seemed much more confident about his desire to return than the Lakers resigning him...."I think every team in the NBA needs a guy that can just be counted on when people get injured, so if the Lakers wanted me to keep doing that job for the next 3-4 years, I wouldn't mind doing it. I could sacrifice myself for the greater of the team."

Trevor Ariza: Ariza entered the room grinning, and why not, since the powers that be apparently didn't have much bad news for him... Ariza said he plans on being here next year (i.e., exercising his player option and staying put...)

Luke Walton: Walton made no bones about this season being up and down for him...he was also willing to sacrifice minutes and stats for the better of the team, a mentality that he thinks is shared among his teammates. "That's when you know you've got something special."

Vlad Radmanovic: Radmanovic wouldn't share the specifics of what was discussed between them, but mentioned how he'd like to become a more consistent player (a goal he admitted has eluded him his entire career)...
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: A taste of the exit interviews 

Post#2 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 am

Sasha Vujacic

The sharp-shooting guard had a major impact off the bench for the Lakers this season. His NBA Finals will be remembered for a 20-point effort off the bench in Game 3, but also by Ray Allen blowing by him for a crucial layup in Game 4.
"I'm one of those guys that I hate to lose," Vujacic said. "I'm not going to hide it.
"We did a lot of positive things, but like I said after the game, it's painful and it's not going to be forgotten."
Whether it's remembered on this team or another is still to be determined. Vujacic is a restricted free agent this off-season.
"I know I'm going to be next year with a team that wants and needs me the most," he said. "Who it's going to be, I'm not sure right now."
But he also stated that he has a heavy interest in remaining a Laker.
"We are a great team, we have great chemistry; who wouldn't want to keep that together?" he said.

Jordan Farmar

The second-year point guard had the keys to the team's second unit, but also experienced an erratic postseason.
At UCLA, he was on the losing end of a championship as well.
"I felt this feeling before and it was really similar, I think we'll be all right though," he said.
Farmar said he will work on his shooting and strength over the summer.
"I feel like I have a lot more to offer," he said.

Chris Mihm
The backup center missed most of the season and played only briefly in the Finals.
He said he is looking forward to a short summer and, finally, a healthy season.
"I was finally able to start training in the weight room to get some pop in my legs that I hadn't had in a while," he said.
Mihm can opt out of his contract, but said he will not use it and will instead become a free agent after next season.
He sees himself contributing next season to the Lakers' frontcourt rotation.
"That's exciting for me," Mihm said. "I think I'll mesh in well.... I think we could have a devastating rotation of bigs next year; not falling off at any point of the rotation."

Luke Walton

The small forward saw his numbers dip this season, played an excellent first-round series against the Denver Nuggets, but couldn't gain any traction again for the rest of the playoffs.
Walton said it was tough and sometimes frustrating to see his minutes fluctuate, but the end result was worth it.
"Obviously, numbers-wise it wasn't as nice as I would like it to be, but it's a team game and there's a lot that goes in with that," he said.
Walton said in his exit meeting with Lakers Coach Phil Jackson and General Manager Mitch Kupchak, they discussed focusing on team defense heading into next season.

Ronny Turiaf

The forward will be a restricted free agent this summer and faces a possible logjam in the frontcourt with the return of Bynum next season.
Still, he said he is not worried about his pending free agency and stated his preference for returning to the Lakers.
He said that he can fill a tough-man presence and slide easily into the rotation should there be another injury.
"Last time I checked, I was the only Laker to be ejected from a game," he said, referring to the second round of the playoffs when he was ejected for tossing Utah's Ronnie Price to the ground.

Trevor Ariza

He missed a large chunk of the season with a broken right foot before finally seeing some select minutes in the NBA Finals.
Ariza has an opt-out clause in his contract, but said he will return to the Lakers, calling it a dream to play in the city where he grew up.
"They told me this is a good place for me, that I fit in really well," Ariza said.
Ariza said he experienced no pain in his foot during the playoffs, but has an MRI scheduled Monday as a precaution to see how it reacted to playing time.
This summer, he said he will focus on handling the ball and shooting and trying to add 10 pounds.
Next season, he will change jersey numbers from No. 3 to No. 1.
Forum permissions