ImageImageImageImageImage

can someone explain the pg and his role in the triangle o

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

daboywonder2002
Junior
And1: 0

can someone explain the pg and his role in the triangle o 

Post#1 » by daboywonder2002 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:05 pm

i went back and looked at fish and farmars assist totals. only 2.9 and 2.7. but then i went further back and looked at the bulls and scottie pippen was the assist leader even though he was a small forward. seems like lamar was supposed to play that role. now fast forward to the three peat lakers, how did they get their ball movement. mainly thru shaq passing out of double teams. and from kobe bryant penetrating at will. fisher really didnt get assists like that. so what does phil want out of his point guard? other than play d and hit an open jumper.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: can someone explain the pg and his role in the triangle o 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I think that's pretty much it beyond setting up the Tri and adjusting it to the Defensive looks we get... When Bynum comes back, getting him the ball in the post will be a key skill-set too...

Fish has been effective because he has good court vision and can adjust the way the Triangle is set up based on what he sees on the court. He also has Kobe's respect so when he makes a play call, Kobe goes with it.

Those assets are key.

I think Phil would like to get some length, quickness, and slashing ability here too. With our current roster, being able to penetrate seems to get the offense flowing better.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: can someone explain the pg and his role in the triangle o 

Post#3 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 am

what you have to remeber is that the Phils triangle offense is not a traditional triangle offense.
in the basic version the pg is nothing more than a 3 point shooter that can pass and ocationally post. that is why the pg does not get many assists.

phil adjusts the offense to personel. the Shaq version is different than the Bulls. the Bulls is different than what we do now.

if we were to run a more traditional triangle the point forward would act as a pg. he would bring the ball up and set the tri in motion. that would be Lamar. Kobe would play the wing at the 3 and Fish would be the spot up shooter. that would leave Pau at center in the post in the strong side and the other guard at the corner in the weak side. then everybody would react to the defense from that point on, but that is not what we do now because Lamar is not a good playmaker. so Fish or Kobe bring up the ball.
Forum permissions