ImageImageImageImageImage

RJ to L.A.? NJ newspaner article

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

RJ to L.A.? NJ newspaner article 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:52 pm

It was about a year ago that Rod Thorn dialed Mitch Kupchak and floated Richard Jefferson-for-Lamar Odom. The conversation, we're told, didn't last long. Not interested, Mitch said. Besides, I'm a little busy right now, trying to dodge the molotov cocktails Kobe keeps tossing through my office window.

Care to bet the Nets try again?

And want to bet they stay on the phone a little bit longer?

We said a few months ago that the Lakers are going to find out one thing about their team, with the postseason pending -- whether a frontline of 7-1, 7-0 and 6-10 is the matchup nightmare that it appears to be on paper; or whether they really need another type at the three-spot.

Though we never saw that frontcourt, it's pretty clear where the Lakers are heading. Odom took the biggest hit in the aftermath of Game 6. If L.A. moves anybody, it shall be him, because Pau Gasol is best suited for the four-spot anyway.

But is RJ the right replacement at the 3? If the Lakers figure to meet up with Paul Pierce again next June, there's no one better. Nets fans know that better than anyone.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/0 ... prise.html
blix
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: RJ to L.A.? NJ newspaner article 

Post#2 » by blix » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

I don't see that helping us, given the current makeup of our team - I think we would need Odom's "dirty work" more than what RJ would bring, but I really don't know much about him outside of highlight reels.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#3 » by microfib4thewin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Out of all the probable options, RJ would be the most expensive. This isn't just about Buss's willingness to pay luxury tax, it's about whether having a deadlock payroll is worth it. You already see teams like Denver and Mavs who want to make moves but couldn't because they're full of guys with guaranteed contracts that averages 8 - 13 mil a year. The Spurs have been able to contend year after year because they always have enough room to sign key FAs, and while the Pistons have been disappointing, they are the only powerhouse of the East for the last several years because they have a flexible payroll as well.
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#4 » by wfiles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Please let this happen. :pray:
Then we sign Beno Udrih to the MLE and a backup center with the LLE.

Udrih/Fisher/Farmar
Kobe/Vujacic
Jefferson/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Turiaf/Radmanovic
Bynum/LLE/Mihm
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by El Hardee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:29 pm

I would only do this trade if we could some how dump Puke or Vlad in the process. Not sure how the numbers work but LO/Puke for RJ/2nd rounder i'd do it. I take that back they gotta throw in Sean Williams too, then I do it
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#6 » by That Nicka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Star24 is gonna cream his pants if he reads this
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by El Hardee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm

That Nicka wrote:Star24 is gonna cream his pants if he reads this
I was going to work a Star24 refernce in the title but I didnt want to start a flame war.
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#8 » by That Nicka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:58 pm

RJ makes so much money, and is not that great a defender... We dont need more offense, we need defenders and knock down shooters...
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#9 » by RJM » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 pm

El Hardee wrote:I would only do this trade if we could some how dump Puke or Vlad in the process. Not sure how the numbers work but LO/Puke for RJ/2nd rounder i'd do it. I take that back they gotta throw in Sean Williams too, then I do it

No doubt, especially Vlad.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#10 » by kno » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 pm

and I thought Star24 was gonna cream his pants over the trade.

One of his points as to why its a good trade for the Lakers:

star24 wrote: Odom is a better all around player but RJ is a hell of an allaround player to. He can play pg in spurts and even pf at times, not like Odom but he can. He is not the passer Odom is but he is a really good passer for his position and a 22 point a game scorer.]

So in a sense, we will be downgrading talent in an Odom/Rj deal, right?

:lol:
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#11 » by That Nicka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Kno wrote:and I thought Star24 was gonna cream his pants over the trade.

One of his points as to why its a good trade for the Lakers:

star24 wrote: Odom is a better all around player but RJ is a hell of an allaround player to. He can play pg in spurts and even pf at times, not like Odom but he can. He is not the passer Odom is but he is a really good passer for his position and a 22 point a game scorer.]

So in a sense, we will be downgrading talent in an Odom/Rj deal, right?

:lol:

:rofl:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#12 » by milesfides » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 pm

If we're going to pay that much money, might as well push for Kirilenko or pursue Artest (and take back a bad contract) or Nocioni.

Jefferson isn't a good shooter or defender, so he's kind of the opposite of what we'd want in a SF.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Da big3
Starter
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Da big3 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 pm

El Hardee wrote:I would only do this trade if we could some how dump Puke or Vlad in the process. Not sure how the numbers work but LO/Puke for RJ/2nd rounder i'd do it. I take that back they gotta throw in Sean Williams too, then I do it

hmm might as well throw in Josh Boone, Vince Carter, 10th and 21st pick, Marcus William, and nenad kristic

c'mon man Sean Williams is great potential talent, we are not gonna just "throw" Sean Williams in...
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#14 » by Gerald3Wallace » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-la ... 5645.story

this article made me have an impression that there isnt going to be much movesa
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,964

Post#15 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Indeed it did. Or at the very least, that the brain trust plans to give Odom some actual court time to prove that he can/can't handle the small forward role. Right now, if I had to bet money, I'd have to think the experiment will fail. Lamar could spend 10 summers working on it, and I just don't see him developing a consistent jump shot. And that's not even touching on the issues of defense, consistency or toughness.

At the same time, as Kupchak points out, there are some definite advantages to throwing out a frontline of Bynum, Gasol and Odom in terms of size and length. Maybe Lamar's inability to shoot won't be as much of a detriment as it would seem to be. Magic was a mediocre to poor outside shooter until very late in his career, and it never seemed to hurt the Lakers much.

Whether Lamar can make the transition or not, I find myself really pining for Artest even though it's probably nothing more than a message board fantasy. Do it, Mitch!
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#16 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:54 am

God no to this idea.

I'm sure Luke creamed his pants too.
CX44
Analyst

Post#17 » by CX44 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:08 am

The Lakers lose height and rebounding but gain perimeter D and scoring. Not sure there are enough balls to go around for Kobe, Jefferson, Pau, and Bynum.
gmurray8
Sophomore

Post#18 » by gmurray8 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:35 am

Odom
Radman
Mihm (will exercise option, expiring)
LAL 2nd round pick

for

Jefferson
Stromile Swift (will exercise option, expiring)
NJN 2nd round pick (Draft George Hill)

LAL lineup:

Fisher/Farmar
Kobe/Sasha or 2nd round pick (George Hill)
Jefferson/Ariza
Gasol/Swift/Walton
Bynum/Turiaf/Mbenga
f0gman
Ballboy

Post#19 » by f0gman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:06 am

I like an Odom-for-Jefferson trade.

Some question RJ's defense. The Lakers don't need a lockdown defender at the 3. They need a good defensive scheme to turn an athletic 3 into a very good defender. Before this playoffs few regarded Paul Pierce as more than an average defender. Now he's in good stead. Same thing can happen with RJ as long as Bynum is healthy and gets the Russell/Chamberlain "we need you to do the dirty work" talk.

There's a luxury tax hit, but it's not so bad for 2008-09. As much as I love Turiaf, he'd be the odd man out money-wise unless he signs for really cheap. Vujacic should be re-signed, just as much to keep him away from rivals as his skillset, which is good. I'm not being a homer about Sasha. I remember him playing that extra summer league session after Bynum was drafted. Sasha was trying to play lead guard and it just wasn't working. He has blossomed now that he doesn't have that responsibility.

The trade should be
Odom + #58 pick for
RJ + #40 pick

Mitch and Phil both want a big man. Phil wants a veteran thug type. I'd like to see the Lakers get Richard Hendrix. Hendrix is a likely early 2nd pick. Undersized, he plays like a Millsap/Powe type. If Hendrix isn't available, maybe Joey Dorsey. Either should help offset the loss of Turiaf, along with a healthy Mihm. If they have to they can pick up a thug big man with the vet minimum.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,269

Post#20 » by Hoops23 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:15 am

I don't think the Nets want to take the contract of Radmanovic. They rather keep RJ if Radma is included.

Maybe a trade of Odom, Mihm & Ariza for RJ & Swift.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers