Post#21 » by WD » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:51 am

What will shaq do next
#HEATLifer
c2asante
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Will the Lakers ever retire SHAQs N# 

Post#22 » by c2asante » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Of course they should retire his number and honor him. The man led them to three titles and was the most dominant player in the game at the time. It is understanding that fans would be angry over more recent comments. But I would hope the Lakers organization is classy enough to do the right thing without getting caught up in taking sides over personal beefs that are more media manufactured than real. I seriously doubt Kobe and Shaq really hate each other. For Shaq it is nothing more than having fun talking smack ala Muhammad Ali, the media hypes it and silly fans get all emotional over something the players don't even care about.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#23 » by hermes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:31 pm

his number will most likely be retired
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:50 pm

His number will be retired, but not until Buss hands over the reigns to someone else...

Shaq was very disrespectfull towards Buss, which is what I believe ultimately led to the trade. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson and still acts like an ass.

Buss will let someone else preside over the 'honor' of retiring Shaq's jersey...
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#25 » by tkb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Biggame 33 wrote:He was more dominate the Kareem could ever be.

Excuse me? Tell me when Shaq can touch the man who:

Has the most MVPs in NBA history.
Has the most All D team selections in NBA history.
Has the most All NBA team selections in NBA history.
Has scored the most points in NBA history.
Has the most all star selections in NBA history.
Has 3 CONSECUTIVE seasons where he beat Shaq's career highs in RPG, APG, SPG and BPG (beat all 4 in all 3 seasons). Would most likely be 5 in a row had they recorded steals and blocks early in Kareem's career.
Has 4 seasons where he averaged more points than Shaq's career high.
Has 7 seasons where he averaged more rebounds than Shaq's career high.
Has 3 seasons where he averaged more blocks than Shaq's career high (and blocks weren't even counted for 4 of Kareem's prime years).
Has 7 seasons where he averaged more steals than Shaq's career high (and steals weren't even counted for 4 of Kareem's prime years).
Has 10 seasons where he averaged more assists than Shaq's career high.
Has 1 season where he shot better than Shaq's career high in FG% (though Shaq has the advantage in this category overall).
Has 20 seasons where he shot better than Shaq's career high in FT%.
Has 9 seasons where he shot better than Shaq's career high in True Shooting Percentage.

One of Kareem's stat lines in a single season:

27.7 points, 16.9 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 1.5 steals, 4.1 blocks

This was barely Kareem's 4th-5th best best season, and I can't see Shaq even touching this one.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#26 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:45 pm

^^^^^^^^^^ Hopefully YOUNG BYNUM will learn a few things from A REAL LAKER LEGEND^^^^^^
lakerholic4life
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#27 » by lakerholic4life » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:03 pm

I think Dr. Buss will do it out of pity. shaq has become pathetic,and down right ignorant. He loos like a journeyman more than a superstar. I think shaq needs to apologize though. Shaq had a great team. Shaq was nowhere near the only reason we won. He never carried us. he also had all around help,here. So for all the shaq sniffers who keep claiming we win nothing without shaq. The same can be said for kobe,shaw,fox,and horry. All those guys contributed in a major way.
BigDaddyPR
Analyst
And1: 118

Post#28 » by BigDaddyPR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Respect for Buss?? How fast some forget here!! If i remember correctly some dude who wears #24 had some dissrespectful words for Mr. Buss and the Lakers franchise.... even against your own beloved Bynum.... Shaq has done more for the Lakers then Kobe so far.. his number WILL be retired, it is only fair.... Put that hate aside and youll see that he indeed deserves his number in the rafters....
BigDaddyPR
Analyst

Post#29 » by BigDaddyPR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:29 pm

lakerholic4life wrote:I think Dr. Buss will do it out of pity. shaq has become pathetic,and down right ignorant. He loos like a journeyman more than a superstar. I think shaq needs to apologize though. Shaq had a great team. Shaq was nowhere near the only reason we won. He never carried us. he also had all around help,here. So for all the shaq sniffers who keep claiming we win nothing without shaq. The same can be said for kobe,shaw,fox,and horry. All those guys contributed in a major way.

You obviously dont remeber those years..... Shaq was THE reason the Lakers won those 3 rings... 3 rings, 3 finals MVP's... nuff said...
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#30 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:51 pm

BigDaddyPR wrote:
lakerholic4life wrote:I think Dr. Buss will do it out of pity. shaq has become pathetic,and down right ignorant. He loos like a journeyman more than a superstar. I think shaq needs to apologize though. Shaq had a great team. Shaq was nowhere near the only reason we won. He never carried us. he also had all around help,here. So for all the shaq sniffers who keep claiming we win nothing without shaq. The same can be said for kobe,shaw,fox,and horry. All those guys contributed in a major way.

You obviously dont remeber those years..... Shaq was THE reason the Lakers won those 3 rings... 3 rings, 3 finals MVP's... nuff said...

Here we go again with the SHAQ was THE reason we won those rings.
Correct me if Im wrong.
Shaq never won a chip in Orlando right?
Shaq never won a ring until Kobe and Phils arival . Right?
Shaq didnt win a title with the Heat because of Shaq alone RIGHT?
Shaq and the Suns got eliminated in the first round by the Spurs even though the Suns are stacked with a 2 time MVP, Barbosa, Amare, and the supporting cast. RIGHT?
So if Shaq is the main reason we won those titles, then why hasnt he won SH-t other than the three peat with the Lakers if he is so dominant, why did YOUR team lose in the first round?
Ask yourself that question and then post it on the Suns board since we are seriously sick of hearing the same song over and over again.
Shaqs only success , real success which he was a PART OF was in LA and it was because of KOBE as well as Phil.
The chip he won in Miami was because of Wade, Zo, Payton, ect.
Even then he bashed the Heat when he left Miami, he bashed Pat Riley as well as other peps.
Shaq is a dirtbag now, and the reason for his divorce was his ignorance, and the fact he cheated on his wife and his wife cheated on him.
She was robbing him blind and at the same time she had an affair with her ex while she was paying his bills and buying him a home as well as a car.
Its not Kobes fault that Shaqs wife is scandolous. Is it now?
So yes though as a fan I appreciate the fact that Shaq helped us in our threepeat, yet he wasnt the main reason we won those threepeats.
Also Shaq helping us win those champonships doesnt give him the green light to take a dump on everyone from ownership, teamamtes, management to fans .
Thats just lowclass and uncalled for.
BigDaddyPR
Analyst

Post#31 » by BigDaddyPR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Im sorry, but if you cant see how shaq was THE reason for the Lakers 3peat im not going to waste my time with you....
BigDaddyPR
Analyst

Post#32 » by BigDaddyPR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:02 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
BigDaddyPR wrote:

Here we go again with the SHAQ was THE reason we won those rings.
Correct me if Im wrong.
Shaq never won a chip in Orlando right?
Shaq never won a ring until Kobe and Phils arival . Right?
Shaq didnt win a title with the Heat because of Shaq alone RIGHT?
Shaq and the Suns got eliminated in the first round by the Spurs even though the Suns are stacked with a 2 time MVP, Barbosa, Amare, and the supporting cast. RIGHT?
So if Shaq is the main reason we won those titles, then why hasnt he won SH-t other than the three peat with the Lakers if he is so dominant, why did YOUR team lose in the first round?
Ask yourself that question and then post it on the Suns board since we are seriously sick of hearing the same song over and over again.
Shaqs only success , real success which he was a PART OF was in LA and it was because of KOBE as well as Phil.
The chip he won in Miami was because of Wade, Zo, Payton, ect.
Even then he bashed the Heat when he left Miami, he bashed Pat Riley as well as other peps.
Shaq is a dirtbag now, and the reason for his divorce was his ignorance, and the fact he cheated on his wife and his wife cheated on him.
She was robbing him blind and at the same time she had an affair with her ex while she was paying his bills and buying him a home as well as a car.
Its not Kobes fault that Shaqs wife is scandolous. Is it now?
So yes though as a fan I appreciate the fact that Shaq helped us in our threepeat, yet he wasnt the main reason we won those threepeats.
Also Shaq helping us win those champonships doesnt give him the green light to take a dump on everyone from ownership, teamamtes, management to fans .
Thats just lowclass and uncalled for

Are you talking about Shaq here or Kobe???? at least Shaq bashes his EX teammates, not his current teammates.... be fair here.... theres nothing you can say about Shaq that you cant say about Kobe.
lakerholic4life
Banned User

Post#33 » by lakerholic4life » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 pm

oh please there is plenty you can say about shaq that you can't say about kobe. Shaq has had problems with three different teams and their players. Teams he played on. Kobe hasn't. Shaq has never kept himself in shape and dedicated himself to the game. I mean how hard is it for a legit center to win with a guy many consider the second best sg of all time? Shaq has never been dominant! Like i said in another thread how many rebounding,defensive player of the year,blocked shots,or scoring titles does he have? Face it before shaq got with kobe he was known for wack commercials and getting beat by hakeem. All you shaq homers have never lived in reality. Yeah kobe has his problems but anyone who even tries to deny shaq has been a b1tch his entire career is a liar. Shaq held a grudge against robinson because he wouldn't sign an autograph for shaq when shaq was 15. Shaq also takes shot at kareem? That fool could never hold kareem's jock. I think realgm needs to add another board. The i love shaq board. Shaq could diss you guys mothers and you would be fine with it. sad and pathetic. One last thing. Since when can a player who got spanked in the first round with more help diss a player who lost in the finals with less help?
blix
Analyst

Post#34 » by blix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Oh lookie who decided to show back up....what a shock that this would come after a ridiculous Shaq rap, as opposed to a first round exit 2 months ago.

I will say you have excellent timing, although terribly transparent.

But you're only here to discuss basketball, aren't you? It's us being silly and defensive.

:clown:
blix
Analyst

Post#35 » by blix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

BigDaddyPR wrote:Im sorry, but if you cant see how shaq was THE reason for the Lakers 3peat im not going to waste my time with you....

I don't think you'll find a single person...not one....that would have a problem with you wasting your time somewhere else.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#36 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 pm

BigDaddyPR wrote:
Are you talking about Shaq here or Kobe???? at least Shaq bashes his EX teammates, not his current teammates.... be fair here.... theres nothing you can say about Shaq that you cant say about Kobe.

A couple of things.

People here have the right to like or dislike Shaq , so we dont need your approval on this. I like Shaq for what he did for LA I dont like Shaq for his continued childish behavior. See leaving the Lakers.. see leaving Miami see 4 years later and still talking smack.

Many people here ( myself included) were not pleased with how Kobe handled himself last year and his intentions were not to attack Bynum as it was to get a better team around him. He however, learned to shutup and play.

I beleive you will see who the bigger person is on all of this.. when Kobe will continue to shut up and play and Shaq will continue to run his mouth.

Please dont justify Shaq's behavior as a 36 year old man with your hate for Kobe. And if you want to say there is nothing you can say about Shaq then you cant say about Kobe ...then by that logic you must hate them both, now.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
CX44
Analyst

Post#37 » by CX44 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Shaq is like an old worn out fighter who thinks he is still the best at his profession when he is nothing more than a tuneup for young up coming C's. At time's he can still dominate but can't do it over the course of an entire game.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#38 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:08 pm

And one more thing.. BigDaddyPr.. Shaq didnt just talk smack about Kobe.. but Kareem. There are lines to cross and he did.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
TonyMontana
RealGM

Post#39 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:18 pm

blix wrote:
BigDaddyPR wrote:Im sorry, but if you cant see how shaq was THE reason for the Lakers 3peat im not going to waste my time with you....

I don't think you'll find a single person...not one....that would have a problem with you wasting your time somewhere else.

:dontknow: I know I dont . :wink:
Thanks for stopping by.
BigDaddyPR
Analyst

Post#40 » by BigDaddyPR » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:And one more thing.. BigDaddyPr.. Shaq didnt just talk smack about Kobe.. but Kareem. There are lines to cross and he did.

I dont condones Shaqs behavior as of late.. his bashing the Heat org, Riley, Quinn, Ricky Davis.. thats bs.. i never defended him and never will, i can say the same in this situation.. IMO this was not a big deal.. yeah Shaq clearly iosnt over the kobe situation, IMO he wanted to remian a Laker and he still blames Kobe for a lot of things.....

I dont hate Kobe anymore.. imo he has showed he has grown, he is still a little spoiled brat, but he has matured a lot and beilieve it or not.. i wwas rooting for the Lakers in this year's finals.....

thats aside...

Shaq did messed up with the Kareem "bashing", he didnt said much, but yeah.. hes a Laker Legend and yeah there are some lines you dont cross... im not with shaq on that one either....

BUT.... IMO.. Shaq's Jersey should be a lock to be in the rafters..... He won 3 rings.. and no lame rap freestyle can erase that.....

If Shaq messed up with his comments, attitude etc... then Kobe should never have his number or numbers retired either... both dissrespected this franchise more then one time.. and also... Dr. Buss isnt as innocent in al this as many think...... like you told me one time phil.... imo he was the one that messed up the Shaq/kobe situation the worse...... anyways.. Blix.... im cool with you.. Tony montana... take that hat aside and see how Shaq dominated during the 3peat....

Return to Los Angeles Lakers