Predict season opening roster

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Predict season opening roster 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:22 pm

what do you guys think will realistically be the roster when the season starts? people like to imagine fantasy trades like the kings gift wrapping ron artest, pistons handing over billups/prince, or even worse, someone taking walton/radman. realistically though, whats the roster going to look like?

i think mitch is right on when he says the roster is basically going to be the same.

my prediction:

fisher/farmar
bryant/vujacic/karl
odom/ariza/walton
gasol/turiaf/radmanovic
bynum/mihm/mbenga

14 man roster, karl and dj are retained. lakers match offers to ronny and sasha.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Re: Predict season opening roster 

Post#2 » by supaflash » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Its most likely true, and should be for the most part. 2 wins from a championship you don't change a whole lot. Turiaf will be gone probably, replaced by a cheap vet big and we will probably sign Yue if he has a decent showing at the olympics.Sasha getting a big offer could change things a bit. I think Drew may actually start off on the bench for a bit depending on his health and readiness. I don't think we should stand completely still though, I'd like to see us try to get 1 or 2 tough athletic pieces like an Elson Azibuike combo or something but it doesn't seem like they are going to do much if they can't get Posey. I have a feeling Posey will end up back with the Cs.

My prediction for opening night starters...

Fish, Sasha, Ariza, Lamar, Pau

Not that it will stay that way but I kinda think Kobe might be out and Drew might not start right off the bat.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#3 » by hermes » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:47 pm

i betting it will be the same as well, all these rumors of getting FA's and making trades most likely won't happen, mitch knows lakers made the finals last year and their getting bynum and araiza back, kobe's finger will be healed

so mitch isn't going to rock the boat and potentially screw this up
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#4 » by Dexmor » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:59 pm

If they can get Ron they will. Also Ronny is gonny. I don't know what the roster will be but some changes would be good.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#5 » by crazyeights » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 pm

We're not getting Artest.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#6 » by That Nicka » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Fisher/Farmar
Kobe/Sasha/Karl
Lamar/Luke/Ariza
Pau/Turiaf/Radman
Bynum/Mihm/Mbenga
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by DubaLakers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Same old roster? Look at all you conservative Keno players, this is Vegas baby, daddy needs a new Rolls Royce ;). Plus it helps the days pass until the Olympics start and the upcoming pre-season...What if we get...

I really think Ronnie won't be matched. No love for Joe C I see. Nicka you like Walton over Ariza?

What about a quick PG that can play D. I think we need help there with DFish getting another year older.
dmbc07
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by dmbc07 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:59 pm

fish/farmar
kobe/sasha
artest/ariza/walton
gasol/kurt thomas/reggie evans
bynum/kurt thomas/mihm

inactive- karl/crawford/kenny thomas...

odom for artest & kenny thomas, well eventually let kenny thomas expire for the cap relief

vlad rad for reggie evans/ gives us what turiaf did, energy hustle and pushing his teamates to the max, philly is desperate for a shooter, and evans is expendable

kurt thomas for the vets min..san antonio is aging..

so our salary for the summer of 2010 will be right now minus, 10 mil for kenny thomas...reggie evans makes 2 mill less than vlad...with bynums extension we should be a little over our salary now..
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#9 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:24 pm

PG: Derek Fisher/ Jordan Farmar/ Lindsey Hunter
SG: Kobe Bryant/ Sasha Vujacic/ Coby Karl
SF: Lamar Odom/ James Posey/ Luke Walton
PF: Pau Gasol/ Brian Skinner/ Vladimir Radmanovic
C: Andrew Bynum/ Kwame Brown/ Chris Mihm

Posey (Full MLE)
Kwame (LLE)
Skinner, Hunter (Vet Minimums)
Turiaf gone to the Warriors
joe.linnen
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by joe.linnen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 pm

We need a better back up Center and a back up Power Forward. This could be fixed if we grab Brown, Azubuike and Posey

As of now:
SF:Odom/Ariza/Walton
PF:Gasol/Radmanovic
C:Bynum/Mihm
SG:Bryant/
PG:Fisher/Farmar

What I want:
SF:Posey/Ariza/Walton
PF:Gasol/Odom/Radmanovic
C:Bynum/Brown/Mihm
SG:Bryant/Azubuike/Karl
PG:Fisher/Farmar/Crawford
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by DubaLakers » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:31 pm

Lindsay Hunter now that's a great suggest.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#12 » by Slava » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 am

As much as I think and try to read Mitch's ideas, I think he'll bring back Turiaf and might look to trade Radmanovic in a cap saving move. Luke should bounce back next season and Odom will stay atleast until january.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#13 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:30 am

Fisher/famar
Vujacic/Ariza/-Kobe misses game
Artest/vlad/Karl/walton
Gasol/thomas
Bynum/Mihm

ronny gone
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#14 » by That Nicka » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:49 pm

DubaLakers wrote:Same old roster?

Most likely IMO... I think Posey will stay with Boston, why would he come here to split time with 4 people (Lamar, Luke, Rad, Ariza) when he could stay in Boston in be the primary backup to both Allen and Pierce? I see him staying in Boston for MLE -- 3 years (or I could see him going to New Orleans if they give him MLE -- 4 years, but they seem pretty high on Julian Wright so I dont see them doing that)

Sac simply will not trade us Artest before the season starts.. period... At the trade deadline it may be different situations

People thinking Kurt Thomas or Alonzo Mourning will come here are wishful thinkers

Therefore, I expect Ronny Turiaf to be matched as he will be our best available backup PF/C

The only move I can see made before the season is: Vlad Rad for cap space (or a shorter contract).. and I would look for Lamar to be moved at the deadline.. and if he isnt, then I dont expect him to be re-signed after next season

DubaLakers wrote:Nicka you like Walton over Ariza?

Depends which Luke we get.... 07 Luke would easily be our best option at SF... People forget why Luke has the contract that he has... He was fantastic in the 06 playoffs, and was great during the 06/07 regular season... When he is a starter he plays much better... If Lamar and Vlad are shipped out for cap space and our full time rotation at SF is Luke/Ariza I would not be upset at all... Luke can be a very solid starter and has simply proven more than Ariza thus far in their respective careers

DubaLakers wrote:What about a quick PG that can play D. I think we need help there with DFish getting another year older.

sounds like Farmar to me...
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#15 » by tkb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:39 pm

C - Andrew Bynum / Kwame Brown / Chris Mihm
F - Pau Gasol / Kenny Thomas / Vladimir Radmanovic
F - Ron Artest / Trevor Ariza / Luke Walton
G - Kobe Bryant / Sasha Vujacic / Coby Karl
G - Derek Fisher / Jordan Farmar / Joe Crawford
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#16 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 pm

I know one thing for sure............................Ronny Turiaf won't be on it. But it seems most here have missed what free agency is all about. Yet I see him mentioned as being on the roster on opening night.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#17 » by That Nicka » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:44 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:I know one thing for sure............................Ronny Turiaf won't be on it. But it seems most here have missed what free agency is all about. Yet I see him mentioned as being on the roster on opening night.

We still have 4 or 5 days to match the offer, until that time has passed none of us can say whether he will be on the roster or not, only whether we think he will be or not
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#18 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 am

That Nicka wrote:

We still have 4 or 5 days to match the offer, until that time has passed none of us can say whether he will be on the roster or not, only whether we think he will be or not
And I'm telling you Nicka he won't be on the roster. Think about it seriously, if we was 100% certain we had to have Ronny and wanted him badly we could have and would have matched in less then 24 hours and in effect killed the Warriors pipe dream. It's not even something you haggle over if he was a need, not saying we don't need Ronny but the bottom line is that it comes back to money.

And this being the 8th year of the luxury tax being in the CBA, it's starting to have an effect on how team do business in free agency. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but just staying in reality because I don't get sentimental when players have to leave. It's just business
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:13 am

its common practice to wait most of the 7 days to match. its not indicative of whether a team is going to match or not. if anything, it helps the other team if the lakers were to immediately match or decline to match.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 am

If the Lakers clear some cap space in the next couple days, we'll match Ronny.

But, I hope we don't. Trade Radmanovic or Luke and a pick for cap space/smaller contract, and don't match Ronny. Sign Posey to the MLE.

That would be my dream.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers