Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Luke surgery on Friday 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm

per lakers text message update service:

Luke Walton will undergo surgery Friday to remove bone spurs from his right ankle. Estimated recovery time will be issued after the surgery
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Re: Luke surgery on Friday 

Post#2 » by Desiderium » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:59 pm

those types of surgeries are typically not serious. he should be 100% before training camp.
blix
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#3 » by blix » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:25 pm

hopefully he won't have any scars or setbacks when they remove his head from his ass
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#4 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:16 pm

blix wrote:hopefully he won't have any scars or setbacks when they remove his head from his ass
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#5 » by hermes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:35 pm

scars make you look tough

anyway i hope this will get him back to when he was good
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#6 » by That Nicka » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 pm

People have been giving Luke a hard time but he has been playing injured for a long time... Hopefully he will turn back into 06/07 Luke after he is fully healed
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#7 » by Danny Darko » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:12 pm

man, he's what 50? He definitely has his father degenerative injury problem. He won't last long in the league before he has to shut it down, because unlike Bill, he's not a big who can rely on size when the body falls apart.

i appreciate the effort he gives considering he's crumbling like a vampire in the sun.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:12 pm

That Nicka wrote:People have been giving Luke a hard time but he has been playing injured for a long time... Hopefully he will turn back into 06/07 Luke after he is fully healed

I have a hard time believing that his ankle injury affected his ability to hit wide open shots. He never gets any lift on his shots, healthy or not, so I don't think that's a legit excuse. I also don't see how his ankle can cause him to continually blow easy layups.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
monk302
Sophomore

Post#9 » by monk302 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 am

Wont help his game any. :violin:
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#10 » by That Nicka » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:35 am

semi-sentient wrote:
That Nicka wrote:People have been giving Luke a hard time but he has been playing injured for a long time... Hopefully he will turn back into 06/07 Luke after he is fully healed

I have a hard time believing that his ankle injury affected his ability to hit wide open shots. He never gets any lift on his shots, healthy or not, so I don't think that's a legit excuse. I also don't see how his ankle can cause him to continually blow easy layups.

plenty of players play a lot worse when they have nagging injuries... just look at DWade last year
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by semi-sentient » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:00 am

That Nicka wrote:
semi-sentient wrote:

plenty of players play a lot worse when they have nagging injuries... just look at DWade last year

DWade relies completely on his athleticism. While injuries certainly slowed him down a bit this season, he still put together a very nice season.

As for Luke, he's never been athletic or relied on that to be effective. It's pretty much mental with him.
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#12 » by ShowtimeFan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:14 am

Scandalouzzzz wrote:those types of surgeries are typically not serious. he should be 100% before training camp.

100% by Traning Camp?

Great News!

Since he only appeared to be playing at 60% last season...
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#13 » by milesfides » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 am

Luke is definitely injury-prone, as he's missed an average of 15 games a year. Still, he's played in at least 60 games in each season of his carer. I give him credit for sucking it up because it was reported that he was playing hurt this season. The bone spurs in his right ankle had been bothering him all season. He sprained it in November, then struggled with it all season, and finally is getting surgery.

Luke=puke? Nah, he looked hobbled out there at times this season. To me, it was clear he wasn't 100%, and the fact that he needed surgery is a good enough excuse for me. I consider him a valuable player when healthy. I thought there was a big difference in his game over the 06 summer. Luke trimmed down, became much quicker, athletic, and this even helped his post moves. Unfortunately he sprained the notorious right ankle that season, if I recall correctly, while blocking a shot.

Anyways, that he needed to have surgery is both a good and bad sign.

It's a good sign because maybe this will allow Walton to finally play healthy. It may be a bad sign because Chris Mihm is a living example of an ankle that can't get right.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#14 » by YiYaoYue » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:59 am

Walton To Have Spurs Removed From Foot

So, how did Walton kick Spurs ass so bad that he has the get the Spurs removed from his foot?
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#15 » by That Nicka » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:41 am

semi-sentient wrote:DWade relies completely on his athleticism. While injuries certainly slowed him down a bit this season, he still put together a very nice season.

As for Luke, he's never been athletic or relied on that to be effective. It's pretty much mental with him.

Also look at a player like Kwame... He had confidence when he was healthy (remember that dunk on Nocioni from a step inside the free throw line?).. He showed he could be around 10 and 8 center when healthy... when injured (which he often was) he was like a 6 and 4 center and a constant liability... I'm not saying players shouldnt play through it or always make excuses but players react differently to injuries... Not everyone can be Kobe or Iverson -- who will give you the same game and production no matter how many injuries they have... There are also Jermaine Oneals, Luke Waltons, Kwame Browns and Dwyane Wades... completely different players when healthy then when they have nagging injuries....
3-Pt_Shooter
Senior

Post#16 » by 3-Pt_Shooter » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:28 am

I can totally relate to Luke and his bone spurs :( Last year I had some major issues with the bottom of my left foot. Consequently, I played like horse crap (not that anyone should care) for what seemed like about 3-4 months.

After receiving some treatment... the pain disappeared and my "game" reappeared :D Maybe this surgery will do the trick for Luke. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that it does.
Leonidas
Starter
And1: 2

Post#17 » by Leonidas » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 am

Hope u right man. If not, ship his $$$ off...

Propz to Kno for the sig..
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#18 » by islander009 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 am

Well while your at it, would you consider getting some parts from the the million dollar man to make you jump higher and run faster? just a thought since there will be surgery anyway. or just half a dose of Comcast Speed just to get him moving for the upcoming season. haha

okay in all seriousness Luke Get well, We need you back on your feet.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#19 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am

Hopefully he can get himself right. The bad part about this.. He won't have a summer to improve and get better.

Hopefully we can trade him though..
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#20 » by kobeaki » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:37 am

thank you...ive been saying this for awhile...not meaning to be all nyah-nyah---poo-poo...but dude has been hurt all season...

and i think the reason no one knows(knew) was because of dads history with chronic foot/arch problems.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers