Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Re: OT. Clippers Get Camby 

Post#21 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:39 am

YiYaoYue wrote:
Phil_2.0 wrote:I have to laugh at the double-standard on the GB board. Some are saying.. wow, look how much money the nuggets save as they were not going anywhere :roll:

save money for what? isn't camby atleast like the top 10 center in the NBA? i'm sure there are teams out there right now like maybe even freakin chicago scratching their heads saying i would have given up kirk hindrich for camby.

Thats a seperate issue. We can discuss what could have been all day. My comment was based on this vs. the Gasol trade. Yes, we got a steal and the primary motive for Mem was to save money. Basically, its bad for a team one hand to do a deal to save money ( mem) but its good for a team to do a deal and save money ( den ) = double standard
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#22 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 am

Its going to be interesting to see how Kaman fares at PF.

Or will Camby be playing PF?

Its going to be interesting across the hall.

Regardless, it was an amazing move by teh Clips.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,622

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 am

there would be no way kaman is the one playing pf. camby is like pau, way too undersized to really be a center. he's better off at pf.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#24 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:38 am

For Denver, they were way over the tax so I can see why they traded Camby for pretty much nothing. They aren't going to move Melo, and both Kenyon and Nene(seriously, 10 mil?!) have ridiculous contracts that goes for 2 and 3 more years. Don't laugh now, but the Lakers could very well end up in these kinds of situation if they trade Odom for a permanent SF.
lakErfrOmManiLa
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by lakErfrOmManiLa » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 am

wtf is denver thinking?? the funny thing is that last year we wanted a deal like this:

MARCUS CAMBY for KWAME BROWN!!! and denver just laugh at us..

and we got GASOL for BROWN, CRIT and GASOL 2.0

and now denver got a 2nd rounder???

wow.. just wow.....

You gotta be kidding me...
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: OT. Clippers get Camby 

Post#26 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:52 am

Leonidas wrote:thats the ish that pisses me off... So does this mean no Josh Smith because Camby take s all that money?
Camby is still under contract...................where are going in your thinking ? Clippers still have cap space.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:56 am

no they don't. they just used the capspace to absorb camby's contract. thats how they were able to send zero players back to the nuggets and the main reason the nuggets had for making this deal.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#28 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 am

Kno wrote:Its going to be interesting to see how Kaman fares at PF.

Or will Camby be playing PF?

Its going to be interesting across the hall.

Regardless, it was an amazing move by teh Clips.
Are you kidding me ! Kaman was never going to play the PF anyway. And the Nuggets was playing Camby out of position for years anyway. :noway:
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:03 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Leonidas wrote:thats the ish that pisses me off... So does this mean no Josh Smith because Camby take s all that money?
Camby is still under contract...................where are going in your thinking ? Clippers still have cap space.

Wrong, once again.

Reason they got Camby for NOTHING was because tehy have cap space.

Ever wonder why the trade checker requires teams to send back what are similar contract amounts? Thats because teams are OVER teh cap and cannot take in any more money.

Clippers were under the cap, so they were able to absorb Camby's 10million dollar contract or whatever it is. I dunno off teh top of my head how much cap space tehy had, but Im about 90% sure they dont have more than MLE type money.
Gasoline16
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Gasoline16 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 am

Wait, how did this trade go through? Don't the salaries have to match, or is there some special rule or loophole that they used in this trade?
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 am

Gasoline16 wrote:Wait, how did this trade go through? Don't the salaries have to match, or is there some special rule or loophole that they used in this trade?

read my post above yours.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:20 am

read my post above both of yours!
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 am

No fair. You posted while I was typing. lol
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#34 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 am

Kno wrote: Wrong, once again.

Reason they got Camby for NOTHING was because tehy have cap space.

Ever wonder why the trade checker requires teams to send back what are similar contract amounts? Thats because teams are OVER teh cap and cannot take in any more money.

Clippers were under the cap, so they were able to absorb Camby's 10million dollar contract or whatever it is. I dunno off teh top of my head how much cap space tehy had, but Im about 90% sure they dont have more than MLE type money.
No YOUR wrong, I was quoting the poster who thought the trade would take up all the remaining 12 mil the Clips had to play with. I already knew Camby made 10 mil and they could absorb his contract on that. Leaving them at least 2 mil under the cap their still under .So what are you quoting me for ?
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:00 am

lol, c'mon man. thats a weak cop out. a poster said the clips can no longer go after josh smith, u question his line of thinking because you claim they still have capspace. either you're wrong and u forgot about camby's contract being absorbed with the capspace, or you're wrong in that u think 2 million is enough money to get josh smith.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#36 » by Slava » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 am

Well, not a good trade imo.

They could have instead raised teh stakes on Okafor and tested Bobcats' resolve.

Camby was never strong enough to defend the big Cs and he's just reached that point in his career when he cannot play PF and get away with it. 10 mil for a starter at a position of no immediate need? I don't get this move. His offense isn't great anyway. Looks more like a move to appeade the fans and B Diddy after letting Brand walk away.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:23 am

if camby can't play pf, then gasol doesn't stand a chance.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#38 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am

dcash4 wrote:lol, c'mon man. thats a weak cop out. a poster said the clips can no longer go after josh smith, u question his line of thinking because you claim they still have capspace. either you're wrong and u forgot about camby's contract being absorbed with the capspace, or you're wrong in that u think 2 million is enough money to get josh smith.
It's no cop out and I'm not wrong. The poster clearly didn't understand how the the cap works.

Dude they had 12 mil in cap space what part of that either of you don't understand ?

Camby makes 10 mil , Clips absorb his 10 mil and have two mil left. How do you figure I forgot about his contract being absorbed when I stated it in another reply to KNO. And I never said what so ever that 2 mil was enough to get J-Smoove . How about you don't understand or fail to comprehend what your reading. The poster clearly thought that by trading for Camby, the Clips used all of their cap space.

Once again they had 12, used 10 have 2 left...............understand it now ? Common sense tells you you wouldn't be able to acquire J-Smoove if you planned to give him a contract starting over 10 mil and trade for Camby.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#39 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:49 am

dcash4 wrote:if camby can't play pf, then gasol doesn't stand a chance.
Can't or can ?

Camby will be the PF,he was never a true 5 but teams played him there out of urgency. Didn't Pau average like 22 in the Denver series against Camby. I'm not worried about him at the PF.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#40 » by YiYaoYue » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 am

i'm going to laugh when clippers 2 years from now trade marcus camby for a valuable young player, expiring, and future 1st round picks.
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers