Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Re: OT. Clippers Get Camby 

Post#41 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
dcash4 wrote:lol, c'mon man. thats a weak cop out. a poster said the clips can no longer go after josh smith, u question his line of thinking because you claim they still have capspace. either you're wrong and u forgot about camby's contract being absorbed with the capspace, or you're wrong in that u think 2 million is enough money to get josh smith.
It's no cop out and I'm not wrong. The poster clearly didn't understand how the the cap works.

Dude they had 12 mil in cap space what part of that either of you don't understand ?

Camby makes 10 mil , Clips absorb his 10 mil and have two mil left. How do you figure I forgot about his contract being absorbed when I stated it in another reply to KNO. And I never said what so ever that 2 mil was enough to get J-Smoove . How about you don't understand or fail to comprehend what your reading. The poster clearly thought that by trading for Camby, the Clips used all of their cap space.

Once again they had 12, used 10 have 2 left...............understand it now ? Common sense tells you you wouldn't be able to acquire J-Smoove if you planned to give him a contract starting over 10 mil and trade for Camby.

sure sure :lol:

DEEP3CL wrote:
dcash4 wrote:if camby can't play pf, then gasol doesn't stand a chance.
Can't or can ?

Camby will be the PF,he was never a true 5 but teams played him there out of urgency. Didn't Pau average like 22 in the Denver series against Camby. I'm not worried about him at the PF.

my post was in response to the post above mine that questions camby's ability to play pf. if camby can't play pf, then there is no reason for anyone to think that gasol can play pf. my point is that camby most certainly can play pf just like gasol can.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#42 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 am

dcash4 wrote:

my post was in response to the post above mine that questions camby's ability to play pf. if camby can't play pf, then there is no reason for anyone to think that gasol can play pf. my point is that camby most certainly can play pf just like gasol can.
OK, I never doubted either one of those guys ability to play the PF. Camby will shine next to Kaman because he'll be able to help off he weak side . 4 /5ths of the Clips starting 5 is solid but I wonder about the 2 spot.

It don't matter anyway the gotta guard Kobe :lol:
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 am

i'd just put baron on kobe who did an EXCELLENT job on him when the lakers played the warriors and let mobley/e. gordon guard fisher/farmar.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#44 » by Slava » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 am

dcash4 wrote:if camby can't play pf, then gasol doesn't stand a chance.

Gasol is much quicker than Camby so I wouldn't do that comparision and Camby's role is for defensive purposes. While still being a very good shot blocker, his man defense has never been special and he'd be exploited more if he tries to guard PFs.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#45 » by Slava » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:06 am

YiYaoYue wrote:i'm going to laugh when clippers 2 years from now trade marcus camby for a valuable young player, expiring, and future 1st round picks.

Your POV is amazing. :rofl:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#46 » by YiYaoYue » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:06 am

i'm happy for clippers if they make playoffs... and i would love to see lakers vs clippers in playoffs because it will be like lakers having 7 home games in the series. And I might not be absolutely bored watching clippers on CW (or WB). I don't think lakers have to worry about clippers unless clippers end up with josh smith or something. Clippers starting line up is strong, but their bench is pretty weak. I think they would have been stronger with elton brand, so although they are better than last year, they aren't as good if elton stayed.
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#47 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 am

VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 am

no one ever doubted that the clips still had 2 mil left in capspace. that amount is insignificant. every single team in the league has the mle and ble that surpasses or matches that amount. the point was that you put down a poster that simply asked if the marcus camby trade eliminated any possibilities of signing josh smith. you questioned his line of thinking as if the point of his post was the insignificant amount of capspace the clips had left.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
sabonis
Analyst
And1: 340

Post#49 » by sabonis » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 am

wasn't there a rule in the nba, stating that salaries should be equivalent (like 80% or something) how come nuggets trade camby for a right to switch draft picks?

thanks in advance for the answer
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#50 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:47 am

dcash4 wrote:no one ever doubted that the clips still had 2 mil left in capspace. that amount is insignificant. every single team in the league has the mle and ble that surpasses or matches that amount. the point was that you put down a poster that simply asked if the marcus camby trade eliminated any possibilities of signing josh smith. you questioned his line of thinking as if the point of his post was the insignificant amount of capspace the clips had left.
Your right cash, but your insinuating that I questioned him when it was his ignorance on the cap issue that led me to quote him anyway.His words were "so no Josh Smith cause Camby takes all that money". I already knew they couldn't acquire J-Smoove with so little cap space left. Apparently he didn't know that or acted like he didn't know. But you and KNO tried to persuade me that I was wrong on the Clips having NOTHING left when in fact they had the insignificant 2 mil left.

You even said it your self like this,"no they don't. they just used the capspace to absorb camby's contract" that's your exact quote. It's irrelevant to me on how you thought I questioned another poster. That was between me and him but he never quoted back so you and KNO thought you was so right on the matter when I knew what was going on all along.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Re: OT. Clippers get Camby 

Post#51 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:48 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
No YOUR wrong, I was quoting the poster who thought the trade would take up all the remaining 12 mil the Clips had to play with. I already knew Camby made 10 mil and they could absorb his contract on that. Leaving them at least 2 mil under the cap their still under .So what are you quoting me for ?

I guess it was just a misunderstanding, but you should reword your sentences. Yours sent teh completely wrong message (if what youre saying you meant is infact true).

A poster virtually sasy "So does this mean Josh Smith cant be signed anymore?"

Then you pretty much said, "Why do you think that? They still have cap space."

And Im not the only one that understood it that way too.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#52 » by kno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
But you and KNO tried to persuade me that I was wrong on the Clips having NOTHING left when in fact they had the insignificant 2 mil left.

:lol:

PLease quote me where I said Clips dont have ANY cap room.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#53 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:57 am

Kno wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
But you and KNO tried to persuade me that I was wrong on the Clips having NOTHING left when in fact they had the insignificant 2 mil left.

:lol:

PLease quote me where I said Clips dont have ANY cap room.
Well you didn't but dcash4 did.BTW it's all good didn't mean for it to come off personal ( if it seemed that way) during a verbal battle.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#54 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 am

ssaboniss wrote:wasn't there a rule in the nba, stating that salaries should be equivalent (like 80% or something) how come nuggets trade camby for a right to switch draft picks?

Yeah it is but it's kinda complicated in Camby's case because he's a BYC ( base year compensation salary player) meaning he has a base salary (which is 8 million ) but he has incentives that could boost it to 11.7 if they are met. But since the Clips had 12 million in cap space they were able to absorb his salary.

BYC players are the hardest guys to trade in the NBA because of all the intricacies involved.

Try this it might clear it up for you.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#73
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:24 am

camby isn't byc. byc only applies for one season to players who just received huge raises with bird rights. camby's salary is 10 million, outgoing and incoming. nothing complicated about it.

as far as the clippers capspace, they really have none. with 11 players on the roster and a cap hold for minimmu salary, they effectively don't have any real capspace to work with. they're going to be filling their roster with minimum salary acquisitions.
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#56 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 am

Wow= DENs fans reamed Lakers posts all last summer when Kwame + 1st was tossed out there in many trade threads. Now they get zip back to create the same cap situation they could've had anyway. Have to see if they even do anything with that 10 mil TPE... doubtful.
DEN will drop back a notch and the Clips are still not anything more than a #8 contender, so this only helps the Lakers in the big pic.
sabonis
Analyst
And1: 340

Post#57 » by sabonis » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:05 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
ssaboniss wrote:wasn't there a rule in the nba, stating that salaries should be equivalent (like 80% or something) how come nuggets trade camby for a right to switch draft picks?

Yeah it is but it's kinda complicated in Camby's case because he's a BYC ( base year compensation salary player) meaning he has a base salary (which is 8 million ) but he has incentives that could boost it to 11.7 if they are met. But since the Clips had 12 million in cap space they were able to absorb his salary.

BYC players are the hardest guys to trade in the NBA because of all the intricacies involved.

Try this it might clear it up for you.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#73

thanks mate :wink:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,564

Post#58 » by hermes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 pm

wow well the clippers are having a good offseason
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#59 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 pm

dcash4 wrote:camby isn't byc. byc only applies for one season to players who just received huge raises with bird rights. camby's salary is 10 million, outgoing and incoming. nothing complicated about it.

as far as the clippers capspace, they really have none. with 11 players on the roster and a cap hold for minimmu salary, they effectively don't have any real capspace to work with. they're going to be filling their roster with minimum salary acquisitions.
Yeah your right, but he has a base salary of 8 mil the rest comes if incentives are met.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#60 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:37 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
dcash4 wrote:camby isn't byc. byc only applies for one season to players who just received huge raises with bird rights. camby's salary is 10 million, outgoing and incoming. nothing complicated about it.

Dude trust me Camby is a BYC where do you get your info from. I knew this even before the LA Times link I put in this thread. So the Times is wrong too right ?

All I'm going to ask you is where did you get the info ?

Deep, I didnt read the article but if the La time is saying that Camby is a BYC player then they are wrong he is not.

BYC players are those who normally come off thier rookie deals and get big raises. Or a non-rookie gets a huge raise.

73. What is "Base Year Compensation?" How does base year compensation affect trades? Why does it exist?

Base year compensation (BYC) prevents another salary cap loophole. Without BYC, a team over the salary cap that wants to trade a player, but can't because of the Traded Player exception (which says teams can't take back more than 125% of the salary they trade away), could just sign the player to a new contract that fits within the desired range, then do the trade. BYC says "if you re-sign a player and give him a big raise, then for a period of time his trade value will be lower than his actual salary." BYC defines the salary that's used to compare players for compliance under the Traded Player exception (see question number 68 for more information about the Traded Player exception). Usually the salary used for comparison is the player's actual salary. But under either of the following circumstances, a different salary is used when comparing salaries for trading purposes:

The team is over the salary cap, used the Larry Bird or Early Bird exception to re-sign the player, and the player received a raise greater than 20% (unless it's the minimum salary).

The team is over the salary cap, it extended the player's rookie scale contract, and the player received a raise greater than 20%.
If either of the above apply, then the player is considered a base year player. A player remains a base year player for six months, or until June 30, whichever comes later. When trading a base year player, the salary used for comparison is the player's previous salary, or 50% of the first-year salary in his new contract, whichever is greater.
Here is an example of a BYC calculation: A player earned $2 million in 2004-05, after which he became a free agent. He then signs a new contract (re-signing with his previous team, which is over the salary cap) starting at $9 million. This player qualifies for BYC, so his trade value is the greater of his previous salary ($2 million) or 50% of his new salary ($4.5 million), or $4.5 million. So this player, who actually earns $9 million, is worth $4.5 million for trading purposes.

When comparing salaries for trade, teams use their own player's BYC value and the other player's full salary, even if the other player is also BYC. Here is a simple example -- two $5 million players, both of whom are re-signed (by teams over the cap) for $10 million. Both players become base year players whose base year amount is $5 million (50% of the new salary). If the teams want to trade these players for each other they compare their player's base year amount to the other player's full salary. So each team can take back a maximum of 125% plus $100,000 of their player's $5 million base year amount, or $6.35 million. They compare $6.35 million to the other player's full $10 million. $10 million is way too high, so this trade can't be done, even though the players' actual salaries match exactly.

If one of the teams in the above example was below the cap, the trade still couldn't be done. For the team under the cap, their player would not be BYC, so they would be comparing $10 million to $10 million. But since the other team is over the cap, their player is BYC, and they'd still be comparing $5.85 million to $10 million, which prevents the trade from working. (See question number 75 for more information about trading BYC players.) .

larrycoon

You can see Camby's salary here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... yma01.html

The reason the Clippers did not need to send anything back is because they were below the cap enough to absorb his salary and create a trade exception. Thats all.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags

Return to Los Angeles Lakers