ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum has weird relationship with the lakers?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: Bynum has weird relationship with the lakers? 

Post#21 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:45 am

^ One 3PT shooter in the starting line-up, though (Kirk)... Kobe's more of a self-shooter and creator, than a recieving shooter.

Also don't think the Lakers are giving up on Bynum.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Mindflayer
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#22 » by Mindflayer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:45 am

Dodn't Kobe go to Colorado and have surgery on his knee(?) a few years back without the team knowing anything beforehand? We all know how that turned out. How is what Bynum did any different?
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#23 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:05 am

Mindflayer wrote:Dodn't Kobe go to Colorado and have surgery on his knee(?) a few years back without the team knowing anything beforehand? We all know how that turned out. How is what Bynum did any different?

How about completely different?

Kobe felt that he needed surgery and got it done early in the OFFSEASON, by the most famous knee doctor in the world. It wasn't major surgery, it was a minor arthroscopic procedure to clean up his knee.

Bynum's camp felt he DIDN'T need surgery DURING THE SEASON - in opposition to team doctors, second opinion after second opinion, and Bynum eventually missed the playoffs, and we lost in the Finals. He finally got knee surgery months later.

Here's another difference:

Kobe SHOULD have consulted the team, but he didn't go against their wishes or their judgment. In fact, would they have wanted him to do anything different? Of course not, which is probably the reason why Kobe didn't feel the need to tell them. It was negligence, no doubt, but the offseason surgery was both in his own interest and the team's.

On the other hand, Bynum's decision involves contracts, money, agents, a difference of interests- his and the team's. At best, Bynum was listening to bad advice; at worst, he put himself above the team. Not that I expect him to play hurt, but there was plenty of sound advice which he chose not to follow.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#24 » by ChocolateThundr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 am

Why did Jerry Buss had to have 2 kids? Unless they were twins.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:34 am

He actually has two more children, Johnny and Janie.

Johnny actually was the President of the Sparks, until things went so well that Buss sold the team a couple years ago and Johnny went back to photography.

Janie, I don't know about, but bless her soul.

I don't want to talk crap over the internet about a family, because I'm sure they're all nice people with various talents, but that doesn't mean they're all qualified to run a basketball team.

Except Jeanie.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#26 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 am

put a winner on the floor and everyones happy. ---but, Lets not foget billionare Paul Anshwitz who is 35% owner of thr Lakers and 100% Staples center owner..

His team and his building he wants to make some cash bad ...and he has a great team to suport moving forward. Morale of the story, Buss and Paul have alot of money and they want it wn,
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#27 » by kno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:06 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:put a winner on the floor and everyones happy. ---but, Lets not foget billionare Paul Anshwitz who is 35% owner of thr Lakers and 100% Staples center owner..

His team and his building he wants to make some cash bad ...and he has a great team to suport moving forward. Morale of the story, Buss and Paul have alot of money and they want it wn,

I thought it was Philip (Anschutz, BTW) that owned the company?

Regardless, is it Philip/Paul, or the company (AEG) that own 35% of the Lakers?
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#28 » by laduane1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:11 am

AB is going to get his big contract, why not just start the process and get on with it. Make both sides happy.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#29 » by Gek » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm

we have to worry about bynum's agent more than his doctors. I'd be interested to read an article like this on seattle... erm oklahoma city
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#30 » by hermes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Kno wrote:
Phil_2.0 wrote:put a winner on the floor and everyones happy. ---but, Lets not foget billionare Paul Anshwitz who is 35% owner of thr Lakers and 100% Staples center owner..

I thought it was Philip (Anschutz, BTW) that owned the company?

Regardless, is it Philip/Paul, or the company (AEG) that own 35% of the Lakers?

it's Philip Anschutz
but as far as him or the company that owns it, i don't know
in the end it would be him either way would it not?
monk302
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#31 » by monk302 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:52 pm

This garbage didn't happen when Jerry West had control of Basketball decisions. :crazy:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by milesfides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Actually it was starting to, which is a big reason why he resigned from the Lakers in 2000. He didn't get the money, he didn't get the power, the didn't get the respect.

He got all three in Memphis two years later.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#33 » by LLcoleJ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 pm

milesfides wrote:He actually has two more children, Johnny and Janie.

Johnny actually was the President of the Sparks, until things went so well that Buss sold the team a couple years ago and Johnny went back to photography.

I don't want to talk crap over the internet about a family, because I'm sure they're all nice people with various talents, but that doesn't mean they're all qualified to run a basketball team.

Except Jeanie.

He actually has 2 more kids from a different momma that are involved in the org.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#34 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Looks like Lil' Jimmy Buss is becoming quite the 'escapegoat' for the divisions of our front office. I take a different spin on this. Clearly there is a powerstruggle in the Lakers FO between Jimmy and Jeanne. But looking at all the articles everything so flippantly anti-Jim and it got me to thinking as to why. Now Jim isn't the most brilliant person and not the most upstanding but sense he became prominent in our FO drafting and trades have markedly improved as well as FO decisions. Jimmy is no where near ready to take over and like Miles says, I think Buss does favor him slightly for the opening.

So where's my spin? Simple, with Jeanne much more public persona, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these articles weren't in part Jeanne's strategy of power in putting public pressure to oust Jimmy. There are several people playing for power in our front office from Phil, to Mitch to Jeanne to Jimmy to even Dr. Buss. But in all of the articles it seems as if everyone is holding hands and singing songs outside of the evil grinch Jimmy trying to steal Christmas and I don't buy it at all. Wouldn't surprise me at all if insider sources were jeanne or people in her camp.

I may be overthinking this but I will completely wear my cynic cap with all of these articles.
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#35 » by kobeaki » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:38 pm

milesfides wrote:He actually has two more children, Johnny and Janie.

Except Jeanie.

she runs the the lakers charitable organizations, and i believe lives in either riverside ca, or oklahoma...

and the buss family is muy disfunctional...the mother of the 4 kids, when her and senior divorced, lived in the same house for 5 years , and were divorced, and the kids did not even know it...
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by milesfides » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I seriously doubt Jeanie is trying to overthrow her brother, although that would be awesome.

If an accident were to befall Jim...

J/K, can't wish ill will upon anybody.

I'd bet Jeanie wishes Jim well, hopes he starts "getting" it. I can't imagine her wishing he'd fail, or thinking she could do a better job - the only time she was snappy with him was when Jim criticizes Phil. She was defending her man.

Speaking of Phil, he's probably the reason why Jerry Buss is committed to handing things over to Jim. Because giving Jeanie the power would essentially be giving Phil the power, at least that's how Jerry must view it.

No matter how incompetent Jim may seem, a father is blinded by the love for his son.

"O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

2 Samuel 18:33
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#37 » by kobeaki » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

a few years ago during our last run, there was a fox sports behind " the jockstrap" series on the buss family...

what i took away from that is the original 4 buss kids were not very close, and are all very unlike each other both in looks and in personality, really almost all facets of life, what is interesting, is that of the two actively involved in the lakers, the boy jim, was the one who truly was a ne'r do well most of his life, drug issues, yada yada, and that may be where jerry is coming from, now that jim is involved, relegating or even just downright firing him, would be a major rejection of him...

the boy, if the above is true, probably shouldnt have been given a position of power in the first place...and why isnt johnny more involved in the org?
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
Vlade4life
Junior
And1: 0

Post#38 » by Vlade4life » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I don't get it, what would the sutures have changed about his recovery?
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#39 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 am

Vlade4life wrote:I don't get it, what would the sutures have changed about his recovery?

Nothing if his reported injury was true. Given that there is no reason to believe the Lakers lied about it, this just shows that Lazenby might be embellishing the truth a bit to fit the story.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers