ImageImageImageImageImage

80 million for 11 players: something gotta give !!!!

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

lakeshow248
Senior
And1: 1

80 million for 11 players: something gotta give !!!! 

Post#1 » by lakeshow248 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 am

Kobe, Pau, Odom, Vlad, Sasha, Luke, Fish, Ariza, Mihm, Bynum, Farmar.......Man something got to happen they still need third string pg, third string centre and a back up to Pau the replacement to Ronie.....very expensive--I know Odom's deal is done at 14. 5 nxt yrs and Ariza at 3 million but it will be a long year--and then Bynum will want to be re-uped.

Odom for Battier and Landry be a nice pipe dream but who knows--a lot is dependant on Bynum's heatlh and the money he gets next yrs. I 've seen his extension is pending on his health by september.......I would like to see Lamar get moved now, because once him and his salary is gone they just can't sign anybody but the MLE or LLE, maybe that is the plan--let him walk and save the cash that Bynum will get.... Me for one would like to move him for two role type players and maybe a salary dump.....then everybody gets what they want........
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Re: 80 million for 11 players: something gotta give !!!! 

Post#2 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:48 am

Problem is that we're also trying to win a championship this year and role players that can play PF, SF and a pick are not that easy to find for a guy who's not necessarily worth that much.

At most you'll be able to possibly replace Lamar's PF production and gain a first round pick in the process while taking on a SF contract in the process.

(Chicago could send Nocioni, Gooden, and a first round pick)

Then again at the end of this year it'll be basically a scenario of Nocioni+highly protected 1st versus re-signing Odom. At that point 25 mpg of Odom may be much better than 25 mpg of Nocioni.
Don't worry too much about the financial aspect just yet. We win it all and Buss will be happy to pay Odom and make the payroll approximately 85m next year to bring the full team back. He's rolling in the dough, it's time for him not to be cheap.

As for the best possible roster this season:

- Sign Fransisco Elson or Kwame
- Move Odom to backup PF for the most part and tell him not to lose weight so that he can play well there.
- Play Odom anywhere from 5-10 per game at SF if you really need to.
- Sign Michael Finley for the minimum as a fail safe option at SF.
- Put Joe Crawford on the roster.
- Put Dwayne Mitchell on the roster.

You're pretty much done. You've got no holes except possibly at SF where there's no clear best player but amongst the candidates you'll find someone sufficient. If you don't then we'll make a trade mid-season to find somebody.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#3 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:12 am

It's clearly starting to look like they have to deal off some body, Artest and Kenny Thomas salary combined is equal to LO's. But hey this is the price you pay for one giving guys contracts who don't deserve them ( Luke & Vlad)
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
redoctober9
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by redoctober9 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:01 am

The good thing is we got Sasha back thats what is very important. I guess Mitch is quite shrewd and intelligent a manager he is. He knows Ronny will not be that a fit with LA so he didnt go after Ronny but its another scenario with the machine because we clearly needed those 3's to clear out the floor and be spread open for KB24 and drew to terrorize it. Now I hope its not yet over cause we needed to sign more players. We still has something to spend to although not that much. We needed to bring Kwame Brown back, he'll be a perfect replacement for Ronny he is wide and has the height and knows the zen system and most of all Phil likes him so much. With Kwame backing drew we can put Pau in the 4 spot. Sign up Francisco Elson and let Chris Mihm off to Hawaii he is no longer needed. Elson is much more quicker and more mobile than Mihm. I guess we can have Michael Finlay for us but I guess we can play up with this line-up already. As for Lamar well we just wait and see. But if I may suggest, Mitch try to explore that Lamar Odom for Josh Smith trade deal I guess Josh don't want to go back to Atlanta anymore the hawks will be a perfect fit for LO cause this needed an initiator and LO fits well with it while Smithy can play huge 3 with us he can compliment more to Kobe while Pau and Drew concentrate down low. FISH, JORDAN, SASHA, KOBE, T-ARIZA, JOSH SMITH, BYNUM, GASOL, VLAD, LUKE, KWAME and Franciso Elson with this line up we can finally have the champaigne party by next june :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#5 » by Slava » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 am

Well, its all good if we win the c'ship next season or else, something's really gotta give.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#6 » by RJM » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:50 am

Finley would indeed be an interesting pickup for this team...hmm..
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#7 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:11 am

There will be no more pickups. Buss is already drinking at 80mil. A trade maybe, but not for any contract longer Odom's. Karl will probably come back at his 700-800k as 5th guard and maybe a C if Bynum or Mihm are not 100% come camp, like Mbenga for a pittance. That is 82m max for 13 players. (Toss in Joe Craw for 700k maybe if they go 14). See the problem for Buss? He's not Mark Cuban.

Fisher/Farmar/Karl
Kobe/Sasha/Joe
Odom/Ariza/Luke
Gasol/(Odom)/Vlad
Bynum/Mihm/Mbenga

jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#8 » by jax98 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 am

Both Kirk Hinrich & Andres Nocioni decline in value over time.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... /bulls.jsp

I think a trade of Hinrich/Nocioni for Odom plus contract filler would be excellent for both teams. You might end up actually paying a million more in 08/09, but in the long run, you have both players making closer to $9M & $7M respectively.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#9 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:00 pm

^ that (the fact they decline) doesn't matter. If let's say the Lakers made a trade today Odom+Ariza (I am guessing CHI would want Ariza over Mihm, both expire) for Hinrich+Noci here are the next 3 season guaranteed salaries for LA:

08-09 81 mil for 11 players
09-10 90 mil for 10 players figuring in 10 mil for Bynum, and Kobe keeps current contract, not incl holds
10-11 91 mil for 9 players not including any new deal for Farmar, not including holds

You see the lux tax problem by gaining any players who go longer than 09.

Personally, I'd like to see something done like this to solidify the question marks, but I just don't see Buss signing off such a huge tax, particularly with Kobe's contract opt and Bynum in limbo.
KingLakers
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#10 » by KingLakers » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 pm

What is this fascination with people on this board have with Hinrich and getting another PG. The Lakers already have Fish and Farmar what's the point in getting another PG especially one with as big a contract as Hinrich. The Lakers are good at PG right now the biggest need is finding someone to take Turiafs empty roster spot and maybe trying to find a taker for Vlad to relieve the Lakers financially.
GO LAKERS
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#11 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:13 pm

agree ^
I was just replying to bulls fans post - see my earlier post as I don't think LA will do anything with Odom, the roster is set (for better or worse) and cap heavy this year but starts to get better next year if they don't take any long deals (good or bad).
KingLakers
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#12 » by KingLakers » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 pm

As much as Artest or Deng can help the Lakers both of those guys seem unlikely right now. I think the Lakers want to test out the frontcourt of Odom, Pau and Bynum at least until the trade deadline and see how it does and go from there. RIght now if they can get rid of Vlad for a couple of picks and maybe get a guy like Sean Williams in another trade involving picks I think they'll call the offseason closed.
GO LAKERS
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#13 » by milesfides » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:56 pm

PG isn't a team need?

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708LAL5.HTM

2007-2008 PER differential:

PG: -0.1
SG: +8.5
SF: +0.9
PF: -0.1
C: +3.7

It's obvious we can improve certain positions, PG and SF.

PF will become an asset when Bynum returns, shifting Gasol to PF.

That essentially means we have two positions to think about, PG and SF.

The difference? We have depth at SF, several options, different looks, in Ariza, Walton, and Radamnovic. Also, Kobe can shift to SF, which he frequently does - the ultimate safety net.

PG, on the other hand, is a demanding position at which we have only two players, Fish and Farmar. Both have their limitations.

Now that Sasha has been signed, there's no reason why we shouldn't use him - he's a solid +2 in PER differential - at shooting guard. Why not start him?

Kobe slides to SF where he's more productive anyways - SF problem solved.

Then Odom is expendable, and we can use him to address our weakness at PG.

Last season, Hinrich didn't play well. I'm assuming it was a down year due to all the crap that's been going on in Chicago. If we trade for him and he goes back to 06-07 form, when he boasted a +6 differential, our lineup might look like this:

PG: +4 (Hinrich and Farmar averaged out)
SG: +4 (Vujacic boosted by Kobe)
SF: +8 (Kobe's average brought down by bench)
PF: +6 (Gasol brought down by bench)
C: +8 (Bynum held steady with Gasol)

Now that's called a balanced roster.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#14 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:49 am

Ireally like Nocioni, and Hinrich is a solid PG.
I'd do a trade for those guys using Lamar.
I just don't see why Chi would do that.
Formerly lakerRD
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#15 » by kno » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:40 am

milesfides wrote:PG isn't a team need?

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708LAL5.HTM

2007-2008 PER differential:

PG: -0.1
SG: +8.5
SF: +0.9
PF: -0.1
C: +3.7

It's obvious we can improve certain positions, PG and SF.

PF will become an asset when Bynum returns, shifting Gasol to PF.

That essentially means we have two positions to think about, PG and SF.

The difference? We have depth at SF, several options, different looks, in Ariza, Walton, and Radamnovic. Also, Kobe can shift to SF, which he frequently does - the ultimate safety net.

PG, on the other hand, is a demanding position at which we have only two players, Fish and Farmar. Both have their limitations.

Now that Sasha has been signed, there's no reason why we shouldn't use him - he's a solid +2 in PER differential - at shooting guard. Why not start him?

Kobe slides to SF where he's more productive anyways - SF problem solved.

Then Odom is expendable, and we can use him to address our weakness at PG.

Last season, Hinrich didn't play well. I'm assuming it was a down year due to all the crap that's been going on in Chicago. If we trade for him and he goes back to 06-07 form, when he boasted a +6 differential, our lineup might look like this:

PG: +4 (Hinrich and Farmar averaged out)
SG: +4 (Vujacic boosted by Kobe)
SF: +8 (Kobe's average brought down by bench)
PF: +6 (Gasol brought down by bench)
C: +8 (Bynum held steady with Gasol)

Now that's called a balanced roster.

I still dont understand why Phil and the gang have yet to even try and start Kobe at SF.

The lineup you put up above pos-chi trade would be badass. WHat more could you want in return for Lamar? You get a tri-destined PG in Hinrich, and a tough nosed, rugged SF n Nocioni.

PG - Hinrich/Fish/Farmar
SG - Sasha/Ariza
SF - Kobe/Nocioni/Luke
PF - Gasol/Vlad
C - Bynum/MLE?

Lakers would definitely need to add another PF/C. I doubt Mbenga will be enough, unless the team wants to go small and get Pau in as the C.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#16 » by Slava » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:52 am

^^ Precisely.

Miles has been talking about the PG need for like ever since I've signed up here and dudes obviously talking the truth. We've been trying to stop the bleeding temporarily with several options like Smush, Sucky Atkins and now Fisher, none of them as capable setting the offense as a true PG would be. As a result, Kobe's been having to double up, relinquishing his scoring efficiency in the process. Hinrich could stop the patch up work and prove a long term solution for us.

Nocioni is a rugged SF, can spread the floor and stays in the paint most the time either trying to alter shots in the defensive end or looking to get second chance opportunities on offense. If you are looking at change, Chicago is a great trade partner and this is a pretty good deal for both sides. I wouldn't be reluctant to part with Farmar in the process either. Hinrich/Fisher is a nice combo at PG.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#17 » by CableKC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Maybe you guys can give me a better perspective of your SalaryCap situation for the 2009-2010 season. Assuming that Odom isn't resigned or traded for additional players that have contracts that last beyond the 2008-2009 season ( thus adding additional Salary to the 2009-2010 salarycap ).....checking the Lakers SalaryCap situation next season from DraftExpress at http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-player-salaries/team/Lakers/....it looks like the Lakers have 6 players under contract ( assuming that the Lakers pickup Farmar's Team option ) at a cost of $55 mil.

What's the MAX Contract that the Lakers can offer Bynum?

I'm guessing it's a 6 year contract....I'm just not sure how much each year would be.

Sorry...I'm not trolling or anything....I'm just curious. I didn't realize this until I saw the article about postponing Bynum's extension to September....but 'm guessing that the likely cost of getting Artest that the Kings will dump on the Lakers ( specifically adding Kenny Thomas ) may add would make it even harder to extend Bynum without going over the Luxury Tax. As a casual observer of the rumors of Artest going to the Lakers.....I always thought that taking on Kenny Thomas would have been worth the cost at getting a player like Artest.....but it didn't even dawn on me that you guys had to extend/resign Bynum next season.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#18 » by milesfides » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:20 am

The Lakers would be paying luxury tax anyways, even if Lamar expires.

What isn't reflected on the draftexpress website is Sasha's 5m a year extension. Even if the Lakers renounce Farmar (unlikely), Ariza, Karl, and everybody else, Kobe, Gasol, Bynum (at least 10+), Radman, Fish, Sasha, Walton all add up to around the luxury tax threshold, pushing 70m.

This is probably the biggest reason why the Lakers might consider Kenny Thomas a deal-breaker, especially because Artest would probably demand a large contract himself when he's eligible next year.

The luxury tax is why the Lakers let Turiaf go, imo, even though I believe the Lakers won't be bringing Odom back.

So what can the Lakers do? How do you improve the team while operating within the constraints of the luxury tax.

In my opinion, Hinrich and Nocioni is a good basketball deal because they address team needs.

Unfortunately, they also make too much money collectively, like 18m. Which is a deal breaker for the Lakers...unless they get to unload Radmanovic. For the Bulls, that's a deal breaker...unless they get Farmar included.

For the Bulls, they save a ton of money, even by taking back Radmanovic, but they also get a good young PG in Farmar. Hinrich would always be limited at shooting guard, and Nocioni is a very high priced backup if the Bulls extend Luol Deng. They also get to test drive Odom, and they have the luxury of choosing whether to extend him as their PF or not.

For the Lakers, a resigned Odom (or a replacement), Radmanovic, and an extended Farmar would most likely exceed the 17-18m that Hinrich and Nocioni cost them. The latter would probably serve the team better, and save them money.

The Lakers will continue to be in luxury tax territory as long as they keep three max guys in Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum.

If either Kobe or Bynum takes a paycut, especially Kobe, it'll help...but that's unfair to expect from player.

The luxury tax is just a reality that team is trying to minimize.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers