Official Sun Yue Thread

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Official Sun Yue Thread 

Post#1 » by ChocolateThundr » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:19 am

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/ ... -2008.html

I just went to the link EE posted on another thread and saw this.

I hope he gets minutes (although unlikely knowing Phil) just because I want to see the biggest lineup in the NBA, and do we even have enough spots?

Sun 6-9, Kobe 6-6, Lamar 6-10, Pau 7-0, Bynum 7-1

He will compete with starting point guard Derek Fisher and backup Jordan Farmar for playing time.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Re: Sun Yue is comming over 

Post#2 » by what would jack bauer do? » Fri Aug 8, 2008 8:50 am

Awesome, this guy is incredibly fun to watch. I can't wait to see the game vs China to see how he's developed since last year. Hopefully he's gotten stronger and has become a better defender. He's shown he has some good shot blocking ability, but I want to see him round out his defense and become an option for guarding the 1, 2, and maybe the 3 position. You can already tell he's going to be legit on offense. Hopefully he turns out to be a Luke Walton-esque player in the triangle offense, but obviously he could be much more of a factor for our fast break basketball with his ridiculous passing ability and athleticism. Luke ain't half bad for a 2nd round pick and if Yue develops the strength he needs he'll have a much higher ceiling than Luke.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#3 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 9:08 am

Thats it. He will win ROY and help us win a championship as magic did his rookie season.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#4 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Fri Aug 8, 2008 9:12 am

hell yeah another soft player thats what im taking about. Lakers baby 09 champs
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#5 » by what would jack bauer do? » Fri Aug 8, 2008 9:34 am

Nobody is saying Yue will be a rotation player off the bat, but he's a damn good project for the next couple years. He doesn't fill that need for a stopper at the 3 that we've all been praying for, but we got Odom and Ariza to experiment with there. Besides, I think Yue could fill a need on this team. If he's capable of guarding the quicker point guards by using his length to his advantage he could be useful in pinch situations kind of how we used Tyron Lue against Iverson.... except maybe it would be more like how Phoenix used Marion on Tony Parker.. I was thinking Lyndsey Hunter would be an awesome signing for that role, but Yue sure ain't a bad alternative.
WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#6 » by WCDYNASTY » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm looking forward to see this guy in a Lakers uniform. Could be great off the bench.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#7 » by hermes » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:12 pm

ya it will be tough for him to get a lot of minutes but we got him over here now
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:31 pm

hermes wrote:ya it will be tough for him to get a lot of minutes but we got him over here now

Disagree.

There is no way both Farmar and Fisher play all 82 games again, which makes it easier to get minutes since he is our only other option.

It's about damn time we signed him up though.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#9 » by Erik Eleven » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:55 pm

Even if Phil just gives him five minutes at the end of blow out games, Sun Yue generated revenue will pay for the luxury tax. Good move. Finally.
joe.linnen
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by joe.linnen » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:06 pm

SF:Odom/Ariza/Walton
PF:Gasol/Radmanovic
C:Bynum/Mihm
SG:Bryant/Vujacic
PG:Fisher/Farmar/Yue

I like it, but not the back up center or power forward
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#11 » by laduane1 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:38 pm

Lets not give him the ROY award yet. Lets just see if he really is the player we have read about. Plus that is against players who are not NBA quality. I do like his size. Not sure he is a point guard at that size. Maybe a point forward.
Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Minhee » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:51 pm

Wonder why only a 2 year deal? 2nd rounder with 3 year contracts can have bird rights...am I correct? Not totally sure on that one...just using Ronny and Ellis as an example. We didn't acquire Luke's bird rights until after he second 2 year contract.

I doubt he will do much for us, I have a feeling Phil will continue to play Fisher and Farmer. But our guard rotation is pretty set. However, the PF/C situation is pretty lame. If and when Odom or Bynum goes down we are SOOOO ROYALLY SCREWED. I believe Odom played all 82 games last year? Doubt it happens again. Gasol and especially Bynum will bound to miss some games as well. I hope we still sign Mbenga for a backup 5 spot.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#13 » by milesfides » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:42 pm

sun yue = Odom's replacement
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Post#14 » by lakerfan10770 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:56 pm

Minhee wrote:Wonder why only a 2 year deal? 2nd rounder with 3 year contracts can have bird rights...am I correct? Not totally sure on that one...just using Ronny and Ellis as an example. We didn't acquire Luke's bird rights until after he second 2 year contract.

I doubt he will do much for us, I have a feeling Phil will continue to play Fisher and Farmer. But our guard rotation is pretty set. However, the PF/C situation is pretty lame. If and when Odom or Bynum goes down we are SOOOO ROYALLY SCREWED. I believe Odom played all 82 games last year? Doubt it happens again. Gasol and especially Bynum will bound to miss some games as well. I hope we still sign Mbenga for a backup 5 spot.

After 2 years without changing teams as a free agent a team would have "Early Bird Rights" to said player. In other words, the Lakers could sign Sun Yue to a contract after 2 seasons starting at a maximum of the average salary (approximately the MLE). After 3 years a team would have "Full Bird Rights". So the 2 year deal is not a big deal, unless he turns into a player deserving of more than the MLE, then they may be screwed. But that is so unlikely it is laughable to even consider.

I wonder if he only got the standard vet min contract of $442,114 1st year & team option on the 2nd year for $736,420. Or did the Lakers dip into the MLE to give him a bit more?
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#15 » by 10scott10 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:40 pm

Minhee wrote:Wonder why only a 2 year deal? 2nd rounder with 3 year contracts can have bird rights...am I correct? Not totally sure on that one...just using Ronny and Ellis as an example. We didn't acquire Luke's bird rights until after he second 2 year contract.

two things.

after two eyars, you get Early bird rights which allow you to resign him, but to lesser amounts.

also, if one those guys goes down, we have last years team again. the one that made it to the finals.
we have more security than most teams if one of our core guys goes down, we still ahve a championship level team leftover.
Ming Kong! wrote:Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#16 » by Danny Darko » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:49 pm

Woot Yue

We get to see him play Kobe on Sunday. Even if he's like Sasha and takes a long time to develop, I'm happy we are going to at least give him some looks.

Flame me for liking him if you like, but I see no reason not to give him a legit chance. He has more than alot of guys who have sat their butts on our pine.
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#17 » by supaflash » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm excited as well, he looks good in the footage I've seen and with that size could be very effective. Could be Kukoc esque. Looking forward to seeing how he fares on Sunday.
ByNezzy
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#18 » by ByNezzy » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:17 pm

I don't get it :nonono: .... why does everybody have a boner for this guy? I've seen countless amounts of video possible and I don't see it :banghead:
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#19 » by RJM » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:29 pm

NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#20 » by NetsForce » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vm5VxgL ... re=related

Wow, that guy got annihilated by Yue...