ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Pau's rascist pic affect his popularity?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Will Pau's rascist pic affect his popularity? 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:26 pm

I believe we have all seen Spains tacky group photo by now, I was wondering if this will affect hi popularity in L.A. where there are quite a bit of Asians. I am half Chinese and I took offense to the pic, I'm just wodering how L.A. Asian community is going to react.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Re: Will Pau's rascist pic affect his popularity? 

Post#2 » by semi-sentient » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:53 pm

The word "racist" is being used far too loosely these days.

The photograph that they took was in poor taste, to be sure, but there is nothing racist about it. Have they come out and said that they hate or are superior to the Chinese? If not, then you can't say what they did was racist.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#3 » by Danny Darko » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm

No, I don't think it will in the long run. I was only pissed for a half second. He apologized, he's our player, he'll be fine.

Remember the *cough kobe cough* incident? That was worse.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#4 » by crazyeights » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 pm

That's an interesting moral debate...what is worse accusations of _________ or racism? :lol: (but don't really debate that).

I think semi-sentiment might be on the right track here as well, but I guess it's all how you, personally, define racism.

Edit: Who can we turn to through these tough times?
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#5 » by laduane1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 am

Ever action has a reaction. Kobe is still paying for his criminal trial, he lost some sponsers and he will never get them back. Magic got the HIV many years ago. I bet that turned many off. James Worthy got busted for trying to get a lady for sex in Houston many years ago. I bet his wife or family had some words for him. There are a lot of other examples, but we all do things we regret and hope time can heal all wounds. Pau might get some boo's, but when he hits the winning shot to beat a team or goes for 20-20 in a game. Fans forget. Yes it was not a good idea. But come training camp, we will be talking players, teams, roster, ect. Not one pic that was a bad idea.
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by DubaLakers » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:35 am

The Chinese didn't have as much of a problem with it as the American press did according to NBC.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#7 » by milesfides » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:58 am

I think there's a distinction between a personal indiscretion (Kobe) and a racist gesture while posing for a photo circulated by a national newspaper. Kobe didn't pose for a latimes photo encouraging infidelity.

I don't think it's appropriate in our human condition to compare offenses, but there is a distinction.

There's also a difference in that Kobe was absolutely skewered for his mistake, his name dragged through the mud (still going on to this day), people unjustly considering him a rapist, reporters keeping Colorado over Kobe's head, etc. Kobe was and probably still is the most hated athlete in America.

Now if Pau is booed and hears "RACIST!" chants in every forum in America for the next 5 years, if reporters write and talk about his racist gesture every other article for the next 5 years, if Pau is depicted in a Klu Klux Klan outfit burning crosses, then OK, we can compare Pau situation to Kobe's. And while the rape charge against Kobe was dropped, the photos of the Spanish team are proudly circulating in national newspapers. Very big distinction, imo.

Regarding Pau's popularity, I think most asian fans wouldn't care. Many asians seem to acknowledge that the photo was "messed up" and definitely "racist," but most don't perceive the racist gesture as malicious.

(As an aside, I personally know a close friend who went to Africa on a medical missions trip. As he was helping the impoverished people in the area, some kids would yell "wwwwaaaaah" and do bruce lee kicks in the air. Consider this - somebody sacrificing his time and money to help these people, and receiving racist taunts from the very people he was treating. Of course it hit a nerve, because many asians growing up outside of Asia receive these same taunts while growing up. He got into a lot of fights because of it, including giving a rugby opponent a serious concussion. Anyways, did he know these kids were just ignorant? Did he know that the racism was absolutely harmless to him? Yes, but when you're the victim of racism, it's hard to be the bigger man - that's what all these people don't realize, because they haven't experienced racism. When you see racism directed at you, you want to respond with violence. This is the basic human response. The irony was outrageous and almost unbearable, but instead of doing anything stupid or going back home, he overcame the initial anger and offense and helped many fellow human beings, through, in his own words, the "grace of Jesus Christ, who endured far more for much less." That might offend some people, but I love this story.)

And that's why many Chinese (and other asians) don't really care. Spain is hardly a threat to their well-being. Many Chinese people consider their country the center of the world, not unlike Americans. Are white Americans outraged when some people around the world refer to them as "white devils," "fat yankees," etc.?

They largely don't care, because they don't really matter to them.

Lastly, the biggest problem I have with Pau was the pseudo apology. Kobe unequivocally apologized and expressed deep remorse and regret. Immediately.

Considering that the entire Spanish team - both men and women - posed for the photos, considering the newspaper refuses to pull the ad, I think those hint at a much bigger problem than Pau's popularity. It reeks of denial on a massive scale. I'm not offended so much as perplexed, intrigued by the Spanish parties' responses and reactions.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. I still love Pau, but I'll kick down the barrier of cultural respect by saying this:

You can't defend Spanish attitudes toward this racist gesture while expressing your own qualms about doing it.

It's either one or the other, and your apology exhibits a huevos-lacking cognitive dissonance.

Pau, I'll still cheer for you because you're a Laker and I don't think you're a racist; just a pushover, which is now true both literally and figuratively.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#8 » by TonyMontana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:22 am

Honestly skip Pau and his team for what they did.
As far as Pau, like I said in the past.
Im a fan of the name in the front of the Jersey not the BACK.
To me it was wrong and uncalled for, Pau did his half ass apology and we can only take it for what its worth.
All I know is his ASS better not ever go to Panda Express when he gets back to LA.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#9 » by NOODLESTYLE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 am

Maybe. If anything, Vic the Brick from Am570 is supposedly going to confront Pau Gasol about this situation. I'm thinking Pau Gasol will make a more sincere apology because of the Asian/Asian-American population in Southern California, and people will move on.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#10 » by hermes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:08 am

does it matter how popular he is? i'll be satisfied if he can still play great
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#11 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:59 am

no. who cares its just a freaking picture.
monk302
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#12 » by monk302 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 pm

I found it interesting that Chinese newspapers didn't release the photos. Pau's played in this country long
enough to know what racism is all about. I hope his Laker teammates give him a little hell about the photo. :crazy:
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#13 » by chefy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:22 pm

I think it's just a bad sense of humor, I think what they're trying to say is "china here we come"
blix
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#14 » by blix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:46 pm

semi-sentient wrote:The word "racist" is being used far too loosely these days.

The photograph that they took was in poor taste, to be sure, but there is nothing racist about it. Have they come out and said that they hate or are superior to the Chinese? If not, then you can't say what they did was racist.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#15 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:02 pm

If his own fans repeatedly keep coming up with heavy handed thread titles like this one, yes -- it will eventually become a problem.
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#16 » by lukeridenour » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:23 am

gasol was man enough to admit what he did was wrong. i think thats a start.
Manu Ginobili:

* Italian League Championship: 2001
* Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
* Euroleague: 2001
* Americas Championship: 2001
* NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
* Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by El Hardee » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:If his own fans repeatedly keep coming up with heavy handed thread titles like this one, yes -- it will eventually become a problem.
It is what it is, I dont see whats so "heavy handed" about the title. Maybe if his fans werent such blind homers they would see just how wrong that flick was, but if you arent asian I guess you wouldnt find it very offensive.

"Sometimes you have to get your hero's sack out of yo eyes to see clearly" - El Hardee
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#18 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 am

I'm Asian and I think it was hilarious. I never laughed so hard..
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by El Hardee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 am

The Laker Kid wrote:I'm Asian and I think it was hilarious. I never laughed so hard..
I grew up in Lincoln Heights (northeast L.A.) and faced alot of ridicule being that I look full Mexican yet was raised by my Chinese mom and grandparents. It wasnt one bit funny to me. I hope Pau does the right thing and gives a formal apology to the Asian Community of L.A. I dont mean to be so angry about this but if they were in black face paint to mock Africans the world would have went bezerk.
ahwi_quacoe
Senior
And1: 3

Post#20 » by ahwi_quacoe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 pm

ome kids would yell "wwwwaaaaah" and do bruce lee kicks in the air.

That's hilarious , but only cause I'm from Africa and I know how ignorant these little kids in the village would have been. THe difference is with those kids there is no malicious or Superiority complex associated with the gesture. They are professing their fascination with Karate flicks and the people they see do them best. Spain on the other hand is known for their racist remarks to players on their own soccer club teams. Making Monkey noises and stuff because players are black and comparing them to apes ? Spanish , and the portuguese are the instigators of Racist ideals and caste systems imposed in other countries. From the inquisition to slavery , this is their legacy .

Return to Los Angeles Lakers