ImageImageImageImageImage

La explosion de Pau Gasol

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jugoplastika89-90-91
Junior
And1: 0

La explosion de Pau Gasol 

Post#1 » by Jugoplastika89-90-91 » Mon Sep 1, 2008 3:29 pm

This is old Barca`s game, you can see Pau Gasol`s breakout game when he showed his talent for first time to the world.

March 2001 @ Malaga

Barcelona - Real Madrid 80-77
MVP Pau Gasol 25 pts + 6 rebs

You can also see some really nice moves by former Jazz player Raul Lopez, white shirt, number 14.

Video: http://acbtv.acb.com/video/815

LA fans, it`s time to get a ring finally! Right?! 8-)
ImageImage
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Re: La explosion de Pau Gasol 

Post#2 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 1, 2008 5:46 pm

Hmm...He looked almost like a small forward at times. Screw it, let's just play Pau at SF. Problem solved.
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#3 » by ChocolateThundr » Mon Sep 1, 2008 5:58 pm

Hmm, Gasol got 6 rebounds, he still gets 6 rebounds now
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 1, 2008 7:03 pm

Actually for his career, Pau averages 8.6 rpg. He averaged 9.3 in the playoffs, 10.2 in the finals...so enough with the 6.0 rebounding bull****.
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#5 » by AceFresh » Mon Sep 1, 2008 7:17 pm

10.2?
That's It?
stood-amire
Junior

Post#6 » by stood-amire » Mon Sep 1, 2008 7:41 pm

Duenas dude is pretty scary, lol.
DFC Pride
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 1, 2008 7:45 pm

Is that the guy with the hairy shoulders?
stood-amire
Junior

Post#8 » by stood-amire » Mon Sep 1, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes thats him, and he has freaky head, really big.
DFC Pride
Jugoplastika89-90-91
Junior

Post#9 » by Jugoplastika89-90-91 » Mon Sep 1, 2008 9:28 pm

:lol: :D @ all those comments. :)

crazyeights wrote:Hmm...He looked almost like a small forward at times. Screw it, let's just play Pau at SF. Problem solved.

Yes, he used to play sometimes at SF in Barcelona and in his early days with Memphis.
215, 216 cm tall small forward, wow. The tallest SF ever?

All in all, Gasol >>> Walton at SF. :lol:
8-)
ImageImage
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by ChocolateThundr » Tue Sep 2, 2008 12:13 am

crazyeights wrote:Actually for his career, Pau averages 8.6 rpg. He averaged 9.3 in the playoffs, 10.2 in the finals...so enough with the 6.0 rebounding bull****.

dude calm the heck down

i wasnt talking about his average, i was talking about a dude that is 7 ft should get at least 10 rebounds every game

pau still has some of those 6 rebound games, which imo is unacceptable
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#11 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Sep 2, 2008 5:16 am

When he gets back from R&R, Hodges should drill him hard on his mid-range to long-range shot before the season starts. He needs to stretch his shooting range a little bit to be truly effective next to Bynum.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by crazyeights » Tue Sep 2, 2008 5:18 am

:lol: "unacceptable?" I guess now that you've got that on the record things will change.

Also just because Pau is 7 feet tall doesn't mean he's a center or even a power forward. Did you watch the video? Pau looked like a 3. That's where he started and it's still very much part of who he is as a player. Dude's a small forward with the height of a center. That's what makes him unique.

You realize that last year only 10 guys averaged double digits in rebounding? According to you not even Kevin Garnett is an acceptable rebounder.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#13 » by tkb » Tue Sep 2, 2008 7:49 am

Erik Eleven wrote:When he gets back from R&R, Hodges should drill him hard on his mid-range to long-range shot before the season starts. He needs to stretch his shooting range a little bit to be truly effective next to Bynum.

Actually I don't think Gasol really needs to work a lot on range. He already has range out to 20 feet. What I would like to see is Bynum be a real threat out to about 10 feet.

Either way, hopefully we'll see them pan out as a nice twin towers duo like Chamberlain/Thurmond (deemed a failure, but they did make the Finals), Olajuwon/Sampson, Robinson/Duncan. Obviously I don't expect Pau and Andrew to be as good as all those players on an individual level, but at the same time neither of them are going to be asked to be the best player on the team for some years since we have Kobe. I do think that they will work very well together though. Gasol is excellent when he faces up and uses his mid range game, and that fits Bynum's game very, very well.
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by ChocolateThundr » Tue Sep 2, 2008 2:04 pm

crazyeights wrote::lol: "unacceptable?" I guess now that you've got that on the record things will change.

Also just because Pau is 7 feet tall doesn't mean he's a center or even a power forward. Did you watch the video? Pau looked like a 3. That's where he started and it's still very much part of who he is as a player. Dude's a small forward with the height of a center. That's what makes him unique.

You realize that last year only 10 guys averaged double digits in rebounding? According to you not even Kevin Garnett is an acceptable rebounder.

Garnett is acceptable as he is a ferocious rebounder, he averaged 9.2 and has consistently averaged at least 10 rebounds in his entire career, thats much better than Pau's 7.8. And yes, Pau rebounded better in the finals but again Garnett was much better. And Im not talking about Gasol's offensive game, Im talking about his rebounding only.
Does it matter that he plays like a sf? No because Im not referring to his offensive skills, which i like. He played center last year, he is longer than most of the centers that he played against, I just dont see how he cant get 10 or AROUND 10 every night consistently. Im not denigrating Gasol, Im saying he needs to learn how to box out, and from the video of his first game, I conclude that he hasn't improved his rebounding, or at least his boxing out skills.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by crazyeights » Wed Sep 3, 2008 12:42 am

It doesn't matter if he plays like a SF? That's entirely the point. Pau Gasol isn't a center. He isn't a banger. He never will be. Sure, he should be better at rebounding...but you act as if 10 rpg is something simple, when really there aren't a lot of guys who average it.

I'm saying: curb your expectations to the player's game and not just his height.
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by ChocolateThundr » Wed Sep 3, 2008 1:55 am

crazyeights wrote:It doesn't matter if he plays like a SF? That's entirely the point. Pau Gasol isn't a center. He isn't a banger. He never will be. Sure, he should be better at rebounding...but you act as if 10 rpg is something simple, when really there aren't a lot of guys who average it.

I'm saying: curb your expectations to the player's game and not just his height.

You are right, Pau isnt a center, but he did play the center position last year with Bynum out. His natural position is PF, everyone including me and you know that. Im not expecting every 7 ft guy to get at least or close to 10 rebounds every game. But with a talented and smart guy like Gasol, Im not asking the 'complicated' or the impossible.

Maybe I am setting the bar way too high for Gasol, and he at this point probably wont improve that much at his rebounding. It doesnt really matter as his strengths; offense, passing, underrated man to man defense, far outweigh his weaknesses.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by crazyeights » Wed Sep 3, 2008 4:47 am

What can I say? I agree. Now can we both agree it's been a long summer? :lol:
TheKop
Ballboy

Post#18 » by TheKop » Wed Sep 3, 2008 10:08 pm

:D :D :D
Nadal is a Laker fan 8-)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 3, 2008 10:27 pm

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers