And1: 5,313

Article: State of the Cap: Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#1 » by JordansBulls » Mon Sep 8, 2008 7:58 pm

Source: NBADraft

2008/09 Los Angeles Lakers Payroll: $75.9 million
2008/09 Estimated NBA Salary Cap: $58 million
Roughly: $17.9 million over cap

The Good
The Lakers needed to add an all-star caliber player to their line-up in order to go anywhere in the playoffs and they needed to do it without giving up anything of value. They did just that when they fooled the Grizzlies into giving up Pau Gasol for little more than table scraps. They didn't have to give up Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum, they didn't even have to give up good, young role players like Luke Walton and Sasha Vujacic

The Bad
Now there is talk that Bynum wants a five-year, $80 million dollar extension. Are you really comfortable paying that to a guy who has only played at a high level for 35 games and is coming off a lengthy injury? I mean, that is Dwight Howard money, and Bynum is no Dwight Howard.

The Future:
Even though the addition of Pau Gasol was a catalyst and Kobe Bryant got all the attention, the real reason for the Laker's resurgence was the improvement of many of their role players. Farmar, Derek Fisher, Sasha Vujacic, Vladimir Radmanovic, Luke Walton, all those guys were giving the team quality minutes and making plays when needed.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Re: Article: State of the Cap: Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#2 » by kno » Mon Sep 8, 2008 8:17 pm

I guess there's no bad at all then, since what you quoted from the article is completely false. Bynum has not asked for anything. He hasnt even talked about contracts.

All is good right now in Laker land.

Kobe>Jordan

:wave:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#3 » by hermes » Mon Sep 8, 2008 8:46 pm

Roughly: $17.9 million over cap

eh whats 18 million among friends

also you forgot this

Grade: A-
:rock:
JazKeyz
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#4 » by JazKeyz » Mon Sep 8, 2008 10:18 pm

"The Bad
Now there is talk that Bynum wants a five-year, $80 million dollar extension. Are you really comfortable paying that to a guy who has only played at a high level for 35 games and is coming off a lengthy injury? I mean, that is Dwight Howard money, and Bynum is no Dwight Howard."

-Absolutely agree with you. Bynum is nowhere near that kind of money at all. he didnt even have a good half of a season, and he wants to get paid like he's been playing at this high level for years. no way. But the only that them being over the cap is worth it is if they win the championship. Otherwise they may have to trade some pieces this year or offseason.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#5 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Sep 8, 2008 10:25 pm

yawn
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Sep 8, 2008 11:28 pm

JordansBulls, you really scratched your head hard on this topic huh ? Like we don't know what OUR cap status is. Man you've really out done yourself on this one.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by kno » Tue Sep 9, 2008 12:01 am

JazKeyz wrote:
-Absolutely agree with you. Bynum is nowhere near that kind of money at all. he didnt even have a good half of a season, and he wants to get paid like he's been playing at this high level for years. no way. But the only that them being over the cap is worth it is if they win the championship. Otherwise they may have to trade some pieces this year or offseason.

lol. Can you please enlighten us and quote Bynum when he said he wanted that type of money?

The whole Laker community will be ever-so gracious.

:pray:
JazKeyz
Ballboy

Post#8 » by JazKeyz » Tue Sep 9, 2008 12:23 am

That's what was written at the beginning of the article with the part that states the bad. I didnt writ that that's what whoever wrote this entry said. I'm just stating that if he did say that he's insane. WTF? If you noticed at the beginning I quoted that statement also so please get off my D***
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by kno » Tue Sep 9, 2008 1:18 am

JazKeyz wrote:That's what was written at the beginning of the article with the part that states the bad. I didnt writ that that's what whoever wrote this entry said. I'm just stating that if he did say that he's insane. WTF? If you noticed at the beginning I quoted that statement also so please get off my D***

I already addressed that part of the article in my first post.

Ill say it again: Bynum has refused to talk about his contract extension. so any notion of him demainding Dwight-type money is completely ludicrous.

Also, im not on your shtt. Its a message board, and you took a false statement as fact. Imma have to call you out on that.
JazKeyz
Ballboy

Post#10 » by JazKeyz » Tue Sep 9, 2008 1:38 am

whoa whoa whoa. i dont know that what the person who wrote this says is false. He quoted it from someone else so how am i supposed to know that? I didnt read what you wrote. I just stated what i felt about what the user who posted this. If it's false and all fine. i'm sorry for not acknowledging what you obviously felt needed to be said. Oops. Either way it's a ridiculous statement to make even if it is just hearsay
lakersfan182
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#11 » by lakersfan182 » Tue Sep 9, 2008 3:07 am

id like to know why Fish was put under "The Future" heading

Return to Los Angeles Lakers