kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

So "Bynum" is seeking 80mill extension? 

Post#1 » by kno » Tue Sep 9, 2008 9:38 pm

Per Wiretap:

Code: Select all

"Lakers' center Andrew Bynum is reportedly seeking an $80 million extension from the team, according to Orange County Register.

Bynum's agent David Lee is going to attempt to grab that amount from the Lakers with his client's injured knee no longer a problem. If the Lakers and Bynum don't come to terms on a deal before the Oct. 31 deadline, Andrew will become a restricted free agent next summer.

"If I handle my business on the court, the business off the court will be handled. All we can do is wait on that; that’s up to my agent to handle," Bynum said last week."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... extension/

I have yet to see an actual quote where Bynum has said himself anything about contract negotiations.

Is this anything more than a combination of a misworded wiretap headline (wouldnt be surprised at all), and an obnoxious agent?

Has anyone heard anything about finances coming out of Bynum's mouth yet? I sure havent.
JazKeyz
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: So "Bynum" is seeking 80mill extension? 

Post#2 » by JazKeyz » Tue Sep 9, 2008 10:10 pm

didnt we talk about this yesterday? I remember us getting into this a little bit yesterday. Like you said he has'nt specifically said this, but if he is saying it then bynum is out of his f***** mind. but if he does later on this year or next off season talk about having disputes over his contract and all we'll know whats really goiin on in this guys mind
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,674

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Tue Sep 9, 2008 10:13 pm

the media coverage on his contract demands are soooo exaggerated. all we know is that bynum said he'd be willing to take less money, and that his agent said he was simply talking as a 20 yr old. its understandable that his agent wouldn't want bynum to publicly talk about the type of money he'd settle for, but for some reason writers interpreted that as a maximum contract demand.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#4 » by Gerald3Wallace » Tue Sep 9, 2008 10:27 pm

if it takes 80 mil to keep bynum..go for it..but i believe he will take less money but his agent is a !@#
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#5 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Sep 9, 2008 10:41 pm

Im sure this report is not right, if it is though, it would be a terrible signing. You guys have no idea at all what you could be getting for bynum, and signing him to that kind of extension could become one of the biggest albatross contracts in the league.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Tue Sep 9, 2008 10:45 pm

no idea at all?

well for one the lakers would be getting a 7'1" 285 pound 9% body fat 21 yr old center. they'd be getting an elite rebounder, an elite shot blocker. they'd be getting someone who is automatic near the rim. they'd be getting someone with excellent hands, work ethic, and ability to turn criticism into a positive. they'd be getting a player that has played with a top 15 PER in the entire league for almost half a season on a first place team. this is all BEFORE going through an entire training camp and pre-season. i think they'd have some idea.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#7 » by bstein14 » Tue Sep 9, 2008 11:07 pm

As much as Lakers fans have talked up Bynum and made him out to be an untouchable player, why in the world would you guys be upset with him getting a Max contract?

You make it out like he's going to be a top 3 center for the next decade so $75 million over 5 years ($15 million) is right on course for what 90+% of Lakers fans have made this guy out to be.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by dockingsched » Tue Sep 9, 2008 11:12 pm

i wouldn't be upset. i just not like how its being portrayed as if he's making demands left and right. he said he wants to prove what his worth is on the court. he said that its not necessarily a max contract.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#9 » by That Nicka » Tue Sep 9, 2008 11:21 pm

I wouldnt be upset... Like dcash said, even if he doesnt turn out as good as we think he will be, we still know he will be one of the best rebounders and shotblockers in the league.. and will give us at least double digit scoring on elite efficiency.... Its not like if he would somehow turn into Jerome James, Erick Dampier or Kwame Brown after he signed.. At 21 he's already better than any of those guys ever were
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#10 » by Danny Darko » Tue Sep 9, 2008 11:27 pm

exactly it's not that he's not worth big money, it's that the reports. point to him saying if he takes care of business on court it his contract will take care of itself off court and basically misreport it like he's demanding money from us right now. He's not. The wiretap takes alot of liberties.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Sep 9, 2008 11:41 pm

dcash4 wrote:the media coverage on his contract demands are soooo exaggerated. all we know is that bynum said he'd be willing to take less money, and that his agent said he was simply talking as a 20 yr old. its understandable that his agent wouldn't want bynum to publicly talk about the type of money he'd settle for, but for some reason writers interpreted that as a maximum contract demand.
Exactly dcash, because from a negotiation stand point for the agent he'll be hampered in how he can go about the negotiations. In a nut shell Bynum will never clip himself like that again it's not good business. But this deal will get done and both sides will be equally satisfied.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by DubaLakers » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:00 am

The only thing that prevents me from giving an opinion on giving Andrew huge jack is injury. He's coming off one, and has accumulated very little PT. One thing I am sure about is his agent is about as smooth as a serrated knife.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#13 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 am

bstein14 wrote:As much as Lakers fans have talked up Bynum and made him out to be an untouchable player, why in the world would you guys be upset with him getting a Max contract?

You make it out like he's going to be a top 3 center for the next decade so $75 million over 5 years ($15 million) is right on course for what 90+% of Lakers fans have made this guy out to be.
Yeah just like you guys have thoughts of Kendrick Perkins being the defensive player of the year in you guys minds the way you guys pump him up. It amazing that any team in the East gets off a shot against him, I mean he soooo great on D and all. And who said Laker fans would be upset ? I know this for sure he'll have more offensive game then Perkins ever will.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Luxury
Junior
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Luxury » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:11 am

bstein14, it's like buying a brand new Mercedes-Benz. MSRP suggests that it cost $100,000. Would you straight out pay for it, or atleast negotiate a lower price?

Anyways to get back to the topic, I'm not surprised. You can't put the sole responsibility of the salary cap and tax on Bynum.
"Kobe Bryant.. is the greatest player in our era" -Dwyane Wade
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#15 » by Hold That » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:12 am

Don't matter regardless, if he's not sign before his RFA status, he's going to get a MAX contract from damn near every team that has the money to pay him.. Especially with his age, and how much he's improving.. Being only 4months older than Greg Oden.. Even with the injury concerns, if he continues to play at the level he did when he went out, MAX is inevitable.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#16 » by crazyeights » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 am

I wouldn't expect anything less than the max. But that's because I expect him to be a max-type player.

The Lakers should let him go into the season as an RFA and make him earn it. If he's going to command it, might as well get a little more drive out of him.

AB--stay healthy and get paid.
psyclone1982
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#17 » by psyclone1982 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:56 am

I agree, might as well let him go on his current contract, either way you can just match it next year, whats it matter if you pay him max this year or next year?
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by kno » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:04 am

psyclone1982 wrote:I agree, might as well let him go on his current contract, either way you can just match it next year, whats it matter if you pay him max this year or next year?

Even if the extension is signed today, thats what it is, an "extention".

He will still play on his current salary this upcoming season, regardless of his extension status.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:21 am

according to scoutingthenba.com (a site that is pretty damn informative and accurate), bynum level of play last year warranted a 16-17 million dollar salary per yr. give him his money.

http://scoutingthenba.com/blog/category/la-lakers/
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by kno » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:35 am

dcash4 wrote:according to scoutingthenba.com (a site that is pretty damn informative and accurate), bynum level of play last year warranted a 16-17 million dollar salary per yr. give him his money.

http://scoutingthenba.com/blog/category/la-lakers/

lol.

I was looking through that site, and for their season evaluation (keep in mind this was done two days ago), they have Bryant's value as an All Star level player, but not good enough to be an MVP Candidate, much less the MVP winner.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers