ImageImageImageImageImage

Practice Notes (Oct: 1st - Bynum, Powell, Ariza)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Practice Notes (Oct: 1st - Bynum, Powell, Ariza) 

Post#1 » by TylersLakers » Thu Oct 2, 2008 4:50 am

Couple interesting things at today's practice.

http://my.lakers.com/blogs/

Through three practices the only comment Andrew Bynum has on the stability of his surgically repaired knee is that it’s fine.

“Not even thinking about it. It’s 100% still. I haven’t had any pain or anything like that. The only thing I do have to do is design a better brace because it keeps kind of sliding down. It’s kind of annoying,” said the Lakers big man after today’s morning session. “I don’t have any fear anymore. If feels stronger. It feels better than last year. I don’t have any fear at all.”

Head Coach Phil Jackson characterized Bynum as “tired” during practice, but Andrew views that as Jackson trying to keep him motivated. “He always says that. When has he not said that. I think it’s just a little bit of a motivating factor to kind of keep me going.”

And another interesting thing... I knew my call on Josh Powell in the off-season was a stroke of genius!

On Josh Powell: “He’s impressed us a lot. He’s coming in playing hard. He’s got a lot of tenacity. He refuses to be boxed out. You’ve got to really put an effort into keeping him off the boards. He’s creating a lot of problems with our big guys, they know they’ve got a tiger down there after the rebound. He seems to have an idea of what we’re trying to do even though he’s only been here for one day. He seems relatively comfortable playing in our offense.”

It seems like Radmanovic is being pushed off the depth chart. I haven't heard of him at ALL so far, while Phil has been talking about Powell a lot. He called him a "prototypical" power forward on media day.

There's more in the link about Ariza's shooting as well. Positive news.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Re: Practice Notes (Oct: 1st - Bynum, Powell, Ariza) 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:08 am

i love hearing about powell being a force on the rebounding front. lakers really need that off the bench.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#3 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:11 am

it'd be great if Powell can play the Leon Powe role for us. We need that energy and rebounding off the bench for us
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#4 » by AceFresh » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:22 am

dcash4 wrote:i love hearing about powell being a force on the rebounding front. lakers really need that off the bench.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#5 » by ronnymac2 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:45 am

Not Powe...Turiaf!! lol If powell can replace some of what turiaf brought to the team, that'd be great. Every championship team needs that hustle guy who goes and grabs rebounds and finishes strong and brings energy and excitement. That was turiaf. We'll miss turiaf because he had actually developed a solid jumper and was a good passer, too, but if powell brings the other things ronny brought, I'll be happy.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:54 am

If Powell/Ariza turn out to be consistent contributors then Vlad/Luke/Lamar are on the table for the trade deadline IMO. There's just not going to be enough time for all these guys. Phil even commented on Giles the other day, said he was skinny but skilled.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#7 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Oct 2, 2008 6:18 am

dcash4 wrote:i love hearing about powell being a force on the rebounding front. lakers really need that off the bench.
Yes sirrrrrrrrrrr
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#8 » by ChocolateThundr » Thu Oct 2, 2008 12:25 pm

LOL at all of you jumping on the Powell bandwagon. When we signed him less than half of us believes basically he wont even make the team and that we need Turiaf. So far it seems what I and a handful of other ppl believed in was right.
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by ChocolateThundr » Thu Oct 2, 2008 12:28 pm

And I really do hope Powell takes Radman's spot as a backup at PF
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#10 » by tkb » Thu Oct 2, 2008 1:29 pm

ronnymac2 wrote:Not Powe...Turiaf!! lol If powell can replace some of what turiaf brought to the team, that'd be great. Every championship team needs that hustle guy who goes and grabs rebounds and finishes strong and brings energy and excitement. That was turiaf. We'll miss turiaf because he had actually developed a solid jumper and was a good passer, too, but if powell brings the other things ronny brought, I'll be happy.

I like the Powe comparison better.

Turiaf wasn't really that good as a rebounder. I loved his attitude and hustle, but he wasn't great at the glass. I mean, Pau Gasol isn't a great rebounder, but he's still better than Turiaf at that aspect of basketball. Last year, Powell pulled down over 2 more rebounds per 36 minutes than Turiaf did. Powell's 9.7 reb / 36 min is pretty solid.

If Powell can come in and be a menace on the glass, he's going to be a great, great role player for us, and I think he will do just that. We have way enough offensive firepower. We need role players who can be tough, secure rebounds and play hard-nosed defense. Powell does all that. The ultimate backup big I'd want is Paul Millsap, so hopefully Powell can play a little bit like him in limited minutes.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#11 » by Erik Eleven » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah, anything even remotely close to Maxiell, Millsap, Powe would be great. That's exactly what we need from Powell.
Verbal
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Verbal » Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm quite surprised that we got Powell so cheap.

Clippers are like Disney. :lol:
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#13 » by Danny Darko » Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:43 pm

ronnymac2 wrote:Not Powe...Turiaf!! lol If powell can replace some of what turiaf brought to the team, that'd be great. Every championship team needs that hustle guy who goes and grabs rebounds and finishes strong and brings energy and excitement. That was turiaf. We'll miss turiaf because he had actually developed a solid jumper and was a good passer, too, but if powell brings the other things ronny brought, I'll be happy.

Actually we're getting an upgrade in Powell. Ronny was a stiff on the boards despite his hustle.

So I guess no Karl then? I'd rather have him than some of the other useless scrubs out there, but I guess "Trust in Mitch" is the new campaign slogan these days, so I will.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,322

Post#14 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 2, 2008 10:16 pm

Danny Darko wrote:

Actually we're getting an upgrade in Powell. Ronny was a stiff on the boards despite his hustle.

So I guess no Karl then? I'd rather have him than some of the other useless scrubs out there, but I guess "Trust in Mitch" is the new campaign slogan these days, so I will.

yes but could powell hit that 20-footer and become our man cheerleader?
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#15 » by kno » Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:57 pm

ChocolateThundr wrote:LOL at all of you jumping on the Powell bandwagon. When we signed him less than half of us believes basically he wont even make the team and that we need Turiaf. So far it seems what I and a handful of other ppl believed in was right.

lol what?

Hardly anyone said anything negative about the signing. Virtually everyone approved of it.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=833229&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by ChocolateThundr » Fri Oct 3, 2008 12:13 am

Kno wrote:
ChocolateThundr wrote:LOL at all of you jumping on the Powell bandwagon. When we signed him less than half of us believes basically he wont even make the team and that we need Turiaf. So far it seems what I and a handful of other ppl believed in was right.

lol what?

Hardly anyone said anything negative about the signing. Virtually everyone approved of it.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=833229&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

fair enough

but people, both lakers and nonlakers fans, are pretty much saying that we will miss Turiaf. Maybe miss turiaf =/= dislike Powell. But what Im saying is that with Powell we improved on that backup PF position and we wont miss Turiaf.
andykeikei
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#17 » by andykeikei » Fri Oct 3, 2008 3:29 am

http://www.nba.com/lakers/multimedia/0708video.html
Video for 10/2.

At the end of the video Pau briefly talked about his role in offense
shawngoat23 wrote:I would say Walton's impact is Russell-esque, but he's really just a classical human being who defies comparison to anyone in the history of Western civilization.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers