Odom's salary misreported? Per Wiretap.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Odom's salary misreported? Per Wiretap. 

Post#1 » by Slava » Sun Oct 5, 2008 1:08 am

Lakers forward Lamar Odom will earn $11.4 million this season, not $14.1 million like is often reported.

$14.1 million is Odom's salary cup number, but only he's only being paid $11.4 million by Los Angeles this season.

Odom received money from a "trade kicker" clause in his contract after he was dealt from Miami, and that money was paid in a lump sum up-front.

For salary cap purposes, however, it is parceled out each year.

WIretap Link

Now how many of you think he's overpaid? $11.4 mil seems perfectly alright for a double double guy of his caliber to me.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Re: Odom's salary misreported? Per Wiretap. 

Post#2 » by LLcoleJ » Sun Oct 5, 2008 1:30 am

I believe its been more 'misinterpreted more than anything. I knew about his salary and trade kicker a while back, but it just never stuck with me. I forgot about it and assumed he was making 14+
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#3 » by Gerald3Wallace » Sun Oct 5, 2008 2:03 am

11 mil huh? im pretty sure dude wouldnt mind taking 10 mil a year
Hunter103
Assistant Coach
And1: 93

Post#4 » by Hunter103 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:05 am

The blurb on the team page under the pic says "Lakers forward Lamar Odom will earn $11."

Lakers got a DEAL! :lol:
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#5 » by iamworthy » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:33 am

Gerald3Wallace wrote:11 mil huh? im pretty sure dude wouldnt mind taking 10 mil a year

5 yrs 50 mill....deal!! :D
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#6 » by Slava » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:02 am

I'd love have that kind of a guy on my team for that kind of money. Make no mistake he does provide a double double most of the time and a great insurance if either of our big men miss any games. He has shown that he can play well alongside Gasol and also did a decent enough job with Bynum and for all his failings related to consistency, there aren't too many players with that attitude and ability that come for that money. Hell even Boris Diaw gets paid as much as Odom does and we all know the player he is in comparison.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#7 » by chefy » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:28 am

Lamar deserves that kind of money or maybe even more, but a 4th option does not
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#8 » by kno » Sun Oct 5, 2008 6:36 am

chefy wrote:Lamar deserves that kind of money or maybe even more, but a 4th option does not

Lamar is a 4th option, so your statement doesnt make much sense.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#9 » by Dr Aki » Sun Oct 5, 2008 7:57 am

Kno wrote:
chefy wrote:Lamar deserves that kind of money or maybe even more, but a 4th option does not

means that lakers shouldnt have to pay that much for a 4th option and that lamar should get that deal from other teams instead

but if lakers want to resign him for that much, who's to say a 4th option doesnt deserve that much?

btw... heres a question? how does this impact his trade value?

is his salary still count as 14.1mil against the cap and any deal needs to be +/- 25% of that? and that his new team need only pay whatever of 11.4mil is left?
Chubby Chaser
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Chubby Chaser » Sun Oct 5, 2008 8:09 am

Kno wrote:

I think he's stating that Lamar's skill set deserves that kind of money but not on the Lakers as a 4th option. On any other team Lamar is a 2nd or 3rd option at worst. But he is on the Lakers therefore it just doesn't seem possible that management would spend that kind of money on a 4th option.

I for one hope we keep Lamar, but I think he's going to have to take a major paycut for it to happen. For once since Shaq left we are in a situation, talent wise, where we do not have to desperately over pay for a player to come to the lakers, or stay with the lakers. As long as we keep our big time players in Kobe, Pau, and Bynum, the rest of our personnel moves will have to revolve around the idea of "right players, for the right price." And unfortunately Lamar at his current price does not fit that mold . If we do decide to let him go, I hope we trade him and get something valuable in return for him. Just letting someone like Lamar walk or letting his contract expire is simply unacceptable. Lamar is a very attractive trading chip with his versatility coupled with a big expiring contract. We could net a very good player or 2 good players that better fits our SF position. (Gerald Wallace anyone? 8-) I would love to have someone like him on our team. I've been drooling of having GW on our team in the triangle for a long time. I don't know how it would work, but if there's any way to get that done. It would just be AMAZING! ) OR, Buss just antes up and decides to pay the ridiculous pay roll. That's highly doubtful though. In the past he's payed big bucks for Superstars. But not for above average role players.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:24 pm

the trade kicker money is something that several posters brought up when discussing lamar's potential new contract.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#12 » by Erik Eleven » Sun Oct 5, 2008 7:00 pm

He's worth that money, without question. If he wants to re-sign long term for anywhere between $10M-12M per year, I think they'll do it.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers