Looks like Odom's days as a Laker is coming to an end

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Re: Looks like Odom's days as a Laker is coming to an end 

Post#21 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 am

who said lamar was out of shape? PHIL JACKSON

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/10/02/jackson-he’s-not-in-shape-lamar’s-not-ready-to-play/2043/
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#22 » by LAL4Life » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 am

That Nicka wrote:
My money has Lamar finishing this season as a Laker and beginning next season as a member of another organization

+1. I highly doubt Buss would be willing to trade LO for a longer contract with Bynum's upcoming extension and a new contract for Kobe looming.
Chubby Chaser
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Chubby Chaser » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:49 am

Danny Darko wrote:Well,

I agree Marion is out due to cost and free agency.

Despite the issue with learning the triangle, I'd wait until some teams start to tank, or players become unhappy like... Battier or bum bum bum Artest.

My non western conference option would be Wallace in Charlotte or Prince. Really Prince is more durable and fits the need better.

God, I've been praying for Odom for Gerald Wallace for years. I don't think anyone else would make a more perfect Pippen To Kobe's Jordan than Gerald Wallace. Gerald Wallace is already a freak, but him in the triangle would be insane.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#24 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 am

TonyMontana wrote:
ChickenPox wrote:LINK

Lamar Odom, Lakers
Odom played the role of scapegoat for angry Lakers fans after L.A. lost to the Celtics in the Finals. He didn't help his cause by showing up at camp out of shape. And he seemed to dig himself an even bigger hole when he criticized Phil Jackson for suggesting Odom might best help the Lakers by coming off the bench this season. In the past few days, Odom has backtracked and said he'd do what was best for the team, but most in the league think it's only a matter of time before the Lakers find a new home for him.

The team spent some time this summer looking at a few deals, but nothing materialized. Look for the Lakers to restart those talks sooner rather than later. Jackson's triangle offense is notoriously hard for recently acquired players to learn, and given Odom's impending free agency, now seems to be the right time to move him.

A Marion-for-Odom swap might make the most sense for both parties involved, though I've heard there's interest in Odom in quite a few cities, including Cleveland, Chicago, New Jersey, New York and Orlando.

It mentions even with Odom becoming a happy camper recently; the league thinks hes gonna be shipped in the up-coming months.

And to think Sac town is trying to run it as their primary offense.........
But Marion is going to happen, thats a promise.
...and Tony Montana always tells the truth, even when he lies.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#25 » by Curtis Lemansky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 am

That Nicka wrote:I'd love to get Prince but why would Detroit take on Odom with Sheed, Dyess, Maxiell, Amir.....

Only way that would work is something like this:

Odom, Turkoglu -> Detroit
McDyess, Samb -> Orlando
Prince -> LAL

Fisher
Kobe
Prince
Gasol
Bynum

Billups
Rip
Turkoglu
Odom
Sheed

Nelson
Pietrus
Lewis
McDyess
Howard

Thats a terrible deal for Orlando and a wonderful trade for detroit.

Hedo for Mcdyess and Samb? Are you kidding me?
Prince+Mcdyess+Samb for Odom+Turkoglu ?
:lol:
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#26 » by hermes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 pm

ah ESPN fueling the trade rumor fires
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#27 » by lakersfanatic » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:09 pm

They make it sound like as if LO and Upper Mgmt is having this big fight and now they're going to get rid of him. They're just trying to put more fuel into the small burning flame. Leave it to the media....

If indeed this were to happen...

Can't with marion - he wants a big contract - and he's 31yrs old
Vince carter? - too injure prone, i don't see that spark in him like before

It'll be hard since we're heading toward Bynums' contract. So it'll be a trip to see what really happens when that time comes.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#28 » by TonyMontana » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:21 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote: and Tony Montana always tells the truth, even when he lies.

:lol: :lol: I dont lie BIG SNAQ ......... I may twist a little but NEVER LIE MANG............ theres two things I dont brake my words and my balls ............ :wink:
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#29 » by That Nicka » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:54 pm

nostradamus2005 wrote:Thats a terrible deal for Orlando and a wonderful trade for detroit.

Hedo for Mcdyess and Samb? Are you kidding me?
Prince+Mcdyess+Samb for Odom+Turkoglu ?
:lol:

Did I say it was going to happen? Did I say it was the most likely scenario?

I came up with that trade in 30 seconds... Who are you?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#30 » by hermes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:53 pm

he's nostradamus and he can see the future
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#31 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 pm

Per Wiretap:

Several team executives around the NBA believe the Lakers have little interest in moving Lamar Odom and Odom has little interest in leaving Los Angeles.

Odom came into training camp out of shape and it has been a tumultuous couple of weeks for the forward.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#32 » by crazyeights » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 pm

/Thread.
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#33 » by AceFresh » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:08 pm

*Predicts another similar thread will appear in the upcoming weeks.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

Post#34 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Here's the Odom deal I would do:

LA trades / NY receives:
Lamar Odom
Vladimir Radmanovic
Chris Mihm
Coby Karl

NY trades / LA receives:
Stephon Marbury
Wilson Chandler
David Lee

Why this trade works for the Lakers:
With this trade, the Lakers acquire two young players who are on rookie contracts and will serve as the perfect complimentary pieces for their championship run. If Phil Jackson can work the same magic with Marbury that he did with Rodman, Stephon could possibly blossom in the triangle. If not, his HUGE contract expires at the end of the year. He could simply be bought out before the start of the season. Their new lineup:

PG...Marbury...Fisher...Farmer
SG...Bryant...Vujacic
SF...Chandler...Ariza
PF...Gasol...Lee
C...Bynum...Mbenga

Why this trade works for the Knicks:
The Knicks want to part ways with Marbury. Plus, Odom is the perfect player to initiate D'Antonio's offense. Mihm would start in place of the fat and lazy Curry, allowing Randolph to play his more natural position. Radmanovic would serve as a decent 6th man. Their new lineup:

PG...Duhon...Robinson
SG...Crawford...Richardson
SF...Odom...Radmanovic
PF...Randolph...Gallinari
C...Mihm...Curry

What do you think?
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#35 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:31 pm

If Odom leaves the Lakers it will be a cost cutting move pure and simple... Don't get any big hopes for a blockbuster trade... We don't really need one anyway.

Players eventually have to accept reduced roles on teams as they get older or retire... It would be a little shocking of Odom was willing to accept that as soon as next season, but considering that his contract pretty much made him untradeable untill it expired, and since it seems like he's not as interested in big bucks anymore, I could seem him signing in the single didgits for us for a few more years. I'm just not sure if at the end of this season, Lamar at like 8M a year is even in the cards for us...

I think Bynum looks like he deserves the Max, so where does that leave us financially? Kobe's pretty much an expiring... Do we extend him before the bidding wars commence? If so, at what cost? There's going to be some hard-core budget discussions and some creative financing going on at the end of the season if we take home the prize... If not, things might get interesting.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#36 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:44 am

Marbury? Get out.

I hope and pray we deal odom for Gerald Wallace, but who knows now. If odom will take less he'll stay put.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#37 » by That Nicka » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:01 am

[quote="I_Love_This_Game!!"][/quote]

I proposed this same exact deal a few months ago (well close: Odom, Radman for Lee, Marbury)... Lakers would waive Marbury and he's a 20+ mil expiring anyways which would help with Bynum's extension... Lee is the prize of the trade.. He's a a great player in this league (ESPECIALLY off the bench)... At the time I proposed it, we didnt have Powell.. Now that we have him he would probably have to be included at well since he wouldnt get any time behind Pau/Lee.... I would definitely do this... David Lee is that much of a better fit than Lamar AND cheaper... However I posted this on the Knicks board and got flamed...

Wouldnt happen
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,675

Post#38 » by dockingsched » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:28 am

"[Lamar's] starting to get a feel for it. He's starting to play basketball," Jackson said. "It looks like he's playing really well now. His timing's there, his reactions are there, his conditioning's getting better, all those things."
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
parso15
Junior
And1: 4

Post#39 » by parso15 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:15 pm

This article caused a hot debate on the Orlando forum... and the majority of the fans would do a Hedo Turkoglu - Lamar Odom deal.

Odom would add rebounding & PF size to the Magic whereas Hedo would bring his high basketball IQ(triangle demands that) & superier shooting to the table... he might even play the tall guard that Phil Jackson loves so much... probably won't happen but still interesting trade scenario.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#40 » by scoobs07 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:44 pm

parso15 wrote:This article caused a hot debate on the Orlando forum... and the majority of the fans would do a Hedo Turkoglu - Lamar Odom deal.

Odom would add rebounding & PF size to the Magic whereas Hedo would bring his high basketball IQ(triangle demands that) & superier shooting to the table... he might even play the tall guard that Phil Jackson loves so much... probably won't happen but still interesting trade scenario.

This is probably the most likely trade scenario for the Lakers for the following reasons:

1. It works well from a basketball stand point- Turkoglu could be the Lakers starting shooting guard and initiate the offense. This would move Kobe to the small forward position. There, all Kobe would have to do is play without the ball, score and be the defensive stopper. This would allow Kobe to conserve energy by not having to initiate the offense. Ideally, we would have a shooting guard that is a good defensive player and could initiate the offense, but I will take Hedo.

2. It works well financially- Turkoglu is under contract next year for 7 million dollars, which is pretty reasonable. He will most likely opt out for more money, but hey we would get our money's worth by having him on our team this season. The worst thing that could happen is we would have more financial flexibility for Kobe/ Bynum. Maybe even pick somebody up with the MLE.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers