ImageImageImageImageImage

Premature but.......

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

vinnycorleone
Banned User
And1: 0

Premature but....... 

Post#1 » by vinnycorleone » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Hey guys I know this is premature but would you guys want the Lakers to go for the all time single season wins record. Beating Phil and MJ's previous Bulls team that went 72-10?

I wouldn't mind if they took a run at it but I wouldn't want it interfering with the energy or the guys come Playoff time.

What do you guys think?
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Re: Premature but....... 

Post#2 » by SashAlex » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 pm

I think we shouldn't get cocky. The season is very long and with a lot of unexpected issues, so it would be better for us to stay realistic and understand the tough situations that may appear...
lakersfanatic
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by lakersfanatic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Yeah.. it's only been two games into the season...

If it takes not reaching that goal for conserving energy for post season.. im all for not going for it. As soon as they bring the championship back to LA.. we can think about that later. Plus, Phil wants his record Ring/Championship . He'll sacrafice this that for that record any day.
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#4 » by djericho » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm

isn't it something like 11 of the first 15 are @ home (last nights game looked and sounded like a home game right? :lol: ) they can get off to a quick start so it is premature, but main focus should be on the championship.

But yea.. I wouldn't mind the record..... :wink:
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#5 » by Dexmor » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Its premature but possible if healthy. Only reason it's not probable is because the competition is so much better then when the bulls won 72. If tmac goes down or somebody from the hornets and the west isn't so damm deep for even jut a short while and the lakers are healthy they will.
aussie_laker
Sophomore

Post#6 » by aussie_laker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm actually worried about how well we played the first two games. Because it is impossible to keep that level of play up for a long period of time. i would have preferred us to ease into the season and get better as it went along.

Hopefully they can keep playing well all season and not get complacent.
Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#7 » by Minhee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:27 pm

our goal is not regular season, we can go 82-0 for all I care but if we don't win in Mid June it's a failed season. See the 67 win Mavs, 100 win Angels, 16-0 patriots, ask them about their regular season honors.
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#8 » by Farm Raid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Dexmor wrote:Only reason it's not probable is because the competition is so much better then when the bulls won 72.

Uhhh...

Really?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,957

Post#9 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 am

I actually hope we don't come anywhere close. I want all our energies focused on winning a championship. Anything else is a potential distraction that we don't need to mess with. The ring is the thing.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#10 » by semi-sentient » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:32 am

I think we should go for 100 regular season wins, which would probably give us home court advantage in the 1st round of the playoffs.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:51 am

Stuff like this is the reason we are looked upon bad, calm down people it's too much season left. Lets just enjoy watching the games and let the team handle their goals which I don't think 72-10 is one of them.

Remember people really don't post on our board but they read stuff like this and laugh their butts off on how arrogant our board is cause of topics like these .
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#12 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:11 am

^^^Yeah, I agree. Really, let's just enjoy what we have. Let's play hungry, instill a defense-first philosphy based on team defense/rotations/toughness/physicality, work in some more nuances of the triangle to include the new rotation, actually get our rotations down permanently, and try to go into the playoffs healthy (and if possible, playing our best basketball going into the playoffs...but health comes first). Championship>>>>>regular season wins. Regular season wins can be for nothing....only the title validates them. Nobody can take a title away from you.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
vinnycorleone
Banned User

Post#13 » by vinnycorleone » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:01 am

Actually deep the reason I posted this is because last year after we lost in the finals Andrew Bynum said that the teams wants to go for the single season record.

He said something along the lines of : "I think the record is 72-10 by the bulls...we're gonna try and go for that"
josemendoza88
Sophomore

Post#14 » by josemendoza88 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:11 am

I actually dont see any problem with trying to go for the record.

If it keeps the lakers hungry all season then they won't get over confident and content with their success. If they practice a killer instinct all season long, they will be in a good mental state come playoff time.

Of course the record isn't the most important thing, but it could be something that the team can use to its advantage.
vinnycorleone
Banned User

Post#15 » by vinnycorleone » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:20 am

"It's definitely going to be special," he said. "It'll be my first time playing with Pau [Gasol]. I think once we get that combination going, I can't see anybody stopping us. I think we're going to try and chase the Bulls' record."

thats the exact quote its from an LA Times article but the article is too old to be on their website

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... 4789.story
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#16 » by Anklebreaker702 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:33 am

Waaaaaaaaay to early, lets see how we look around Feb-March before this type of talk starts. We've been so injury riddled the past few years we don't need anything to jinx how well things have started
VETERAN LAKER FAN
AceFresh
Senior
And1: 3

Post#17 » by AceFresh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:46 am

Calm down guys!
LOl Optimisim is good,

but let's realize what we've done.

Beaten an basically Oden-less Blazer team @ home

and beaten a camby-less still figuring out the kinks clippers.

Now if we start blowing through teams like NOH or HOU.
Then we can start talking
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#18 » by SashAlex » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:53 am

Dexmor wrote:Its premature but possible if healthy. Only reason it's not probable is because the competition is so much better then when the bulls won 72. If tmac goes down or somebody from the hornets and the west isn't so damm deep for even jut a short while and the lakers are healthy they will.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Man, i wish i could see your face and reaction when the Lakers after a 73-9 , or 74-8 season, whatever !! ...get upset by an 8th seed team, or even in the conference semis or finals...
That won't happen even if Phil would have had that Bulls team again !!

The goal is to have homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs, and i doubt the Celtics will end the season with more than 60 wins, but who knows ?! It will depend on their respective records in March and April...

Finishing with the all-time record will put a lot of pressure on players like Farmar, Vujacic, Ariza, Odom and not only... even Kobe !

This thread would be more actual if we had a 33-2 record, but hey, we're just 2-0, beating teams that were far away from their best !

Pathetic !
Kweli
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Kweli » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:29 am

semi-sentient wrote:I think we should go for 100 regular season wins, which would probably give us home court advantage in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Actually, once we get 100 wins we get a 1st round bye
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#20 » by aroba » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 am

As long as Lakers keep defending the way they are, this team could be more talented/deep than 96 Bulls were. I was a Bulls diehard fan those days and din't miss any of their games. There's some sense of defensive colectiveness and sense of greatness in this Lakers that just look like those Bulls (that's Phil's touch). Even have way better bench....but yes, competition looks tougher nowadays, especially in the west.

I expect getting close to 72 wins record.

Greetings

Return to Los Angeles Lakers