Lakers Want Better Second Halves From Gasol

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

jdub114
Junior
And1: 0

Lakers Want Better Second Halves From Gasol 

Post#1 » by jdub114 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:24 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedit ... 6213.story

Jackson talks about Kobe pusing the envelope a little bit too much. I think he is right. Kobe did make some key shots in the 4th the other night to pull away from Denver but I he did miss a couple too where he could have easily just have passed it to an open shooter or feed the post. Kobe is my favorite player but I just wish he would balanced throughout the whole game.
"One plus one is two, all day long, and it’s never gonna change. And that’s factorial." - Starbury
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Lakers Want Better Second Halves From Gasol 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:27 pm

Kobe felt the need to take over in the second half, because when we did feed Gasol in the first half, it was what, still tied right? I have no problem with the game Kobe played the other night.

I want better second half coaching.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kreuk
Analyst

Post#3 » by Kreuk » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:21 pm

TyCobb wrote:I want better second half coaching.

Phil does more coaching via the media than he does in games.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#4 » by Erik Eleven » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:31 pm

I haven't listened to the interview, but I think this is just Phil making sure everyone knows that they're under the gun and need to perform at the top of their ability from here on out. The short break is over, Pau. Next up for criticism, Kobe?

I'm with Ty. I had more of a problem with the first half (and second half) coaching than I did Gasol's second half or Kobe's taking over. Where was the hard nosed defense of game 1 and 2? I would have expected Phil to give them an ear-full after that first quarter hack job.

Who is coaching our defense anyway this season? Is it Rambis or Phil? I heard talk about Rambis being in charge of the defense, but was that ever substantiated? I hope he does take over that responsibility from Phil.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#5 » by microfib4thewin » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:23 am

You guys have to understand that playing defense on the road is very different from playing at home. Even Boston has a few cracks when they made their road trip out West. I didn't like our C grade defense in the 1st half, but it was much better in the 2nd half, not fouling into penalty, AI and Melo still cold, you can't ask for more against a team that regularly scores 110 a night.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#6 » by Teen Girl Squad » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:45 am

Plus given our coach and personnel (general lack of defense and a coach who tend to want players to figure it out mentally/on the court), it will take time for the defense to round out.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#7 » by TonyMontana » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:53 am

TyCobb wrote:Kobe felt the need to take over in the second half, because when we did feed Gasol in the first half, it was what, still tied right? I have no problem with the game Kobe played the other night.

I want better second half coaching.

Yuppppp.
Everyone knows thats the killer instinct about Kobe. His will and ability to take over a game at any givin time.
And that time always comes in the second half.
As far as P.J, I think instead of his public outcry about Gasol or anyone else for that matter should be addressed to his coaching, not Pau since the play calling comes from his end not Pau.
But I can see his (P.J) point too, maybe he feels that Pau does need to play a bit more agressive comes 2nd half cause I actually thought that he was tired in the second half of the Nuggs game.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:06 am

Eh, I thought foul trouble was our biggest problem in the Nuggs game, which pretty much threw our offense (and defense) out of whack. I like the fact that Kobe does take over during certain stretches of the game because that's what he's here for -- to close the deal. I don't think we'll ever see a truly balanced game from Kobe because he reacts to team needs more times than not, and that's something you really can't plan for. Him "pushing the envelope" is what got us the momentum to win the game.

Anyway, I thought Gasol had himself a decent second half (9 reb, 1 stl, 1 blk) despite not scoring much. He carried the load in the 1st half, and Kobe carried it in the 2nd half. Take away the foul trouble and I think we would have seen a more balanced attack.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Me+_You-
Banned User

Post#9 » by Me+_You- » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:13 am

jdub114 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakersfyi3-2008nov03,0,6856213.story

Jackson talks about Kobe pusing the envelope a little bit too much. I think he is right. Kobe did make some key shots in the 4th the other night to pull away from Denver but I he did miss a couple too where he could have easily just have passed it to an open shooter or feed the post. Kobe is my favorite player but I just wish he would balanced throughout the whole game.

I agree with you, Kobe did make some big shots but he did force it some also. You just have to live with that from Kobe, you have to take the good with the bad. He's always had a questionable shot selection. Overall good game by him though.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#10 » by TruSkool » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:13 am

good call by Phil Jackson

here's the proof: (vs nuggets)

first half- 16points/7rebounds
second half-0points/9rebounds

total- 16p/16r

kobe is the man, but gasol needs to get more touches. he can pretty much get to the rim at will, against any big man i can think of...and 7 out of 10 times, hes going to the line
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#11 » by TruSkool » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:14 am

oh, and this just shows that the lakers mean big business when they have a 3-0 record and still the staff calls out a team saying they want to "utilize their weapons"
Me+_You-
Banned User

Post#12 » by Me+_You- » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:17 am

Speaking of Gasol, Marc Gasol looks real good. We couldn't have kept this kid? he's very skilled and tough inside. I like what I see out of him.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers