ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum doesnt look as good as two years ago right now

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Re: Bynum doesnt look as good as two years ago right now 

Post#21 » by Erik Eleven » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Every expert has agreed that the Bynum/Gasol duo won't have much problems playing offense together, but they all raised questions about how they're going to play defense together. So far, I think Phil has decided to straighten out the big wrinkle first — defense. And it's already working out pretty damn well. It could be argued that we have the best defensive big man rotation in the league, way ahead of schedule. Besides, Drew isn't even in game shape yet. He's still looking tired in transition defense during second halves of games.

In my opinion, Bynum's biggest talents will always be on the offensive end. Fans must be patient and know that he will get back up to speed. But I don't think Phil will go to him too much just yet. For another while, most of his baskets will be put-backs and easy dunks. I can only guess, but Phil probably thinks that Drew needs to expend all his energy on the defensive end, and as little as possible on offense. At least until he's in NBA game shape and so far, he's not. In the mean time, we have Gasol — one of the most efficient big men to go to for consistent buckets in the paint.

I think he'll start to dominating more on the offensive end come December or January, which could make for a fun Christmas showing against the Celtics.

Patience.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#22 » by TommyTheCat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 am

he looks like he's showing better touch from 4-7 feet out than i remember. looks like he's got some nice moves instead of just dunks. i can't wait until the rust comes off and he gets used to playing with gasol.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#23 » by El Hardee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:55 am

My only beef with Whineum is all that crying, he cries on every call and thinks he should get the Kobe,Duncan calls. He needs to quit acting like such a wuss and just play, the calls will come.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#24 » by Dr Aki » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:50 am

hes been bricking mini-jumpers and hooks that seem too long and bouncing off the back of the rim too hard

he also doesnt seem to have the best rebounding position on the offensive end, he gets his hands to a lot of balls but doesnt control them because hes off balance a lot, but hes still learning, it isnt as if oppositions are just going to allow him to get good position down deep
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#25 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:40 am

He reminds me of Amare post surgery. He's playing really well but despite his knee. Like Amare, he shows moments of full explosion but doesn't look nearly as fluid as the same time last year. I think it won't be until Jan where we can really evaluate his knee/mental game. Bynum has and needs to continue honing his defensive and rebounding game but eventually we're going to need his inside scoring game too.
Kakish
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Kakish » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 pm

SoCAL24 wrote:really? I though Bynum's been awesome. All that talk about him and Gasol not playing well together. I think the Lakers are better than they were at any point last season. He's what Gasol needed desperately and I swear he's got the best hands in the league, pretty much his catching ability is the opposite of Kwame's. Just last night I saw him corral a horrible pass from Odom to put it in, then Kobe threw him a bullet from about 5 feet away and he put it in.

I understand his numbers aren't where they need to be, IMO Phil should've played him more last night, but he's a huge presence. Dampier was lucky as hell to grab that many boards last night. Bynum will continue to improve as the season goes on also.

I agree.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#27 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 am

He has grown into a man but MANY MANY MANY posters said Bynum would smoke Shaqs #s this year and that clearly isnt the case.

Bynum at this point isnt quiet there but hopefully he stays healthy

Howard and Yao are the guys

Bynum is up there w/ Chandler, Kaman, Camby... and many others but he hasnt joined the elite crowd w/ Howard and Yao.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#28 » by Dr Aki » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:48 am

well, at the end of this year, if he doesnt have a go-to post move, then hes definitely behind shaq right outta college
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#29 » by TruSkool » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 pm

odom needs pau to be effective
pau needs bynum to be effective
bynum needs farmar to be effective
farmar needs ariza to be effective
fisher and kobe are already effective
hermes
RealGM