ImageImageImageImageImage

If Odom can't start at SF, we should trade him.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

If Odom can't start at SF, we should trade him. 

Post#1 » by VIPER8382 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of Lamar, but he is currently (and will continue to be) under utilized with the current Lakers group. In addition to that, Phil is actually playing Bynum a good 5-7 minutes less than he could just to get Lamar the 26 mpg he is getting. I see 2 very good solutions to this problem, and feel that we need to jump on one of them very soon.

I am feeling much better about the Lakers than I did before the Boston game (as I am sure most of you are also), but there is one thing I just can't get over. If Luke Walton can start af SF for us, then why can't Lamar. Lamar is logging 26.1 MPG (excluding his one start when Pau missed a game), while we all know he can easily log 36-38 mpg. Meanwhile Bynum is averaging only 28.6, and I think he could easily go at least 35, but doesn't get to because of the minutes Gasol and Odom need at the 4/5. Why not give Lamar a shot at starting SF (while he still spells Gasol at PF), give Bynum a few more minutes, and relegate Walton and Vlad to situational reserves.

Something like this:

SF- Odom (14) / Ariza (26) / Walton and Vlad (8) (who gets the time would depend on the matchup)
PF- Gasol (25) / Odom (23) / Powell (depth)
C- Bynum (35) / Gasol (13) / Mihm (depth)

That gets Odom on the court an extra 10 minutes, and Bynum for an extra 6, and the only cost is giving Walton and or Vlad 16 less minutes a game. I am really confused as to why this isn't happening.

If for whatever reason I am missing something here (and Lamar just can't play SF for us even 12-15 mpg) then why not trade Odom and Mihm in a 3 way deal. Odom (along with Farmar for the right player) for a legit championship caliber role player to almost star level SF, and Mihm and the Charlotte 2nd to OKC for Joe Smith to assume Odom's current role. Some names that come to mind are Prince (not likely), Wallace, Deng, Jackson, Miller (play at SG w/ Bryant at SF), Turkoglu, Battier, or Kirilenko (only if they would take back Vlad or Luke also).

Then we could look like this:

SF- New SF (24-30, depending on who we get) / Ariza (18-24) / Walton (depth) / Vlad (depth)
PF- Gasol (25) / Smith (23) / Powell (depth) / Vlad (depth)
C- Bynum (35) / Gasol (13) / Smith (depth)

So why haven't we seen Odom at SF to see if he can perform well there, so we can move on to one of these options if he can't. If we wait too long Joe Smith will probably find a new home helping one of the teams we would need to get by in the playoffs.

I absolutely love what Odom brings to this team, but at only 26 mpg (with 6 of those being minutes Bynum could have) he is a waste of talent and resources for the Lakers. If he can't get the extra minutes he needs and deserves at SF, let's get a return on our investment while we still can.
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Re: If Odom can't start at SF, we should trade him. 

Post#2 » by Tommy Trojan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm

More Lamar Odom trade threads?

Come on guys let's get off of Lamar's beep!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,565

Post#3 » by hermes » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 pm

so why do you want to burn out our players before the playoffs?
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#4 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm

so the Spurs should trade Manu because he can't start for the Spurs?
Forum permissions