ImageImageImageImageImage

SSOL and the Bench Mob

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

joe.linnen
Banned User
And1: 0

SSOL and the Bench Mob 

Post#1 » by joe.linnen » Thu Jan 1, 2009 9:13 am

I love Mike D'Antoni's SSOL style of basketball. Its fun to watch and it makes players better than what they really are(i.e. Duhon dishing out 22 dimes and Lee post 36 points and 21 boards). I want to see what it could do to Farmar, Vujacic, Aiza, Odom, and Gasol. The five players that I listed are great player and that unit could be a starting line up in the NBA as well. The rotaion of our team becoms tighter with ony 9 players. Radmanovic, Mihm, Powell, and Sun will only play is the gae is a blow out. That would mean extra minutes for our players that are in the rotation. The extra playing time with the SSOL offense would make out bench the best in the leauge(which we are already),but I want us to put a big gap between our bench and the number 2 bench in the leauge(the Portland Trail Blazers)

Before SSOL:
Gasol-17.4ppg/8.9rpg/3.7apg
Odom-8.5ppg/6.2rpb/2.3apg
Ariza-9.1ppg/5.1rpg/2.3apg
Vujacic-5.6ppg/1.6rpg/1.8apg
Farmar-7.9ppg/2.2rpg/2.4apg

What it could look like after SSOL:
Gasol-20ppg/10rpg/4apg
Odom-15ppg/10rpg/5apg
Ariza-11ppg/6rpg/3apg
Vujacic-11ppg/2rpg/2apg
Farmar-13ppg/4rpg/6apg
(this would be ith a full season with this offense)

What do you guys think? I'm I right or wrong about he numbers? Is this good for our team? Please fill me in on everything. I really need your help with this because I really feel that this could work for us( the Bench Mob)
joe.linnen
Banned User

Re: SSOL and the Bench Mob 

Post#2 » by joe.linnen » Thu Jan 1, 2009 10:35 am

so none of you guys think this is a good idear at all for our bench?
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#3 » by G35 » Thu Jan 1, 2009 1:15 pm

I don't like the SSOL (and what it says backwards) for the Lakers. I always used to wonder why teams said they want to keep the score in the 80's or 90's. I mean when you win who cares where the score is. Imo the Lakers as a team should slow the pace down and put the score in the mid 90's. Trying to score so quickly has more cons than pros:

Cons
- Put up more bad shots
- Gives the other team a chance to come back with more possessions (this is the biggest con)
- Defeats the purpose of having two 7ftrs on the court. Big men don't like to run that much and they don't get to post up and use their natural advantages.
- Lakers don't have good enough shooters anyway

The SSOL is for undersized teams to create tempo and promote size mismatches. I think the Lakers play better when they get touches to whoever is at the PF/C at the time. Bynum needs touches to feel included as does Lamar. Also SSOL has you taking long shots which leads to long rebounds which means your defense will not have a chance to get set. Which in the end negates the advantage of two 7 ftrs.......
I'm so tired of the typical......
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#4 » by joe.linnen » Thu Jan 1, 2009 3:55 pm

G35 wrote:I don't like the SSOL (and what it says backwards) for the Lakers. I always used to wonder why teams said they want to keep the score in the 80's or 90's. I mean when you win who cares where the score is. Imo the Lakers as a team should slow the pace down and put the score in the mid 90's. Trying to score so quickly has more cons than pros:

Cons
- Put up more bad shots
- Gives the other team a chance to come back with more possessions (this is the biggest con)
- Defeats the purpose of having two 7ftrs on the court. Big men don't like to run that much and they don't get to post up and use their natural advantages.
- Lakers don't have good enough shooters anyway

The SSOL is for undersized teams to create tempo and promote size mismatches. I think the Lakers play better when they get touches to whoever is at the PF/C at the time. Bynum needs touches to feel included as does Lamar. Also SSOL has you taking long shots which leads to long rebounds which means your defense will not have a chance to get set. Which in the end negates the advantage of two 7 ftrs.......

I get what your saying but that isn't what I'm talking about. Our second unit already plays at a faster pace than our starting unit. The only big men that will have to run is Odom and Gasol, both which are able to play at such a pace. I know that this type of offense has a lot of cons but I think our bench can pull it off and make it work for them. Odom would trive in a offense like this, or we could insert Powell in Gasol place. The only reason this came to mind is because I want out ywo units to be totally different, the first unit a half court and then the second a full court. It should give teams a hard time defending us. They would have to send in special line ups to defend our half courtand full court. Maybe its jus wishful thinking on my part hell it works on NBA LIVE 09...lol
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#5 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Jan 1, 2009 4:03 pm

Haven't you seen the bench mob run whenever they could at the beginning of the season? They stopped doing it because Farmar is a terrible lead guard, hence the reason why the bench has been outplayed when they went on their trip to the East.
kevin_405
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#6 » by kevin_405 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 1:59 am

Maybe the league needs to look at changing the shot clock into 7 secs instead of 24 secs.. Will sure make NBA more exiting..
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#7 » by joe.linnen » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:13 am

kevin_405 wrote:Maybe the league needs to look at changing the shot clock into 7 secs instead of 24 secs.. Will sure make NBA more exiting..

I would love to see some team crumble under something like that...I must say that would be funny as hell
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#8 » by hermes » Fri Jan 2, 2009 6:19 pm

Duhon's assists have been huge for my fantasy team
kevin_405
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#9 » by kevin_405 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 10:05 pm

Can u imagine the pace of the game.. Knicks games are seeing 230+ points...
If both teams start playing the same style we could have 300+ points. Will bring in crowds, will make ppl change defense.. It will be a fantastic game..

Maybe in the all start they could have it as a showcase..

joe.linnen wrote:
kevin_405 wrote:Maybe the league needs to look at changing the shot clock into 7 secs instead of 24 secs.. Will sure make NBA more exiting..

I would love to see some team crumble under something like that...I must say that would be funny as hell
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#10 » by hermes » Fri Jan 2, 2009 11:03 pm

the change in defense would be that there would be none
7 second shot clock would be get the ball up court and shoot it, no time to set up plays, defenses

even drives to the basket would be limited, spot up shooters, and guys who can get offensive rebounds would be king

Return to Los Angeles Lakers