ImageImageImageImageImage

Bynum: not playing with same energy as last yr

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Re: Bynum: not playing with same energy as last yr 

Post#21 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:00 am

dcash4 wrote:http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_05.45a38c9.html

To solve his recent struggles, Andrew Bynum is delving into the past.

He's been watching film from just before he suffered his season-ending knee injury last season, a six-game stretch in which he averaged 17.3 points and 12.2 rebounds and established himself as LA's center of the future.

"When I watch last year's tape and this year's tape, there's a difference I can see pretty clearly," Bynum said. "I don't think I'm out there taking advantage of the opportunities I'm getting right now. The only way to change that is to put more into it."

Bynum's immediate results were mixed: He grabbed 10 rebounds in 35 minutes, but scored only four points and was rarely a factor on offense.

i don't know whether to be glad he recognizes his sluggish play, or be worried that it seems like he says this every 4-5 games with little results. he avg'd less than 8 rebounds in december for crying out loud. thats inexcusable.

Yes its good. Before change can be made you 1st have to recognize that change is needed. It doesnt have to be scoring all the time. Defense, Rebounding, & Blocking shots is whats needed most
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#22 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:07 am

TonyMontana wrote:You would think that big ass contract he just recieved shouldve gotten his ass motivated.
But hey I dont want to sit here and say "I told you so". or "We shouldve waited to see how he would do before we resigned him" cause then EVERY body on here will get mad at me........lolllllll
But me personally I wish we wouldve resigned him for that much money and waited to see how he would do this season.
But we all know what happens when these guys sign for big money.
Look at Luke, Vlad, Sasha.
And you know what even funnier, and you guys need to admit this.
HIS FREAKIN AGENT.
Where is this dirt bag at now? Specially when he was asking for max.
Oh Bynum is making it rain now, too bad its in the clubs and not on the court.
It's an adjustment period Tony. You go from #1 post option to 2nd post option & #3 option overall its a transition period. Right now he really doen't know where to be most times (offensively). Some players lose it on both ends of the court when they are not having it good on 1 end or the other. Main thing is he needs to find himself defensively 1st because thats mainly what we need from him but secondly he has to quit worrying about which option he is & just be the man. When you know what you can do, go d o it, period!
VETERAN LAKER FAN
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#23 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:51 am

TonyMontana wrote:And you know what even funnier, and you guys need to admit this.
HIS FREAKIN AGENT.
Where is this dirt bag at now?
Laying in the cut smiling at what Trevor is doing because he's also his agent too.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
tayzer
Junior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by tayzer » Tue Jan 6, 2009 6:54 am

Bynum needs to learn to do the pump fake. Instead of chucking some scared hook shots and jumpers. Dude has been a dissappointment lately in the post.

He should learn the quick first step power move that Shaq and Dwright always does, it's a good go to move and it gets your opponent into foul trouble. I'm sure it's not too hard to learn since it only takes a quick step, a pump or bump and power up. He's a big man, it should come naturally for his size.
WCDYNASTY
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#25 » by WCDYNASTY » Tue Jan 6, 2009 7:10 am

I been saying this about Bynum all year.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#26 » by crazyeights » Tue Jan 6, 2009 7:34 am

Is Kareem still coaching Bynum? I haven't seen him around much this year.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#27 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Jan 6, 2009 8:20 am

HES NOT PLAYING FOR A CONTRACT ANYMORE... DUH!!!
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#28 » by Dr Aki » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:42 am

meh

bynum gets up for big games...

he's no longer on a team thats required to fight 100% for every win, every night

we want to see maximum effort, but maybe hes finding it hard to get motivated against teams they should be beating, which is 90% of the NBA...
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#29 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:26 pm

Phil told him to grab rebounds, block shots and whatever scoring came with it — fine. Bynum responded by saying in the media he's going to put up 20-10 and be an all-star.

I've given him until Dec-Jan to realize that Phil was serious. He's 21, right? I'm counting the days. It's time for him to focus, get a little mean and start grabbing 15 boards and 4 blocks a game. The thing is, he can do it. Somebody just needs to piss him off enough so that the nickel finally falls down.

He'll get it, and I think he'll get it soon.
Rashard_
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Rashard_ » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:56 pm

His teammates arent looking for him the same way they did last year. Last year his teammates set him up with alot of easy buckets and it helped build his confidence to an all time high. Stu says it over and over again during the telecast that the Lakers should look to get Drew more easy buckets to get his juices flowing and to help make him feel more apart of the action. I think if the Lakers did that we would see much more of the Bynum we say last year.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#31 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:58 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:It's time for him to focus, get a little mean and start grabbing 15 boards and 4 blocks a game. The thing is, he can do it. Somebody just needs to piss him off enough so that the nickel finally falls down.

The crazy thing is that I believe he can get pretty close to those numbers as well. Heck, I think I projected him to be at 14/12/3 this season, or somewhere along those lines. This was assuming that he'd be better conditioned and less foul prone than last season though. Last season he was a monster around the glass, and per 36 one of best rebounders/shot blockers in the league (he might have actually been tops as far as bigs that play more than 20 MPG goes). There is no reason why he shouldn't be top 5 in both of these categories. When he manages to do that, we're are going to be incredibly hard to beat (moreso than we are now), so hopefully he realizes it and starts putting in the effort. If he does and we win the championship, he can take satisfaction in knowing that he brought us something we were missing last season and it got us over the hump.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#32 » by El Hardee » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:04 pm

Can we please stop making excuses for the big baby. HE SUCKS, bottom line, we got stroked by him and his agent. You cant teach heart or intensity, none of which he has. His moping around the court and crying on every call is so weak. Our biggest weakness is toughness, how are we considered soft when we got a 7 ft beast in the middle. The dude is Elden Cambell and Benoit Benjamin all over again.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#33 » by TylersLakers » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:02 pm

El Hardee wrote:Can we please stop making excuses for the big baby. HE SUCKS, bottom line, we got stroked by him and his agent. You cant teach heart or intensity, none of which he has. His moping around the court and crying on every call is so weak. Our biggest weakness is toughness, how are we considered soft when we got a 7 ft beast in the middle. The dude is Elden Cambell and Benoit Benjamin all over again.

That's a little harsh.

I agree with EE. He's certainly capable, he's got to play mean. The only way you can get that spark is by dunking on someone. That seems to fire every young player up, and Drew had a good start last night with that dunk over Hilton Armstrong. I'm curious as to see how he'll do against the Warriors tonight in Oakland.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#34 » by doozyj » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:15 pm

I agree, he has a little Elden Campbell in him. That almost non effort about him. He has got to play with a little attitude and throw that **** down sometimes. I don't know what's up with crying on every call. The kid hacks everyone with fouls. Maybe that's just it, he is really still a kid and obviously needs more experience.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers